Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's hear you favorite moment this summer

We've had very consistent SW'er blowing 15-20 sometimes 25. Not always perfect weather, a bit of fog and low vis, and some thunderstorms, BUT, that SW has given us some of the best day sails I can recall. Beautiful reaches back from the Vineyard. Last night we left the cruising boat tied up and sailed one of the club 420's, and just stuck that baby on a plane and kept it there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

Last Sunday afternoon, after a long and very active July 4th weekend that started Wednesday night and kept on going with parties, jams, beer gardens, biking, volleyball and more, my favorite moment of the entire summer, perhaps sad to say but it was soooo relaxing, was being rocked to sleep, napping below decks after a swim while anchored off Great Captain Island, Greenwich, CT.
Old 07-11-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

So far.... Just finished our annual 10 day cruise with good friends. Recreating MJ's "Thriller" video, at 2 am, with an ipad, inside the cabin of an Oday 25.

I would love to show the video but I am sworn on punishment of death that it never hits the internet.
Old 07-11-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

It was a late start to the season for us but sailing has been fantastic so far! A bonus to the hot weather last week was water temperatures in the mid 70's around the islands in Penobscot Bay. Relief from the heat was just off the rail, and we swam as long as we wanted(not the July norm in Maine).

West winds have made for screaming reaches on flat water.

T37Chef likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-11-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

If i can take a liberty with the timing, for us Summer has not started. It will in a week and a half, when we take delivery of our new Jeanneau 50DS, and sail her (ok motor too) from Annapolis to NJ. That will be both the beginning of our sumemr, and my favorite moment.

PS- This week and a half is going by SO slow!
Old 07-17-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

Not just a moment but a long weekend. Last weekend we went to the Catalina Rendezvous On Catalina Island. It was an eleven hour trip there from Channel Islands harbor. It was quite cool and overcast on the trip there but once we arrived the sun came out and we had a great weekend. 72 degrees in Two harbors and 98 degrees back at the house. Heading back, again very cool until we hit the harbor. I need to go back!
Old 07-17-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

On our homeward leg from the San Juan Islands, popping out our asymmetrical spinnaker with 12 knots of perfect north wind. Seattle and Mount Rainier in the background. It was a perfect moment. That one will be tough to beat but we will give it go.

[IMG][/IMG]
jephotog likes this.
Old 07-17-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Reading The Hobbit to my two boys as a bedtime story while on the hook in Oyster Bay after a nice dinner ashore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbean For This Useful Post:
kellysails (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Short tacking out of Malaspina Inlet with my wife at the helm and me handling sail trim in about 10 knots of wind. Planning tacks around the rocks that we had to dodge and trying to be efficient while doing so. Great sailing! It was even more fun seeing another boat follow us out (two at first, but one gave up and fired up the iron genny).

Or maybe it was the peaceful night that we had in Isabel Bay just the night before, with the whole cove to ourselves and not a sound in the world. We read aloud a couple of chapters of "The Curve of Time" (much thanks to Faster for mentioning it on Sailnet in another northoceanbeach thread) every night and it's been a great addition to our travels here.

jephotog likes this.
Old 07-17-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

First sail on our new boat. First day 206 miles. Second day on deck alone at end of watch at ~5a. No land in sight. ~50m off N.J./N.Y. coast. Can see thunderstorms and lighting over land to port for miles on end. Dark and stars to starboard. Only sounds those god made. In 35kts true DDW with double reefed main and full solent on pole wing and wing averaging 9-10 with 11+ when wave comes under counter. Boat on autopilot. Standing hanging on to back of hard dodger with face taking spray from time to time. Wife comes out of companionway with hot oatmeal, coffee and a kiss. She takes watch. Perfect.
jephotog and joebeach like this.