Do you have an outboard for back up propulsion? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Re: Do you have an outboard for back up propulsion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
This reminds me of a member in our sailing club. They have a *BIG* full keeled Morgan. Doesn't back worth a damn. However, they do have a whole mechanical platform on the aft deck to lower their dinghy. Come time to reverse, the Admiral would get on the dinghy, and skipper would lower it just to the point where the shaft of the outboard was under water....then he'd back her up.

The dinghy acted like a stern thruster to straighten out the prop-walk and wander in reverse

Was a great spectacle in the marina, HA!
Eh? Am I sensing a little "holier then thou" attitude?

Maybe the spectacle is the people spectating!

I don't see how this discussion is about reversing motoring a boat. "doesn't back worth a damn" in your opinion maybe?

"If your calling me or others a fool, then say it! Don't hint, it's petty"

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Eh? Am I sensing a little "holier then thou" attitude?

Maybe the spectacle is the people spectating!

I don't see how this discussion is about reversing motoring a boat. "doesn't back worth a damn" in your opinion maybe?

"If your calling me or others a fool, then say it! Don't hint, it's petty"
Its pretty well acknowledged that any full keeled boat does not track in reverse. Personally, I think this is brilliant...sailing ingenuity at its best without throwing money at another piece of technology that is unreliable (thrusters).

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #13 of 25 Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Its pretty well acknowledged that any full keeled boat does not track in reverse. Personally, I think this is brilliant...sailing ingenuity at its best without throwing money at another piece of technology that is unreliable (thrusters).
I don't know, If I ever get a chance on a full keel boat I'll find out. Still, this wasn't about motoring in reverse which could be a good discussion on another thread. From all that I know and have seen, and using prop walk to help spin my boat 180 in tight quarters, is actually easy now, it wasn't 5 years ago.
jimgo and Seaduction like this.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #14 of 25 Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I don't know, If I ever get a chance on a full keel boat I'll find out. Still, this wasn't about motoring in reverse which could be a good discussion on another thread. From all that I know and have seen, and using prop walk to help spin my boat 180 in tight quarters, is actually easy now, it wasn't 5 years ago.
Yeah, it's back up propulsion, not backup propulsion!
deniseO30 and jimgo like this.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (07-11-2013)
post #15 of 25 Old 07-11-2013
Tundra Down

Denise,

At first I wasn't paying attention to your post. I have an Islander-28 with a great little A-4. It is most reliable. An obm doesn't make much sense for my purposes? After mulling over your "proposal" it occurred to me that having an obm that could push the boat if stranded in some remote location might be worth considering. Perhaps if we were leaving for a summer cruise to Newfoundland and wanted a back up motor, would building a removable mount that would hang low enough make sense? Finding the space to store an obm and that mount would be a problem. Probably too big a problem but, being stuck in some fiejord with no engine would be a PITA. If you could lower something down onto the transom and motor away that would be nice. We do have a long shaft, 4 stroke, 7.5 Honda that would probably push the boat at hull speed. Does it make sense to carry something that big as back up? Probably not. It is an interesting idea, thanks.

Carry enough spares for the A-4 instead.

Down

Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper
post #16 of 25 Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
me at 67!

Sorry for the confusion.. LOL No I did not mean "do you have power to back up"

I'm just thinking if I had transmission problems (more matter of when, not if) rather then cut a trip short and leave my boat for salv... err repairs

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #17 of 25 Old 07-11-2013

Hi Denise, Did the PO have an engine on that mount that worked for propulsion? When you say it's too high, do you mean too high for the 9.9 to fit on it and lower? I'm not sure why you'd need cable controls..wouldn't you just lock it and steer with your ships rudder?

I agree I don't know if I'd lug around the heavy 9.9 ..just in case. But a smaller outboard that could serve a dual purpose of engine back-up and dinghy outboard might be worth considering.

In either case, I'm guessing you're worried about the trans. going in the worst possible place like the C&D canal or some other narrow channel. The transom mount would get you going faster: lower, start and go. Hip towing with a dinghy takes a little time to set up. You might want to think about how to get an anchor out quickly, if you can't sail to safety.

I transit a rock lined inlet and two bridges to get in and out of my marina where there's often swift currents running. Only once in many years did my engine stall in the channel ( before I cleaned the fuel tank). But ever since then I've kept a danforth anchor mounted to my stern rail. I managed to sail back to my slip with the genoa, but it was a rare beam wind and two open bridges that allowed me to do that.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #18 of 25 Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Do you have a dink with an outboard? If so a 'hip tow' with the dink lashed alongside works.

Even a 2hp egg beater will move a 30 footer along providing there is not much wind.
Although I have actually never done it, I have watched the Tow Boat US bring a few boats in using this technique...maybe I should try it for myself before I need to

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

post #19 of 25 Old 07-11-2013 Thread Starter
me at 67!

The mount is too high for any outboard. and it's not even reinforced inside the transom for it. It does make a good lpg tank mount LOL I've hip towed a boat with my club dinghy and it was slow but did work. The 9.9 I have doesn't even have a tiller handle, guess it could be rigged to run one speed. But lugging that thing is not something I'd want to do. sold my honda 2 hp very short shaft it was though.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #20 of 25 Old 07-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

With your boat, you really don't NEED to steer using the tiller handle. The only thing you'd need is the throttle cable. I wonder if you couldn't make a temporary mount that you could put on the stern pulpit for the controls. As others have said, perhaps a structure (stainless steel?) kind of like a ladder that fits over the gunwals (sp?) at the back with a mount for the outboard. No, I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis, or in really nasty seas, but for where you sail, something like that might work to get you to the nearest marina.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.