Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

I saw a very smart man once in a dinghy who first appeared to be a total idiot. Imagine my surprise to see this guy with his normal green/red bow light that did not disturb his night vision and instead of the all-round white on a pole where he could be impaired by the light; he was wearing a bicycle helmet with his white battery light fixed on a short staff atop his head. He was the tallest thing in his dinghy and where ever he looked the light was not in his view. He also had placed a black painted CD disk on the staff just under the light that blocked the light from shining down around him. When I first saw him getting in his dinghy, I thought he was "in costume", but the result as he motored away was brilliant!
chef2sail, Bene505 and zeehag like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
As I said originally, I would love to have a proper set of running lights for a tiller operated inflatable.
Of course the rules are international, I'm not an idiot, but if those legal lights destroy MY visibility then they are of no use to ME!
I would much rather run dark with excellent visibility than be lit legally and be running blind.
So the intelligent option is to run red/green bow and a white stern as a sailboat does, giving the operator good visibility and other boats a pretty good idea of where you are and where you are heading, legal or not.
What is wrong with that? I hope YOUR choice is not to run blind, legally.
Perfect choice....exactly what we do. R?G on the bow on a suctiuon cup/ Velcro and an elevated white light on a pole attached to the transom board .We put a plate ( metal placed right below the white light on the stern ( on an elevated clamped on 4 ft pole) so there is no danger of being night blinded.

We are easily seen without blinding ourselves or anyone else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

We used an AquaSignal all-around light on our 5 HP, 10 foot dink until it was stolen. The stick was only two feet high and the light not strong enough to really impact night vision. We always use a light as the Oakland Estuary is busy even at night and we hate to get run over while returning from the club. We always wear life vests because we often cross pretty open waters, do the occasional surf landing and also dink in the Delta where the San Joaquin Sheriff’s Department has a zero tolerance for boaters in general. We cable lock the PFDs to the dink with a cable through the D-rings or just take them with us in a boat bag or knapsack.

My two pet peeves are kayakers in the Estuary that think their little glow sticks tied to thier bow or stern are actually visible from all angles and the fact that they tend to loiter at marina entrances (I’ve come real close to cutting one in half). Besides, the standard is an all-around WHITE light, not glo worm green. The second one is people who turn on their mast head strobe so they can locate their boat in larger anchorages. Get a couple of them doing it and it is like being in a disco for the rest of us who are actually trying to get some sleep.
chef2sail and CaptTony like this.
Old 07-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Bilge.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I hit someone doing EXACTLY as you describe. They were in a black inflatable with no lights on a dark night. No damage was done because I was going about 5 knots. They could not look everywhere at once. A little farther out and I would have been doing 35 knots and they would be dead.
Mmmmm . . .

So there's a difference in being unlit and being camouflaged. If you have a black dink and are wearing black clothes and a black balaclava and all of that on a dark night then it's time to pay real attention. I bet they had a Mercury outboard as well.

How many other boats were coming at them when you hit them? "They" implies there was more one person on the black dink. At 5 knots you wouldn't really suddenly happen on them, a casual scan would have picked up another boat approaching. Sounds like they were smoking something other than cigarettes.

Sorry, not picking, just amused.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-09-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Verbal fisticuffs over...dinghy lights??!!
As dear old Marty (blt2ski) would say "who'd a thunk it ?" .

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

That's actually pretty funny when you put it like that.

This picture is how I feel about dinghy lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you use dinghy lights?-image.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Buy a pie plates, mount it below the white light. That will cut the glare down into the boat and leave it showing all around. Might cost you two bucks.

Of course in MA waters, you may have state rules as well as COLREGS to conform to. And a lot of inflateables can break 7 knots, so there's that question as well. Either way, the big question is whether you are concerned with either safety or the cost of citations, and if you are, then the choices are fairly simple.

As to the guy with the searchlight, COLREGS section 129.a.3 is very clear on that. After the first pass of the searchlight, you're allowed to SHOOT IT OUT in the interest of preserving your might vision, which is essential to national security. A varmint rifle is good for that. Remember, section 129.a.4 also specifies that you're only allowed three shots, so make sure to practice.
Old 07-09-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...As to the guy with the searchlight, COLREGS section 129.a.3 is very clear on that. After the first pass of the searchlight, you're allowed to SHOOT IT OUT in the interest of preserving your might vision, which is essential to national security. A varmint rifle is good for that. Remember, section 129.a.4 also specifies that you're only allowed three shots, so make sure to practice.
Why not just use a shotgun? That'll guarantee you take that sucker out.
zeehag likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-09-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

A shotgun means...You're an urban liberal Democrat who's ever actually met a firearm in real life, have you? There's a reason snipers don't use shotguns, and it ain't the cost of the shell.

Besides, one round for a varmint rifle is way way cheaper than one shotgun shell. "Bullets" are expensive. Always have been. That's why the Chinese firing squads always sent a bill to the family of the "executee".