Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Interesting that people say they go north up because of paper charts. From Scouts to university in geography I always oriented the map/chart to the course I wanted to follow rather than to north. Heck the m/c has true north at the top,not even magnetic.

On the boats generally have course up except in tight corners where I want the land features to stay in one place even I'd the course is changing frequently.
Exactly! After a few years in the military and doing a fair amount of land nav the "map" was always oriented to course up. Then the transition to boating the RYA beat into my head that "charts" need to be oriented North up. Now I have a new chart plotter that gives me the option and with a mixed experienced crew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

North up. I find it easier to follow.
Old 07-09-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
I think heading is the direction the boat is pointing and course is the actual path the boat is taking. This takes into account set/run effects of the current/wind.
Different vendors might have different definitions..
This is from the manual of my Furuno NN3D MFD8
Quote:
Description of orientation modes

Head-up: Displays the chart with the current compass heading of your vessel at the top of the screen. The heading data from a compass is required. When the heading changes, the boat icon remains fixed, and the chart picture rotates according to heading.

North-up: North is at the top of the screen. When your heading changes, the boat icon moves according to heading. This mode is for long-range navigation.

Course-up: The chart picture is stabilized, and shown with your current course (overground) at the top of the screen. The boat icon moves with the heading. If you select a new course, the picture resets to display the new course at the top of the screen.
I might be wrong - but the "If you select a new course" statement above indicate that they are talking about "selecting course as selecting new way point"
I switch between North up and heading up depending on what I'm doing.
For inshore navigation I prefer HU, for orienting and planning I switch to NU.

I know the difference between COG and heading.
My plotter also have a heading line and a COG/SOG predictor (that is independent of the orientation mode.
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

North up. it is a chart plotter, not a TomTom, so it should be chart oriented as an honest- to-neptune paper chart is oriented. Orienting to course risks spatial disorientation as your compass (you still use a compass, right?) and chart differentiate wildly, especially after dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
North up. it is a chart plotter, not a TomTom, so it should be chart oriented as an honest- to-neptune paper chart is oriented. Orienting to course risks spatial disorientation as your compass (you still use a compass, right?) and chart differentiate wildly, especially after dark.
I'm not sure that I understand your example. I don't turn my paper chart so that it's always oriented north even when my boat is not. I must be missing something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Charts are north oriented., ie north is top of page.
Nav stations are designed to fit charts with north up orientation.
ergo, all plotting is done with north up.
looking down on the chart laid out on the nav with the course marked (you do use a paper chart back up, right?), then looking at the plotter, whihc is course oriented will cause a momentary unnecessary spatial disorientation.

Which is compounded by boat manufacturers insisting on installing nav stations whihc face the stern, not the bow.

Old 07-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

North up in relation to me. Got it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

True the paper chart is printed with orientation to the north. That makes sense though because that is the only thing that is a standardization to. It would not be possible to print charts in a head up orientation. That alone is not reason to create everything north on the boat. In addition charts can be rotated and moved.

Our nav station faces forward, the chart table is large enough to rotate the chart 360 degrees. If my bow is facing E and I intend on traveling that way I orient my paper chart that way at the nav station as well as in the cockpit.

If my bow is facing E and there are rocks in front of me visually, I don't want my paper chart facing north so they are 90 degrees to the right of me when I look at it, I want to rotate the chart so they are ahead of me. When I glance down at the chart and there is a river to the left, and I look up the river is to the left. No room for error or need for computation. That's why I have the CP in a head up orientation.

While I can make that shift if I can keep things in a north orientation many newer people or inexperienced cannot easily I have found. They need to confirm visually what they have looked down at on a chart and then look up again to get their bearings..

However all this said, there is no ultimate CORRECT way to do this. You should do whatever makes you comfortable as well as so the rest of your crew can understand also if necessary.

Makes no difference what orientation you keep, as long as you can read your position safely

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Makes no difference what orientation you keep, as long as you can read your position safely
Yes, agreed

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
The Following User Says Thank You to poopdeckpappy For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

All sorts of interesting opinions here, thanks! It's a sailnet trademark above all else.

I may give course up another try on my plotter that sits in front of the wheel in the cockpit. I can see that in rough weather it could be quite disconcerting though.