Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Course up can be confusing as others have said. +1 for North up.
Old 07-09-2013

AKA44 is on a distinguished road
Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Trip planning with a chart at the nav station - 'north up', so I can read all the fine print.

Traveling with the chart plotter - 'course up' so there's no confusion about what's where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Try putting in a general destination WP and using track up.
We use all three, depending on circumstances, but use the track up for inter-island sailing to show cross track error and it stabilizes the screen.
Coming into a harbor or bay on a fairly steady heading, I'll switch to course up, and going north or at anchor (for the anchor drag alarm) north up works. With the radar overlay, I think we're all stuck w/ north up?
Another alternative I've tried, though I didn't like it, was to dampen the update time, thereby slowing the movement on the screen.
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA44 View Post
Trip planning with a chart at the nav station - 'north up', so I can read all the fine print.

Traveling with the chart plotter - 'course up' so there's no confusion about what's where.
I like this approach. While I have no issues steering with a north up display I actually do less than 10% of the steering. I use paper charts for planning then add waypoints on the plotter for the helmsmen to guide to. When I overlay AIS data and radar to the chart it just makes a lot more sense to others who may not be huge boaters. Most of the time my nose is in the chart book in the cockpit verifying our course.
Old 07-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
True the paper chart is printed with orientation to the north. That makes sense though because that is the only thing that is a standardization to. It would not be possible to print charts in a head up orientation. That alone is not reason to create everything north on the boat. In addition charts can be rotated and moved.

Our nav station faces forward, the chart table is large enough to rotate the chart 360 degrees. If my bow is facing E and I intend on traveling that way I orient my paper chart that way at the nav station as well as in the cockpit.

If my bow is facing E and there are rocks in front of me visually, I don't want my paper chart facing north so they are 90 degrees to the right of me when I look at it, I want to rotate the chart so they are ahead of me. When I glance down at the chart and there is a river to the left, and I look up the river is to the left. No room for error or need for computation. That's why I have the CP in a head up orientation.

However all this said, there is no ultimate CORRECT way to do this. You should do whatever makes you comfortable as well as so the rest of your crew can understand also if necessary.

Makes no difference what orientation you keep, as long as you can read your position safely
Here is Danish chart 1213, oriented as you would have it if sailing south along one of the most intricate coastlines in the world, the Vestkyst of Greenland...

The index name of this chart is as follows:

Qeqertarsuatsiaat – Kangerluarsoruseq (Fiskenæsset – Kangerluarsoruseq)

All I can say, is - if you can read that chart upside down, you are a FAR better man than I... (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
While I can make that shift if I can keep things in a north orientation many newer people or inexperienced cannot easily I have found. They need to confirm visually what they have looked down at on a chart and then look up again to get their bearings..
Funny, but that last bit seems like a GOOD practice, to me... Many of the replies in this thread appear to place more importance on the ability to simply use a chartplotter, than to actually read a chart and interpret your position on it... I recently cited an example from John Harries, a collision that resulted from the initial reaction of a helmsman to look at his chartplotter, instead of actually looking outside the boat in order to "get his bearings"...

You're right, there is no absolutely 'correct' way to do this, whatever works best for you... However, when anyone sails with me, they will do so according to MY preferences, and the logic of selecting the orientation of a chartplotter to best suit the LEAST experienced or capable person aboard is somewhat lost on me... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-09-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
However, when anyone sails with me, they will do so according to MY preferences
And they better damn well like or it's off with their head
Old 07-09-2013

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road

I go with a combination. On the left, I keep a wide view N-up to give me a sense of where I am in the world. On the right I keep a close view course-up to show what's in the immediate vicinity. The view on the right is typically a bit more complicated than this.

chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-09-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

I'm also in the 'north up' crowd. It would confuse me if my compass was showing me on a 180° heading and the chartplotter showed me heading toward the top of the electronic map. True that you have to think about what is to port and to starboard when travelling South, but I need the mental gymnastics to keep the cobwebs outa my head.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Here is Danish chart 1213, oriented as you would have it if sailing south along one of the most intricate coastlines in the world, the Vestkyst of Greenland...

The index name of this chart is as follows:

Qeqertarsuatsiaat – Kangerluarsoruseq (Fiskenæsset – Kangerluarsoruseq)

All I can say, is - if you can read that chart upside down, you are a FAR better man than I... (grin)

Funny, but that last bit seems like a GOOD practice, to me... Many of the replies in this thread appear to place more importance on the ability to simply use a chartplotter, than to actually read a chart and interpret your position on it... I recently cited an example from John Harries, a collision that resulted from the initial reaction of a helmsman to look at his chartplotter, instead of actually looking outside the boat in order to "get his bearings"...

You're right, there is no absolutely 'correct' way to do this, whatever works best for you... However, when anyone sails with me, they will do so according to MY preferences, and the logic of selecting the orientation of a chartplotter to best suit the LEAST experienced or capable person aboard is somewhat lost on me... (grin)
Damn Jon we agree twice today.... wait...Id better change my mid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
I go with a combination. On the left, I keep a wide view N-up to give me a sense of where I am in the world. On the right I keep a close view course-up to show what's in the immediate vicinity. The view on the right is typically a bit more complicated than this.

I like that Idea ( I have a Cw95 ) and can split that screen too. Do you every overlay your radar? On which one?( I am assuming head up)

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.