Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

yetavon is on a distinguished road
Electric Trolling motors opinions

Searched and read a bunch of older posts and wanted to get a fresher opinion. We have a Ensenada 20 weighs in at 1600#, and we are on small freshwater lakes in the Western Carolinas. The old Ensenada we had we never use any motor, but wanted to after several paddle up the cove to the ramp. I'm liking the silent non smelly idea of electric. And since its always coming home on the trailer re-charging wont be an issue, I can even wire it so the truck charges it while driving. Even found a local guy that has a bunch of 30lb thrust motors and the idea of mounting 2 and a set of remote controls for twin engine forward and reverse for spinning on a dime...OK a silver dollar..their use would be for around the dock, boat ramps and getting back up in coves for camping, with most trips being only a couple days, 2 RV batteries and our 45 watt solar panels (already have from the camper) should be plenty.
Anyone else have any input?
Thanks Darrin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Electric Trolling motors opinions

I think it work fine BUT the 45 watt panel would take a REALLY long time to bring back a battery run way down from motoring

I have a good 40 watt panel and control and at high noon I get 2.5 amps so figure you might put back 15 amps a day at most from the solar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Darrin,

GO for it! We use a small trolling motor for our dinghy and it goes like crazy. You probably won't reach hull speed but it will surely get you to where you're going. I'd get a large one (55 lb thrust) and 2 batteries. If you can mount them in the boat, install a heavy duty socket and an adapter for the charger so you can just plug in to motor or to charge. With a setup like that, you could probably motor for 3 hours straight, no problem. We're on the ocean and there have been times where I've motored for 6 hours so we need a motor a little more robust for the big girl.
Old 07-10-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

that's what I put on my O'day 19. haven't put it in the water yet but soon. I got a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota. Honestly it looks like it will have an easier time propelling the boat than the tired 4hp outboard would have. LOL

Mine is a trailer queen as well so charging at home is no issue.
Old 07-10-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

I currently use a 55# thrust on my 26 ft sloop. It isn't going to win any speed records but works well. I also use a 45watt solar panel to recharge the large marine battery it pulls from. I predict that I can get about 4 miles out of a battery and have a second one on board running the rest of the boat and I have no shore power at the dock. every time I use it by the end of the next day the battery is completely topped off but keep in mind that about 1 mile worth of usage. Gas motor still gets used on a regular basis as I cant wait to get out of the harbor and put up my sails. My 8 hp outboard pushes me about 9mph while the electric pushes about 2.5mph. I also use it on days with light wind to cheat a little.
Old 07-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

on a 20 foot boat in freshwater, with no current... yeah even a small trolling motor will be fine... a single battery (deep cycle) will run for several hours on a charge. If you are going to top it off by plugging in at home, you'll be fine.

40 watt solar panel not necessary, unless you plan on motoring everywhere...

Western NC lake? hmmm Hickory, or further west than that?
Old 07-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
...My 8 hp outboard pushes me about 9mph...
Planing hull? No way you get that speed out of a displacement hull, unless you've got a 3 knot current pushing you.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-10-2013

yetavon is on a distinguished road

Speed is not an issue, otherwise I would have a Donzi or something, just a little push help when necessary is all I'm looking for. most of the places I have already sailed to and from with the help of a paddle from time to time, the worst was a 1/4 assist back a cove to the SP ramp on Lake James. also its been about 8 years since I have sailed so this will help with the relearning curve. Shnool the locals are Adger and Lure, 10 miles away and very small, with James , 40 miles, being the other we have hit.And the Keowee/Joccassee lakes in SC are on the list. We had a 25 Roberts on Hartwell for several years. I'm sure that it will end up on Murray near Columbia at some point. I cant wait to get everything together and get back on the water.
Thanks for the input folks
Old 07-11-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Planing hull? No way you get that speed out of a displacement hull, unless you've got a 3 knot current pushing you.
Actual speed 8.7mph using my GPS as a reference. Might consider that I have a Luger that is about 1/2 the weight of the average 26 ft sailboat. Definitely not even close to planing. No current in lake Erie.