SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Do you have an outboard for back up propulsion? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101258-do-you-have-outboard-back-up-propulsion.html)

deniseO30 07-10-2013 11:44 PM

Do you have an outboard for back up propulsion?

Just wondering. :)

I don't. :rolleyes:

My boat does have a OB mount but it's way too high from the WL.

I do have a 9.9 2 stroke that was given me. but it's heavy. and needs cable control levers and cable. :rolleyes: so I'm not keen on that.

I do have Boat us unlimited towing.

MY engine has never failed me but, my transmission, while it's working ok now, the last tree stump jamming has given me an uneasy feeling about my trip down river to the Chessie in Sept. The prop has been jammed 4 or 5 times while underway in the past 3 seasons and keeps on "transmissioning" (new word :rolleyes:) strut is ok, shaft and seal ok too, no leaks. she does go in gear fwd and rev; fluid is ok, and I keep up on those things. I have used the boat maybe 10 hrs on the trans since the jamming. All seems ok.. but... I know many of you know the "feeling" :D water systems, oil pumps all good too. Jimgo really knows what that feeling is!

I wonder.. I have a trolling motor for the dink too. But have never used that either. Wasn't there someone, (ChrisNCate?) using a trolling motor to just move their 30ft boat in and out the slip? (must try that sometime) :cool:

guess I'm over thinking and pre-worrying things again.. Seems the older I get the more I do that!

TQA 07-11-2013 12:03 AM

Re: Do you have an outboard for back up propulsion?

Do you have a dink with an outboard? If so a 'hip tow' with the dink lashed alongside works.

Even a 2hp egg beater will move a 30 footer along providing there is not much wind.

deniseO30 07-11-2013 12:08 AM

I sold my 2 hp honda. as I like to row. I actually did a hip tow with the club dink and 27ft boat for one of the club members a couple of years ago. It does work.

BarryL 07-11-2013 12:10 AM

Hey,

I do have back up propulsion - my sails!

When I first started sailing I worried about the engine conking out. But, in the ten years I have been sailing I had one time when the engine would not start, and a few times when it would over heat. Now I'm more relaxed about things.

Barry

Barry

jimgo 07-11-2013 12:56 AM

Denise, that's part of why I have the dinghy and an outboard. It may not move me at hull speed, but at least it is backup propulsion.

Alex W 07-11-2013 12:57 AM

I occasionally practice sailing into my slip so that I'm ready to do it if I'm having engine issues.

Michael K 07-11-2013 12:59 AM

What with ethanol so commonly found in gas, most outboards need another outboard for backup! I actually made this sort of arrangement a while ago and am glad I did.

deniseO30 07-11-2013 01:04 AM

Thanks all. yes I can, and do know how sail to and from the dock and mooring. IF there are no boats there. The owners (other club members) get real nervous about such acts LOL. The Delaware from here to the northern end of the the Chessie requires motoring quite a bit. It could take 4 days to sail south from here lol (it's almost always wind coming up river.) beating in and tacking every 5 mins gets real old when trying to get somewhere LOL

TakeFive 07-11-2013 09:20 AM

I have an outboard. It backs up my primary propulsion (sails).

I have never had any problem with E10 gas. The key to dealing with E10 in a marine environment is to prevent water uptake by keeping the tank full and keeping the vent closed when not in use, and prevent hydrolysis reactions that form acid by adding a fuel stabilizer. I do all of these things, plus every two months I siphon the tank into my car and start over with fresh fuel. I also burn off all the fuel in the carb every time I'm finished sailing.

I also run a 50 hp two-cycle outboard 1-2 weeks a year, and follow similar procedures, except I can't dump the gas into my car. I just burn off as much of the gas as I can when I'm done using it for the season.

night0wl 07-11-2013 10:31 AM

This reminds me of a member in our sailing club. They have a *BIG* full keeled Morgan. Doesn't back worth a damn. However, they do have a whole mechanical platform on the aft deck to lower their dinghy. Come time to reverse, the Admiral would get on the dinghy, and skipper would lower it just to the point where the shaft of the outboard was under water....then he'd back her up.

The dinghy acted like a stern thruster to straighten out the prop-walk and wander in reverse :D

Was a great spectacle in the marina, HA!