Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

sailorneverdies is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
You bought a tiny little sailboat that you cannot even live on and it took your life's saving? You needed to have quit that job for being underpaid. As to work, perhaps you should join the Navy, I know Canada still has a few ships that probably need to be manned by young men like yourself, and you could be on the ocean getting paid for it.
tiny little sail boat? its a world class racing skiff. and it cost 30,000 dollars for a brand new one....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Lol. What kind of life savings do you have at 19 and what kind of boat did you buy thinking it was worth said life savings when its not even big enough to stand up in?
me thinks you jumped when you should have tested with a toe.

I agree with Mark on this one. You made a bum move, yes im around your age and yes i own and live on my own boat, you need to join the military or find a paying apprenticeship program.
if nothing else sail your dinghy to a coastal town and find a job serving tables where you can make decent money to make a more suitable plan and situation than your current one.

Sorry to be so harsh but comon man! This thread is ridiculous, so is the title, and so is the size of your live aboard life savings boat. Geez.
Its a actually a world class racing skiff, and it cost 30,000 dollars just for a brand new hull.
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I hate to be mean, but I know that for $5,000.00 you can get a boat a whole lot bigger than a 14' footer here on the Gulf coast, and almost anywhere else in the states. At least with some of the 17' and 19' boats there is some pretense of a bed in the thing. I know where there is a little 22' trailer sailer that the guy wants $2,500.00 for, and if I did not already have too much stuff in the driveway I would go down and get it, just to have something to sail on one of the mudpuddle lakes around here.

I do not know exactly what the poor kid paid, but it was all he had, and that kind of sucks, especially for him. I would feel sorry for him, but I will just say that some of life's lessons are definitely best learned from watching other's mistakes and learning from them.

I wish him luck though. A lot of it if he is actually living on the little boat when winter comes. I think it would have been better if he was 14 and the boat was 19'
its a world class racing skiff! im not an idiot! this is my dream boat and my ticket to become a professional racer... thanks for the advice?
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Perhaps he should have visited sailnet BEFORE he spent his life savings on a dinghy. Im sorry but like i saod comon man! What were you thinking? Its one foot longer than a freaking sunfish how can you even lay down or fit more than a small bag and a gallon of water and some cans of tuna? No room for tools, head, galley nothing! Life savings? What one thousand dollars?

Now you want a job? Seriously read a book or two and come out of candy land. You give sailors like me a bad image for being so impetuous and foolish. 14 feet is that a joke? It must be 41 and you just mistyped. Otherwise i say again this thread is utterly ridiculous and so was your decision. Sorry.
take the above advice and go to your local recruiter.
you clearly no nothing about boats. its a world class racing skiff that extends to 25 feet when the A kite is up.
Old 07-09-2013

Its a world class racing skiff with adjustable fins on the rudder, double trap, an A kite... maybe you should read a book or two before trying to make me look bad on the internet.
Old 07-09-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

sailor,

I have to say, it's not the other posters that are trying to make you look bad. You seem to be doing a fine job of that yourself. They're only making themselves look bad.

If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who came here looking for help and advice. Some people gave you good advice, and some gave you bad advice. That's what you get in a public forum.

I don't think anyone cares whether you bought a tiny pleasure dinghy or a "world class racing skiff." The fact is it seems like you bought a high-dollar luxury item (yes, it is a luxury item - it's nowhere near a necessity) without the forethought of how to fund either it or yourself. This has little to do with insulting your boat. This has everything to do with fiscal and life responsibility.

We've all been 19 with dreams and aspirations; we've all purchased things that haven't been in our best long-term interest. That doesn't make you a bad person, or necessarily make your purchase a bad decision. It's your life. Do what you want with it. But saying "world class racing skiff" in 3 consecutive posts does not address the core issue - you're jobless with an expensive racing boat and no extra funds. That's what needs to be fixed, not people calling your dinghy exactly what it is.
bljones likes this.
Old 07-09-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bowditch and chapmans are soooooo 20 yrs ago...
Wasn't Bowditch soooooo 200 yrs ago?
Old 07-09-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Boaters Bowditch is a very modern and a useful book on navigation, though not very applicable to I14 sailing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorneverdies View Post
Hey, im a 19 year old sailor from Nova Scotia, i quit my job in the furniture business do to work place harassment and I just spent all my money on an International 14, and i need help keeping it funded. can anybody help me out with finding a job?
Cheers,
Steve.
Hey Steve, welcome to Sailnet!
So many great things can happen along the way as you search for your niche in sailing. I-14s are famous boats! I can already picture you on the big $ boat crews racing around the world. My dream would be on J-class yachts LOL NOT as a cook! But then... I'm almost as old as some of those boats!

I can only hope your sailing life and career interests lead where the fictional Charlie Saint Cloud landed! ( really good movie starts out with dingy racing)

sailorneverdies likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Well how are people supposed to become professional racers? They spend all their money on a racing skiff and learn how to do it at 19. They sure as heck don't sit around calling people unsafe for not using dinghy lights. Those are the kind of sailors that I see out there on a beautiful windy day, like yesterday, with the mainsail covered and the jib furled. They're checking their dinghy lights. They don't want to be unsafe.

You have all given him too hard of a time. I like keelboats and cruising and I don't care about racing, but he does. Maybe he'll be 50 and rich and designing the new oracle boat. Not because he was worried about being broke at 19 but because he spent all his money on something important. It's not a luxury if its important to him, if sailboats are luxury items we are all going to hell for spending so much money and time on them when we could be donating it all to starving peasants.

How you looked at his collection of pictures and got women and weed out of a collection of athletic photos ill never know. I saw a windsurf board, cliff jumping, sailing, and skating. It's probably not his fault someone graffitied the skate park. It shows what we all see and you wanted to see him as a punk so you took a healthy collection of pictures and dirtied it with your "all young uns" are crap mentality.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 07-09-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Spell check

Tags
crew available , employment , funding , international14 , skiff