Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

Harbourless: I don't believe the OP is a live-aboard, or asking for advice on doing so. From the sounds of it, he has financed the purchase of a small sailboat, and would like to continue making payments in order to be a responsible person and meet his obligations.
He seems to be reaching out to other sailors in the hopes of some help getting work.

Sailorneverdies: I'm sorry I can't be of more help, being on the other coast, however I would recommend a bit more of an introduction, and maybe a bit of info on your background, and work experience, in the even that some people here might know of some work for you.
bljones and Seaduction like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jgbrown For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-09-2013), sailorneverdies (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Well obviously he cant be a liveaboard i was simply being harsh in my criticisms to make the point that at 19 your life savings is not really a life savings it more like a quarter of a lifes savings if that even since most infants i know arent saving money.
then he wants to know how to finance this dinghy. Payments? Lol i hope not its a dinghy. His lifesavings should have covered it. What do you need to store a dinghy? A tarp and three bungees? Hell you dont even need a trailer so im flabbergasted by this whole thread.

Help with what? Im not getting it. Keeping a dinghy? Buy a tarp cover it up and put it in the back yard. Find a job for you? Lol. Ok. Let me get right on that. Spent life savings? What life? Your 3 yers from being a working age.

This whole thread seems just a bad joke and im tired and hot and unable to sleep so perhaps my humor is lacking atm.

Good luck sailor. Your gonna need it. Out.
Old 07-09-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I like what groggy said. its summer go find something in a sailing community. somewhere that gives you a back room to sleep in. lets you keep your boat out back and get out on it every chance you get. your young and presumably in shape. life is there ump in with both feet.
groggy and sailorneverdies like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unkle Toad For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

The kid is out of work and bought a little boat to sail, now he's looking for work. No-one mentioned liveaboard or indeed financing (believe it or not, some people don't actually finance brand new 40ft boats as their first adventure into sailing).
OP, good luck, take anything that comes along, have fun and don't sweat the big stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

From just reading the title I was wondering to admire you for your courage or condem you for your bad descisions. I'm going with the latter. If your are sinking your life savings into a sailboat you should at least be able to cruise or sleep on it.

But if I do hire you will you take me out sailing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I think good for you. Your priorities are in order. Sail first look for work second. Walk around the boatyards and ask the people bottom painting and doing maintenance if they need help. Or you could buy wax and polished and stuff and offer to clean people's boats.

Get either a scuba tank or an air compressor and walk the docks telling people you will clean their bottom for 20% less than they normally pay.

Find a tourist sailboat that takes people on sunset sails and ask the captain if he needs a deckhand willing to work.

Find a charter tourist fishing boat and learn to be a deckhand.

These are all things I have done and started with no experience. You've got to walk the docks and yards. It's actually not that hard. Put an ad on the for sale sailboats of craigslist offering your services. Be positive all the time even when you don't feel like its so they want you to come back and like having you around. Good luck you'll be fine.
groggy and sailorneverdies like this.
Old 07-09-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
The kid is out of work and bought a little boat to sail, now he's looking for work. No-one mentioned liveaboard or indeed financing (believe it or not, some people don't actually finance brand new 40ft boats as their first adventure into sailing).
OP, good luck, take anything that comes along, have fun and don't sweat the big stuff.
Paul: I understood 'need help keeping it funded' to suggest it was financed.
I am likely mistaken, I do hope the op comes back with more info and can find some helpful advice here
Old 07-09-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet, Sailor. Sorry about some of the greetings you've received. Don't let it put you off, there are a lot of helpful people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Sorry to be so harsh but comon man! This thread is ridiculous, so is the title, and so is the size of your live aboard life savings boat. Geez.
I don't think you are at all sorry and where did the live aboard stuff some from?

Quote:
You give sailors like me a bad image for being so impetuous and foolish.
There's only one person giving you a bad image.

Hey Harborless, give the guy a break. He's just asking.
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well obviously he cant be a liveaboard i was simply being harsh in my criticisms to make the point that at 19 your life savings is not really a life savings it more like a quarter of a lifes savings if that even since most infants i know arent saving money.
then he wants to know how to finance this dinghy. Payments? Lol i hope not its a dinghy. His lifesavings should have covered it. What do you need to store a dinghy? A tarp and three bungees? Hell you dont even need a trailer so im flabbergasted by this whole thread.
oh, this is rich-
you might want to go back and re-read most of your own posts from a year (or less) ago, before you start firing the "quit whining, grow up" cannon.

Who said this?
"So there I am. Completely had the wind taken out of my sails. Once again, on the cusp of being done.. being able to enjoy what I have spent so much money time and effort on.. Its yet another thing. I mean.. I dont even know what to do. Im so over everything breaking or being broken that part of me just wants to slap a for sale sign on the boat and hope any potential buyer is ignorant enough to purchaser the boat without a proper inspection--- Of course as a moral person who needs his sleep this isnt a great option... So If I did decide to sell her Id need to do the repairs first or knock a large chunk off the asking price..

Or, yet again, flat broke as I am at the moment, I wait until I can pull the funds together and have a new centerboard made which I expect would me no less than 700$ and most likely a good bit more.

Im just so depressed. I feel like every step forward is two more steps back. I still owe the sail maker 250$ and haven't paid my slip fee yet this month. Now I have a broken centerboard which acts as a sea anchor because the hinged part is broken off so the centerboard is only attached to the boat by that holding pin/line... So I asked for help... I dont know what sort of help I expect.. Kind words from people who have felt my pain. Seriously I could cry like a girl. I feel so defeated. "
YOU said that.
8 months ago.

As far as tossing around your opinion on the financial decisions of others, remember that you are the guy who wants to ditch his college loans because you feel you shouldn't have to pay the money back, because it was congress's fault you took that loan in the first place.

Before you tell others to HTFU, maybe you should do it yourself.

Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorneverdies View Post
Hey, im a 19 year old sailor from Nova Scotia, i quit my job in the furniture business do to work place harassment and I just spent all my money on an International 14, and i need help keeping it funded. can anybody help me out with finding a job?
Cheers,
Steve.
Welcome aboard.
we need more info to help you in your search. what skill set do you have, where in NS are you located, what do you want to do , etc.

Don't let the blowhards get you down- you've been bitten by the sailing bug, and want to find a jjb that is related. I get that.

Tags
crew available , employment , funding , international14 , skiff