Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 blade prop or two blade folder

You may have the option of re pitching the 18X17 to an 18X15. Then the cruising would be 2000 rpm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I was a partner in a Vlaiant 40 with my old pal Daryl. The boat came with a fixedd three blade prop. I talked to my friends at Max prop about a new Max prop. They said they would give me one. I said, "Yippeee!". But I quickly learned that the fixed three blade would power the boat effortlessly at hull speed and stop the boat on a dime in the slip. I kept the 3 blade fixed prop and never took them up on their kind offer of a Max prop. There were a few times when sailing I would curse the decision but not often.

I had used Martecs on three boats too and I never had an issue with them. I learned to keep my fingers crossed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-09-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I was a partner in a Vlaiant 40 with my old pal Daryl. The boat came with a fixedd three blade prop. I talked to my friends at Max prop about a new Max prop. They said they would give me one. I said, "Yippeee!". But I quickly learned that the fixed three blade would power the boat effortlessly at hull speed and stop the boat on a dime in the slip. I kept the 3 blade fixed prop and never took them up on their kind offer of a Max prop. There were a few times when sailing I would curse the decision but not often.

I had used Martecs on three boats too and I never had an issue with them. I learned to keep my fingers crossed.
>>>And there's the rub. Efficiency. I think that three blade fixed will get you a lot further in the long run per gallon diesel. On long voyages it will add up significantly. It is designed for max efficiency at your hull speed if sized correctly to your engines RPM. A folder and even a feathering prop could not attain that level due to the fact that the designer had to make many compromises to facilitate folding. They are brilliant compromises though.
Old 07-09-2013

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road

for what it's worth, I am an old evenrude mechanic.. I remember somewhere in my training one of the instructors saying that the best prop would theoretically be a "single blade." I cannot remember what the logic was, but I know two baldes was considered the best option for speed, 3 blades was for general purpose and 4 blades was typically for towing...
Old 07-09-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

A single blade has the least loss from drag (friction), but can't be balanced efficiently. So the next best is 2 bladed.
Old 07-09-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I had a Maxprop on the last boat and loved it, but have not been able to justify the expensive of one for the new boat (or at least not had the money for one that could not be more usefully spent on something else. We have a standard 3 blade and it works fine. Like you we do not motor very much.
Old 07-09-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Hmm so the panel thinks going folding is a good idea with the Gori edging out the non geared types.

I will keep the 3 blader as a spare or in case I lose my marbles and decide to motor sail up wind for days at a time.
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 blade MaxProp Classic II on my SD50 saildrive. I love it. I get nearly zero prop walk in reverse. The boat really behaves so well in reverse that I actually find it easier to go stern into slips.
Old 07-09-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

TQA:
Yes, think that's a good way to go. Only caveat with the Gori is that growth on the prop may prevent it from opening properly. Normal care of your bottom should eliminate that problem.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-09-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Let me get this straight.

You are over propped but you are happy with the sailing performance with a fixed prop. You are cruising in an area where fouling is a problem. But instead of getting a smaller or finer pitch fixed prop which is cheap, functional and can't fail (unless it falls off ), you are considering spending a bunch more on a folder (or similar), which requires more care & maintenance.. and introduces another thing that could go wrong. Hmmmmm. What am I missing here?

If sailing performance was an issue I could understand it but....
capta likes this.