Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

the only one discrediting anyone is ones self..if that is too deep, i have galoshes.

bowditch and chapmans are soooooo 20 yrs ago... try sailing for dummies and the everlasting royces, which is also about 20 yrs outdated, but still somewhat accurate....

while you are at it, read the little green book of seasickness, so we can alll recover from this mayhem ......

work for a living, not live for a working--is a difference--one requires certification, the other is manyoooowall labor ....figger it out....

saying pompous stuff isnt gonna make the kid put out....he has to do that hisself.
being igguruntly pompous turns others off, big time....figger it out.

but, then , some have to whine, while others become pompous culos and talk many words to get to point A.....

kinda like me, only a lot worse.....

some folks use trolling as a hobby, others use it for a reality check, and some use trolling motors on boats...go figger....and some troll for dinner--(could be taken a coupe of ways here..lol)
is there a reality here..and if so,what is it, and what is the REAL message/massage......

no one likes whiney and no one likes pompous......., but a Beauty In Total Control of Herself
can be a goooood thing, cant it , ladies......
chef2sail and DJR351 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

At this point, it doesn't matter WHAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED- it is where to go from here?
Ok looking at his picture album, it looks like he has his priorities in order- having FUN. Isn't that what drew most of us into sailing? Obviously, he cannot live on it, maybe he needs funding to pay for dry storage? He would likely take a loss on the sale of it, so he is probably stuck with it financially.

Also, looking at his only other post, he is looking to crew on a long passage.

Therefore, he still has a few good options if he wants to stick with the sailing life:
1- spend a summer or year or two drifting (crewing on deliveries, working at marinas, West Marine, etc).
2- join the Navy or Coast Guard- learn skills, visit cool places, and get paid while doing so.
3- look for a possible trade up to a larger, older (probably a project) boat that he can live on. This would be rough going, because he would likely have to live on the hook, with a boat that says "feed me money" constantly.
4- go back to the real world. Get a real job, have a few bucks in your pocket, and 20 years from now say "Oh, I couldn't do that when I was younger, and I am too strapped down now."

This all brings up a fascinating question. What would you do if you could turn it all back to age 19? What would you really do, not what you SHOULD do? I am sure a lot of people end up choosing option 4, whether right or wrong.
Sal Paradise and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by FirstCandC; 07-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

This is one of those threads that seem to go in ways I personnally would never have predicted. I too am sorry that some of the responses were as harsh as they are. To me this young man comes here and tells us that he is young, bought a boat, used up whatever savings he has on that boat, then quit his job because of being harrassed and is now looking for a job. And at least some of the 'jury' harrass him for either or all of buying the wrong boat, or quiting his job, or coming here looking for help.

It seems to me as some have said, we know almost nothing about Sailorneverdies. I think that it is helpful to ask the questions about his skill-sets, long term goals, more specifically where Steve lives and so on. Answers to this should be helpful in being able to provide meaningful advice. Blasting Sailorneverdies seems unnecessary and purposely hurtful. We all were young once and we all made decisions and worked jobs which in hindsight may seem questionable. If we are on SailNet, we somehow ended up relatively alive and on our feet.

This young man sounds reasonably responsible. He's not looking for a handout. He's just asking if any of us have a lead on a job that he could apply for. Maybe because of similarities in my own life story, I personnally see nothing that deserves criticism in that request.

I know that these are different times, but as a kid I worked any number of minimum wage type jobs (split a paper route, baby sat neighbor's kids, restocked hardware) and saved every penny I could. I bought a 10 foot sailboat when I was 12 or so, with every cent I had, plus a loan from my Dad (which I am not sure I ever did pay back in full).

As I got older I worked whatever jobs I could to put away money for a car and for college. I worked a mix of interesting, character building jobs and pretty crummy jobs, sometimes two or more at a time for wages that seem absurd 50 years later (like half a buck an hour). Looking back, when I think of the list of things I did for money, it amazes me, but I took what came at me and worked hard as a dishwasher/deep sink in restaurants, house boy at a hotel (doing the jobs that were too disgusting or too heavy lifting for the chamber maids), hanging drywall and framing houses, worked in boat yards painting bottoms, vanishing, grinding fiberglass on a boat being built, boat carpenter assistant, riggers assistant, sailing instructor, commissioned boats and helped owners learn to rig and sail their new trailerable boats, parked cars, night shift doorman (which I did while working in a boatyard during the week and parking cars on the weekend), delivery boy for a flower shop, hand dug a half mile long trench across a golf course, teacher's aide, yard man at a lumber yard, laborer at a carpet store, ran blueprints, sculpted mobiles and drew small pen and inks and painted water colors which were sold to tourists by a local gift shop, gardener on a large estate, draftsman, sales clerk in a gift shop, busboy, and I am sure there are jobs that I have fogotten. None of these paid very well, but in total, they paid enough buy a number of different boats, keep me in clothes, bicycles, motorcycles, and cars, got me through college, and bought the time and wisdom to make more meaningful decisions about the life I wanted to lead.

Which is a long way of saying to Steve, I don't have any job leads for you, except to suggest that you keep reading the papers and going on line to look at ads, keep doing what you are doing by putting out the word that you are looking for a job. I admire that you are not afraid to say that you are looking for a job even in creative places like this one. (I once got a lead for a job when a police officer pulled me over for speeding. He asked why I was going above the speed limit. I told him that I was looking for a job and heard there was a job available at a hotel and wanted to get there before the job was filled, and then had the nerve to ask if he knew of any jobs out there. He said that the job I was driving to was a lousey place to work and referred me to restaurant who needed a dishwasher/busboy. Not a great job, but a job none the less, and it included a cheap room to sleep and meals until something better came along.)

Along the way, Steve, hopefully you will meet good people who will help you set your course by their good example, and unfortunately, perhaps encounter people who provide a bad example thereby showing you what not to do. Hopefully, 44 years from now you too can look back at a life well lived, and think of the things that you did as a 19 year old in a charitable light, at worst rolling your eyes, and at best having some great stories to tell the other old farts.

Jeff
Sn0wman, tdw, chef2sail and 6 others like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
bljones (07-09-2013), sailorneverdies (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

anyone being harrassed on the job has a responsibility to self as well as to others to report that harrassment and proceed via legal channels to regain employment if terminated., if they quit,they are merely quitters, and mebbe that harrassment wasnt so evile, after all..
i couldnt read the great american novel---dang that was a lot of words....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 07-09-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I went back and looked at his profile again...

He states he is a sailing instructor, a lifeguard, and some other stuff, as well as having worked in some sort of furniture business. So, he seems to be able to work, but then I looked at the photo albums...

The P*$$y, money, weed photo in particular gives me an impression that perhaps he is not at all focused on work so much. I may just be old and not in touch with today's kids, but the kids I know who are successful are not focused on p*$$y or weed, and really money is not their highest priority either, they focus on learning to do their jobs well, and on being good at the things they choose to do, so that they can become successful. They all do silly stuff, I did when I was young too. They all do things that could best be called learning experiences, or teaching opportunities or whatever you call a screwup, but they take their lumps and continue on, and keep a smile on their faces because no one likes a frowned up kid.

My first impression when I read the OP was that he was kind of doing a little bit of a backdoor kind of begging, maybe I was wrong, hopefully. Yes we teased him about his tiny little boat, but not because it was small, at least not on my part, but more because it seemed to be too small to spend all the money one might possess on. If it had been something that could conceivably be a live aboard, I would have been far more ready to say "good on you", but basically it is a toy. Not due to the size, but due to the usage it is intended for, and buying a toy that takes all of your money when you have little and then quitting your job over some sort of suspect situation like harassment to me seems irresponsible. My guess is kind of harsh, but I am guessing the harassment consisted of things like "Boy, if you do not get your butt to work on time and sober, you are going to be fired" or "no, you cannot have Wednesday off, we have production to meet, and you will have to tell your friends you have a job and cannot go play" . I hope I am wrong, but as a business owner for many years, who has faced, and won, frivolous law suits from people who were fired or quit before I could fire them for being drunks, lazy, or just plain nuts, whenever I see something like "I quit my last job because I was being harassed" I cringe and pass on employing the person.

Zeehag was spot on in saying you stay on and settle it, or go to court and settle it and get your job back with some extra pay, or you are a quitter. If someone quits or is fired and then comes back and claims harassment, to me that is someone trying to get paid for nothing.
carl762 likes this.
Old 07-09-2013

A previous poster mentioned the possibility of having boat payments. I hadn't thought of that. That would certainly explain the desperate situation.
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I went back and looked at his profile again...

He states he is a sailing instructor, a lifeguard, and some other stuff, as well as having worked in some sort of furniture business. So, he seems to be able to work, but then I looked at the photo albums...

The P*$$y, money, weed photo in particular gives me an impression that perhaps he is not at all focused on work so much. I may just be old and not in touch with today's kids, but the kids I know who are successful are not focused on p*$$y or weed, and really money is not their highest priority either,
Here's the pic in question:
He's skateboarding- I'm not sure he's responsible for the tagging that is in the background, which mark focused on:

BTW. here's the rest of the album:
SailNet Community - sailorneverdies's Album: go pro pics

the kid's a sailor. with a boat. with acceptable taste in beer. looking for a job. anything else is inference.
Tempest, carl762 and Dfok like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
sailorneverdies (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

Holy crap people! The kid bought an I14. He's probably trying to race it, racing costs money. I wish I lived close by so I could give you a job and put the haters to rest here.

Nice pics by the way. I love my gopro.
Tempest and sailorneverdies like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcusc130 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Ok as happens with myself heat long day of work and lack of sleeping ability makes me less than useful at times. So I AM sorry for being SO harsh. However I am still on Marks side of the channel on this. He spent all his money on a toy that he seems unable to properly pay for and currently has no job. Thats all im saying on that subject.

The rest? Yea hes 19. Hes got his whole life. I was 23 when I bought Strong Back. I went broke twice but tis dee life of a boat owner is tis. At least one going to school while waiting tables and refitting a sailboat. It aint easy or cheap- can vouch for that.

Smoking weed and girls? Sounds normal to me- however weed lowers work ethics in young men because often moderation is not properly practiced. This is for off topic however.

Chapmans and bowditch though outdated perhaps still should be required reading (maybe not so much the bowditch- very mathematical is tis.)

Im sorry I was so callous but I was just thrown off by "life savings" "14' boat" and "no job."

Welcome aboard matey. I sincerely wish you well. It sucks having no job. When I moved to NSB three weeks ago I had no job and like 300$ left (not including investments which stay untouched for at least two more decades).
I spent the first week hitting all the restaurants for serving or bar tending and got nothing but turn downs even with 7+ years experience. Persistence is key. I called back the best jobs three times or more and was getting inklings of interviews to come perhaps but I could not wait. So then I made a resume detailing my college education and construction experience and went to all of the construction contractors, electricians, and masons in town.

By the 9th day here I had three jobs. The job I am keeping is seriously the best job in town for my situation. Persistence pays off.

Now I work evenings only. Spend my days fixing the last 3 boat projects I have (Cutting out sole area around V-berth and relaying glass, refoaming centerboard tube to prevent flooding in windward tacks and heavy swells, and reinstalling my Nico Solar Vent fan after I repoxy a raw fiberglass area that has let some water wick in over the months)

So your 19- get a job, spend less money on pot and girls, invest money early and often, sail when the breeze is stiff, and ask questions here when books and google dont cover it.

Cheers.
Old 07-09-2013

Wow, we can't see the forest for the trees!!! The obvious question should be, how does your boat sail?? It looks like a blast!

You just had to mention the GoPro, didn't you marcusc? Now that is just one more thing I HAVE GOT TO HAVE.
sailorneverdies likes this.

Last edited by FirstCandC; 07-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstCandC For This Useful Post:

Tags
crew available , employment , funding , international14 , skiff