Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

I use both and don't have a problem flipping between them. Never gave it a second thought really.

My choice of screen orientation generally depends on where I am sailing and sometimes the plotter I am using. Open ocean is almost always North Up but coastal Maine is often Course Up but can often be North Up too depending upon where on the coast we are. My wife hates North Up but she never learned on paper before electronic. She learned electronic and paper at the same time.

I also don't have an issue which way my paper chart lies... Sometimes I use it upside down because my wife is looking at it too or some times sideways, which ever way it fits.... My brain does not seem to have a problem with the "spatial" issues as I guess I tend to re-draw it in my brain in the direction I need to see it in....

When I was a kid, and learning plotting/DR from my grandfather and father, we never had the luxury of a proper nav desk that would fit a chart so they were often folded and looked at from all directions. Plotting on the paper was always done based on NU but was not always drawn with the paper facing NU... I sailed and navigated thousands of hours in the fog, before electronics, without always having my chart oriented North Up, so I guess I am the odd man out? Perhaps it was better that I never got used to having to have my chart oriented only North Up because now I am not constrained to one or the other orientation...???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-10-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You can configure it any way you like. The only wrong answer is from those that insist they are right or belittle those that choose differently.

I was also taught to navigate in the military. If you at sitting at a desk or fixed position, often in a room barking orders to those getting the job done, north is up. If you are on the move, you put your compass on the map and keep north on the map pointing north, ie it is always oriented to the surrounding terrain.

It's not a question of whether you can do the spacial orientation, it's the bandwidth you are wasting on it, which could be used to move, shoot and communicate.

Personally, I set the aircraft display to course up as well, although, there was no such thing when I started flying.
olddog60 and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
And then, if you're doing the ICW using those full-size Maptech chart books (Regions 6 and 7, if you're shopping for them) this whole discussion falls apart, because those chart books just present the segments of the NOAA charts that show the ICW ... course up. So to have your chartplotter match your paper charts you'd set it ... course up. Wind direction? Doesn't matter, you go where the daymarks tell you there's water...
I figure it's just a matter of time before there are 2 separate versions of ICW chartbooks published - one for 'Southbound', with all charts printed in 'South-Up' mode, and one for 'Northbound', oriented to NU... If I were a guy like John Kettlewell, I'd give that serious consideration, could be a hot seller... (grin)

I've always found it interesting how few people - when transiting sections of the ICW that run due E & W, such as the Alligator-Pungo Canal - will still speak on the VHF in terms of being either 'south' or 'north-bound'... They're technically correct, of course, in terms of the general direction of their travel on the ICW, but seems to illustrate how unaware most typically are as to their actual heading at any given time... Commercial/professional captains (their plotters set to North-up, no doubt (grin)) seem to be the only ones who are more likely to refer to their actual direction of travel on the Ditch...

Seems a minor point, I know, but it can easily result in some confusion between sailors at certain points... Take the Neuse River, for example... A snowbird heading down the ICW might call a local boat sailing off Oriental, identifying themselves as 'Southbound', when in fact they may be much closer to being 'westbound'... Fog is not unheard of in that area, and such confusion between two boats with their operators peering into their radar screens could turn out to be a very costly mistake, with both of them mistakenly under the impression that one of them is on a very different heading than they are in reality...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-10-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
........ Commercial captains seem ti be the only ones who are more likely to refer to their actual direction of travel on the Ditch.....
Also a pet peeve of mine. I find many will only use N, S, E or W, when there is a huge difference between east and northeast, for example.

Had a buddy send me a text that said he was 10 miles north of Cuttyhunk, which wold have put him about 3 miles inland on Mass. He was actually 10 miles east in Vineyard Sound.

I hear many people refer to the New England coast as simply north and south, like Maine is north and NYC is south and the coast never varies.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-10-2013

Hmmm, wonder which mode ALDEBARAN's plotter was in?

Sad, yet another loss that might have been avoided, IF ONLY the chartplotter had been zoomed to the proper scale, for a harbor entrance he had been transiting for decades...

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Old 07-10-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Fails to integrate rt.parietal lobe functions and pathways from foccular nodular cerebellar cortical pathways. For a sailor sleeping in a quarter berth in the dark in a significant confused sea then waking his orientation is not set. Because of this first thing I do is put my head out of the companion way and scan the horizon. Allows my proprioception system to get working.then look at the chart.then look at the screen. Otherwise all screwed up regardless north or heads up.
Old 07-10-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Damn, I think Jon called me a stink potter and I only have 58 hp in a 40,000 on boat.

Seriously, a very good discussion.
Old 07-10-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

LOL @ Jon Eisberg! (Two sets of chart books)

Guilty, though; I usually describe us to ICW bridgetenders as "southbound sailing vessel Cinderella" and it seems to me unambiguous even if the bridge spans an E-W section. But then, bridges are fixed items. If I'm hailing a tug I give position relative to them: "tan sailboat off your port bow" or the equivalent.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Damn, I think Jon called me a stink potter and I only have 58 hp in a 40,000 on boat.

Seriously, a very good discussion.
LOL! Hey, no offense intended...

I'd be willing to bet I have WAY more time on stinkpots than most anyone else around here, after all... (grin)

Old 07-10-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that this is very much a generational thing. There are exceptions, of course, but most people I've met who learned to navigate before GPS prefer north up and those who learned to navigate post GPS (I'm not sure that really counts as learning to navigate.) prefer heads up.

Being old enough to remember running miles of fog with the most complex device on my boat being my wind up Timex watch, I find there is a lot less mental math involved in north up. The steadier display is also a plus.