SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Officially Went Off The Deep End (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101252-officially-went-off-deep-end.html)

jeepjeff 07-10-2013 07:13 PM

Officially Went Off The Deep End

1 Attachment(s)
A monumental day today!!! I officially own my first sailboat after about a whole year of looking, learning, many many miles and learning some more. All after more than 15 years of saying I should do this.....

I purchased a 1977 San Juan 21 2 with trailer that is in very nice shape and very solid. Swing keel and all hardware including winch and cable look real good. Sails are in very good condition and they include a mainsail, two headsails and a spinnaker. She was owned by a lady and her sailing friend passed away so she didn't want it anymore. I explained my situation (working poor guy who desperately wants to sail) to her and she let me have it for $900.

My plan is to buff and polish her up and get a good coat of wax on her. Then do the same in the cabin. Next is to get to know her inside and out by doing some driveway sailing. I'll eventually need to make some cushions for the interior, none now, after I make sure the wiring for the lights is good. Once I get this all done I am having the local CG Aux do a complimentary inspection before taking her out.

I'm trying to attach a picture so we'll see if it works. She's a little chalky from the sun right now but it comes right off and I'll shine her up.

What a great day!!!

ODay e-pod 07-10-2013 07:17 PM

Re: Officially Went Off The Deep End

Congrats, enjoy!

northoceanbeach 07-10-2013 07:23 PM

Cool. The Sam Juan's are very popular here. I like the 24 in particular.

jeepjeff 07-10-2013 07:54 PM

Oops, almost forgot to say thanks to you folks here on this forum. The knowledge and expert advise I've gained from you folks on this forum is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jimgo 07-10-2013 08:47 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! From the picture, she seems to be in decent shape. I hope you're able to spend many, many happy hours together.

yetavon 07-10-2013 08:51 PM

Congrads....you have more patients than I.....My post would have been about how it sailed today....

CatMan22 07-10-2013 09:03 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of your boat, there is nothing better than the excitement that comes with the first sail, except maybe the second or third or forth or....... really though go out, raise the sails and enjoy and remember to post pics.

jephotog 07-10-2013 09:37 PM

Congratulations, SJ21s are fun boats. Once upon a time I was looking at one for my first boat.

Do you plan on putting it in a slip, on a mooring or trailer sail it?

Unkle Toad 07-10-2013 09:45 PM

I am so happy for you. that looks like a great boat you two should have a lot of fun together. a couple of san Juan's got on my list today for if I get up to seattle this weekend to look.. keep us informed. inquireing minds want more pics

arf145 07-11-2013 12:20 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like you found a sympathetic seller. Enjoy!