spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work. - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

George b I think you are too discouraging. I also think you were being sarcastic saying to someone who bought a boat a week ago and is obviously new
"Hey, how are you shipping your boat to the world championships"

19 is a good time to follow your dreams. I had a college fund too and suffered through years of struggling to pay attention in the class room. I did go to the U of Hawaii so it wasn't that bad, but who knows what would have happened if I hadn't? What if I had tried to work in the surf industry? It's huge now, those people get paid millions at the top and there are alot of supporting jobs, so what I'm saying if you push hard enough for your dream I'm sure it will work out. Even if you're not a paid racer but work in the sailing industry would be good.

Since alot of the people on here are older they do not understand how the way they were raised to go to school, get a degrading job to learn hard work, go to college, get out and get a job, crap out some kids. Retire and hope you have a few good years left so you can roll up to the marina with your sail cover on and get an appointment to fix you electronic winches. That doesn't work anymore. These same people that tell us this is what we should do are the same ones that brought our country down with their greed. They broke the system for the rest of us but pretend they didnt. When i was a kid my dad was in charge of letting the factory workers know the factory was closing and they were all being fired because they made a deal with a factory in mexico. Now if you go to college if you can pay for it the jobs are all being fought over by these people
With experience and the rest have been shipped to India or they are given to Mexicans because they will do it for less. So follow your dreams.
sailorneverdies likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to northoceanbeach For This Useful Post:
sailorneverdies (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

actually, those who wanted the most stuff for the least money adn didn't care where it came from, or how to pay for it, and those who devalue anything they feel should be free killed the economy, across many generations.

Your hands ain't clean, scion of the free download-theft-is-okay generation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
George b I think you are too discouraging. I also think you were being sarcastic saying to someone who bought a boat a week ago and is obviously new
"Hey, how are you shipping your boat to the world championships"
I think George and the grumpy old men on here like me are just trying to give a small dose of reality to the OP. I see a strong school sucks, work sucks, some other things in my hometown suck, sailing is fun, I think I should sail for a living in this thread.

I'm all for following your dream but just because sailing is fun does not mean it's an easy career. The OP has already projected his career out to where he get paid huge buck to deliver a boat then flown home to race his sponsored dinghy. Some people do this but they have probably been sailing all their life and are the best at what they do and had to work very hard to get there and are probably still poor, but they love what they do. It is possible but probably not as easy as we would hope it to be or we would all be doing it. The people that succeed are very focused, determined willing to sacrifice a lot and work very hard to get there.
chef2sail and mark2gmtrans like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Just for the record, I’m neither grumpy nor old. As you recall, the OP alluded to being an active I14 racer and it was only after my question as to his ranking did he indicate that never raced a I14. Chances are I’m the only person posting to this thread who has actually raced on boats with paid positions and against boats with professional crews. I happen to know professional racers. Do any of you? If I wanted to be sarcastic, I would have written something to the effect: “If you want to race professionally, first be born a New Zealander or Australian”. As to his prospects, I am a past national champion and am still waiting for my first paying gig. It is good to have dreams, but just understand there are scores of nineteen year olds in Canada who are already more accomplished racers who also share in that same dream.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-10-2013

I didn't say you were grumpy or old. That was just your way of trying I give the guy a reality check and cut him down a peg. I just know that people do get paid to sail and it is not as hard as some of you make it out to be. You think that just you are still waiting for your first paying gig that that's how it works for everyone. Not true. I'm not holding out any expectations for myself but c'mon. There are alot of rich sailors. Where does the money go? Someone is getting paid. Someone is making sails to support their racing or rigging or surveying. Stop acting like you have to go to college to have a successful life. He doesn't sound like he wants to go to college right now so let's keep thinking of alternative lifestyles.

I'm just detecting an undercurrent of it didn't work for me therefore it doesn't work. Luck, skill, drive, courage. There are alot of factors.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 07-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

As I stated from the start I felt that there were things that Steve here needs to learn. I am another one who continually tells people to pursue their dreams, but I also tell people that they should not pursue their dreams to the detriment of being able to live in reality. In reality most people like to eat, they like to have a place to live, and they might like a pack of smokes and a bath now and then too. The way we get those things is by working, being financially responsible, and by learning the difference between a realistic set of goals and a fantasy.

Those who run away from things when things get tough should always be sure they are running toward something better. I know that in my youth I was always running toward a better future, not running away from a bad past. Much better one should run facing forward, than to run facing backward, it tends to be much less painful.

Now, as to some advice for our young friend here... first I would say that I would seriously have him consider his options, in a far more realistic light. I do not know what he paid for his boat, I do not know the true condition of it, nor what it would take to get it into perfect racing condition. He did state that it was not in perfect racing condition, so I do know that much, so what I would suggest is that he figure out the realistic cost of getting it to the tip top shape it would have to be in for racing. Then figure out if he can raise the money fast enough for it to be a goal and not a fantasy for him to do that with the boat.

Next, I would come to the decision on whether to keep the boat he has or trade it for something more practical, or sell it outright and have money to pay off the tickets or whatever it is that has his license to drive jacked up. Remember he said something about that too. If he cannot afford to put the boat into tip top racing condition it needs to be sold or traded, and the trade would have to be for something worthwhile, either a live aboard, or a car or pick up, or something that would give him either shelter or transportation or something that is of lasting benefit.

Third and not at all least, I would have to sit down and come up with a workable plan to feed, clothe, and shelter myself, because real men do not bum off of family for prolonged periods of time, they work, and pay their own way. I would not go to sea with a man who is not more than just willing to work, but who has proven himself willing, ready, able and above all capable of doing work to earn a living. I just feel that there is no reason not to pursue your dreams, but dreams and goals are different from fantasies.

I am not trying to be cruel about it, but instead I would like to give this young man the kind of grip by the collar and good firm shaking about that my father and grandfather gave me when I put my head up my arse as a young man a few times. Later on I saw the wisdom of what they were teaching me, and I did the same with the kids I raised, gentle and kind are not always the loving thing to do, sometimes a good boot in the pants is more loving than a hug.
Old 07-10-2013

I like your post mark, however I disagree that he needs to make the boat in tip top racing shape now or sell it. We don't know his level exactly but I think we all agree that you dot go pro overnight. So even if he doesn't have a contender at least he has a boat that he can use every day in all conditions to learn on. It might actually be a little better this way sice he can beat it up more an may not be afraid to thrash it like he would if it were 30k an he was making payments.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 07-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
actually, those who wanted the most stuff for the least money adn didn't care where it came from, or how to pay for it, and those who devalue anything they feel should be free killed the economy, across many generations.

Your hands ain't clean, scion of the free download-theft-is-okay generation.
Still railing I see. As if the workers are to blame for Detroit for instance. Tax payers are responsible for the corruption, 52 minute average response time of PD officers, and the reduction of their healthcare and pension. Those lazy workers wanting free stuff, shame on them!

Im with Mark again on this. Men dont live off charity unless they are priest, monks, or rabbis. Even then they give- they just give of the spirit and mind.

Ive no problem with this kid. He wants to spend his last pennies on a world class racer with no prospects of racing or paying thats his biz. Just dont get all butt hurt when people like me are less than rosy in our congratulations.

This is a public forum is it not? My opinions are my opinions. Ignore or take heed. Makes no difference to me.
Old 07-10-2013

I think that to be a racer, racing comes first, whether you have to mooch until you are thirty. Whatever it takes has to be the attitude.
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Jeez - you guys take it to PRWG.

The kid just wants to get paid sailing. Who doesn't?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Tags
crew available , employment , funding , international14 , skiff