Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Cruising Worlds Top 40 Boats

Jon:
There are some good CB boats. I also like the Wauquiez Hood 38.
But Tartan did build some deep draft 37's too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the votes guys and gals.
I hope I can count on your votes again when I audition for American Idol.
rugosa likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-11-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

My guess is you will win especially if you combined all of your boats on the list. They missed my favorite of yours the Tayana 47. I still wonder if we should have taken a chance of that wreck of one in Stonington. Oh well maybe next time we'll get one of your boats. Did you ever design a nesting dinghy lol?
Old 07-11-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Jon,

I just saw your comments and I agree with your comments that in fairness one must resist the temptation to make comparisons between 'bluewater' and 'coastal cruising' boats that each might rightfully belong on such a list. I wrestled with that in terms of whether 'weekenders' and 'camp cruisers' belonged there.

There are a lot of good cruising boats, which most folks forget about, but which might belong on this list. Boats like the Niagara 35, Lavarnos Monte Carlo, S&S 34, the Richards designed Choey Lee 35, Hood 38's, Outbounds, Tatoosh, Bristol 41.1, Brewer 12.8, Dehler 41 DS for example.

Of course the missed the Allied 30/30 and the Farr 11.6 so, we lose out on bragging rights.

The good news is that at least they had the sense not to include any of the Garden-esque leaky-teaky ketches on the list.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 07-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have copied the list of nominees from Cruising World's 40 best cruising boats of All Times(below) to keep people from having to search for it. To me this is one very strange list both for the boats included and those it does not include.
Jeff, or anyone else could you please add some other boats you think should be considered on this list? I am always looking for a reason to read about another boat.

Looks like someone already beat me to this and Jeff's recommended boat list is out there.

Thanks
Jeff.

Last edited by jephotog; 07-11-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Someone beat me to it.
Old 07-11-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My wife's account will allow me to double down on my Valiant 40 vote, but in truth it would be a tough call for me personally between a Peterson 44 and the Valiant 40, each for thier own reasons.

Of course if it was up to me, my list would be very different. I would probably have the original Esprit 37 before putting the Pacific Seacraft 37 on the list.

I would probably have something like the Morris 45 RS on the list as well.

I would definitely have the Morris Justine 36 rather than the pin-up girl Morris 36.

As I would expect there are almost no IOR era boats, and yet I would think that the Tartan 41 might be a reasonable candidate for this list.

I would think that the Hallberg Rassey 40 would be a better choice than the Hallberg 43 on the list.

I would think that the Hylas 46 would be a much better choice than the Hylas 49.

While popular and ubiquitous, roomy and a decent sailer for its day, and certainly a good value, I would never think of a Catalina 30 as being one of the top 40 cruising boats of all times.

I would think in the top 40 that there should be some performance cruisers as well. I might have something like a J-44 or Farr 47 on the list.

In the end these kinds of contests are a bit of a beauty contest perhaps rigged by the limited number of choices on the list.

Jeff
Jeff - given your criteria, what boats would you recommend for a couple starting out in the PNW and eventually venturing forth. No plans to cross oceans but wanting to keep options open.

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 07-11-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Jeff and all: In all fairness to our friends at Cruising World, its not a list of the 40 Greatest Cruising Sailboats of all time, its a list of the 40 Greatest Production Monohulls of all time. Their criteria in making their selections was admittedly nothing like Jeff's; they said they were trying to find sailboats that (and I'm paraphrasing here) changed the way boats were made or perceived. That explains (at least to me) why some of the boats that Jeff and others have identified as less than stellar sailers or cruisers are on the list. You may not like the way a Pearson Triton sails or think that its an appropriate choice as a cruising platform, but you would have a hard time denying its place in the history of mass production sailboats.

That being said, I am equally enjoying the conversation we are having about the 40 best cruising sailboats that should be on the list.

Discuss.
kwaltersmi likes this.
Old 07-11-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

MStern: Very good points, and from that perspective I would agree about the Triton or Cat 30 for that matter.

Dave6330: It would be helpful if you mentioned a budget, general size or the number of crew that you plan to sail with.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 07-11-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Cruising Worlds Top 40 Boats

Quote:
from that perspective I would agree about the Triton or Cat 30 for that matter.

Jeff
You may not like they way they sail, but I know you love the way those CCA-inspired designs look Jeff!
Old 07-11-2013

I do like the way that many CCA era boats look! I actually like sailing them in the right conditions as well.