Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

I seriously cant believe the support this OP is getting. I get lambasted for solo sailing the st johns with a fouled prop and you give this guy a pass? His priorities are straight? About as straight as a MS spine id say.

Lets recap.

He quit his job based on some sort of vague herassment claim... ok, military prolly aint for you then.
he claims to have had a life savings instead of a piggy bank
he claims he spent that life savings on a dinghy
he post on sailnet asking how to afford to keep said dinghy bc he spent all his piggy bank on a dinghy instead of being responsible and spending it on finding a new job.

So what we have per the OP is a jobless dinghy owner who cant afford the dinghy and wants other people to find him work.

I say again, I cant believe the pass this guy is getting. You all supporting this OP are simply condoning irresponsability, impetuousness, false reality, and neglect of personal finances. For what? So some 19 yr old can go sailing on a smooth lake? What kind of sailing can you really do on a 14' with no money beides a few hours around a bay? Now ill get the i have a dream speech of sailing the world in said dinghy and so and so did it on a life boat jazz. I hope you dont enocourage the OP to completely commit suicide since it sounds like hes trying to commit finanical suicide already.

Seriously sailing is great and so is owning your own boat but if you cant even afford to properly care for, store, and maintain a freaking dinghy AND you have no job im sorry but im crying foul.

Wish i got this baby treatment from you all. Maybe I should have bought a 50' then came here asking how to raise the jib so I could leave for the Tasman bc im out of work and feel like cruising for a better pasture. Sarcasm off.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Maybe if you were as straightforward as the OP and not a whiny little bee-otch, you might have gotten the same treatment.

Seriously, harborandclassless, your assholity to a newbie is appalling. You need to apologize, and then you need to shut up.
zeehag, heavyduty, DJR351 and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 07-09-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: whining from the whiny little beeotch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-10-2013), sailorneverdies (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
oh, this is rich-
you might want to go back and re-read most of your own posts from a year (or less) ago, before you start firing the "quit whining, grow up" cannon.

Who said this?
"So there I am. Completely had the wind taken out of my sails. Once again, on the cusp of being done.. being able to enjoy what I have spent so much money time and effort on.. Its yet another thing. I mean.. I dont even know what to do. Im so over everything breaking or being broken that part of me just wants to slap a for sale sign on the boat and hope any potential buyer is ignorant enough to purchaser the boat without a proper inspection--- Of course as a moral person who needs his sleep this isnt a great option... So If I did decide to sell her Id need to do the repairs first or knock a large chunk off the asking price..

Or, yet again, flat broke as I am at the moment, I wait until I can pull the funds together and have a new centerboard made which I expect would me no less than 700$ and most likely a good bit more.

Im just so depressed. I feel like every step forward is two more steps back. I still owe the sail maker 250$ and haven't paid my slip fee yet this month. Now I have a broken centerboard which acts as a sea anchor because the hinged part is broken off so the centerboard is only attached to the boat by that holding pin/line... So I asked for help... I dont know what sort of help I expect.. Kind words from people who have felt my pain. Seriously I could cry like a girl
should do it yourself.
Ok Jones ill bite. Thanks for recapping my 800 plus post by cherry picking the ones i made after solo disasters but im hooked now and i hope youve got the test to reel me in.

1. I paid 2900 cash baby from investment funds for my boat.
2. I had the money for what I thought would only be 4 or 5k in refits up front.
3. I was full time Biology student at UNF, which btw mr jonesing for trouble i also payed for myself.
4. I worked 30 hours per week on top of my 15 credit hour science load on top of my project boat to pay for my boat, refits, schooling, car, bills, and food. So shove that up your seacock.
5. I rewired my boat. I re glassed, gelcoated,reigged,insulated, cut out and cut in. I rebuilt the boat. Did i go broke a few times after my centerboard suddenly dnapped in two or my diesel engine kept running away? Why yes i did because unline the OP im actually responsible. My worst infractions are trying to motor with a foulded prop and not learning enough about tide and current before leaving for NSB which both were only done once.
6. I work. 2 jobs at the moment.
7. I sail my 27' SOLO and dock her SOLO and live on her SOLO and keep her, my bills, and my OBLIGATIONS current SOLO. So i THINK i can speak up on the matter as i am and will.

What did you think would happen here? You took post by me made after terrible days where i bared my soul publicly about my fall backs to try and paint me as what exactly? A guy that did not buy a lemon spend 2 years refitting solo while working and going to school full time? Man what a reprehensible character I am. So irresponsible.
What a foolish attempt by you since im actually the epitome of young boat owner. Does the OP even know what a fuse is let alone how to change one when the primary bilge pump fails and your centerboard tube is pumping water into your sole at a cup per swell off the coast of nsb? Oh wait he doesnt even have a boat big enough for a circuit breaker.

So well done on proving my experience on the matter and also proving my ability to forgoe what you do not which is called pride or haughtiness in order to refresh the spirit of having to go all this basically alone except for my wonderful uncle who stepped in at the last step when i could not after spending over 1500 of MY money stop my diesel from running.

Your attempt to discredit me publicly is laughable and you need to do less jonesing for trouble and fill your mouth oraface with the first two letters of your name more. Start with me if you like.
Harborless out.
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

"discredit" you?
You're neither that credible, nor that important.
Apologize to the OP for hijacking his thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

You called me a bitch in the gen discussion forum? As a man i can assure you in a real public forum you would now be looking upward. Promise you that son. Check yourself. Hit keyboard lock for awhile.
got brains and balls on this end punk. Your arguments are about as rudimentary as the arithmitic of a fourth grader along with your level of personal disrespect.
In person you would never say that and if you did id have more respect for you after i layed you out.
PM me any further insults, this is a family site after all.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Important? Not me. Neither are you. Grains of sand in time the both of us.

Credible? Yes I am. Laying in my boat as I type. Ship shape son.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Btw the avatar IS my boat, but you cant see it all from there. Thats only about 14' of her.
Old 07-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Ah.

Brian. Harbor. Bring it back from the personal, please. Focus on the decisions, good or bad.
tdw and Seaduction like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-09-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

What type of furniture work did the OP do? I wonder how well it would translate to working on boat interiors.

A lot of people asking a lot of money in some areas to work on boats, if you have a little bit of knowledge and don't mind undercutting other people, you might be able to make some money doing odd jobs here and there on boats.
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

We really need more information from the OP since assumptions are only getting us into personal diatribes.

It seems based on the limited info we have that the OP needs a stable job first and foremost before worrying about his boat. Im not sure where the OP is living but jobs come to those who look and pound enough pavement. Construction laborer, apprentice, dishwasher, furniture maker, its almost limitless.

I would simply wish for this young guy around my age to find a stable source of income above minimum wage to begin getting his A B C's in order. Im not sure what he means by paying for the boat or affording the boat but if he does own it then just tarp it for a few months and get your finances lined up. Atleast with a boat your size you really cant spend more than a few grand on refits including reglassing the hull.

So,
1. Find stable employment
2. Make enough to maintain or pay for the boat.
3. Buy some used boating books like bowditch or chapmans.
4. Ask further questions here for well rounded and often opinionated advice.
5. Go sailing.

I miss sailing Sunfish. I miss being able to hike in until capsize on a hot day. Unfortunately capsizing my biat would hardly be fun..

Tags
crew available , employment , funding , international14 , skiff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.