SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Replace cotter pins with welding rod (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101265-replace-cotter-pins-welding-rod.html)

TakeFive 07-11-2013 08:09 AM

Replace cotter pins with welding rod

BoatUS July Seaworthy Magazine arrived in my mailbox yesterday. There was an interesting article on inspecting older sailboats.

In the article they mentioned replacing cotter pins with welding rod. I've never heard of this before. What do you guys think of this? What are the recommended specs on the welding rod? Where do you find it? Any tips on installation, or do you just cut the right length and bend it on?

knuterikt 07-11-2013 08:17 AM

Re: Replace cotter pins with welding rod

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 1057445)
BoatUS July Seaworthy Magazine arrived in my mailbox yesterday. There was an interesting article on inspecting older sailboats.

In the article they mentioned replacing cotter pins with welding rod. I've never heard of this before. What do you guys think of this? What are the recommended specs on the welding rod? Where do you find it? Any tips on installation, or do you just cut the right length and bend it on?

Go to the source for this tip :)
stainless steel welding rod info - SparTalk

smurphny 07-11-2013 08:20 AM

This comes from Brian Toss in his Rigger's Apprentice, a great book. The core s.s. from an old, broken teleflex control cable works fine and is a good way to re-use them.

krisscross 07-11-2013 08:20 AM

As long as you are matching stainless steel hardware with stainless steel welding rods, I think it will work just fine. Welding rods are relatively cheap and easy to find. One example here:

aa3jy 07-11-2013 08:23 AM

One interesting point that was made in the article is that the removal of welding wire is easier and faster in case of a de masting..which our vessel experienced..

rd1900 07-11-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisscross (Post 1057450)
As long as you are matching stainless steel hardware with stainless steel welding rods, I think it will work just fine. Welding rods are relatively cheap and easy to find. One example here: Forney 44556 Stainless Steel Welding Rod, 3/32-Inch, 1/2-Pound

Not that kind of welding rod, you want stainless filler rod as used for TIG welding. Search Amazon for ER316L Stainless Steel TIG Welding Rods 1-Lb 1/16"x36"

krisscross 07-11-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd1900 (Post 1057460)
Not that kind of welding rod, you want stainless filler rod as used for TIG welding. Search Amazon for ER316L Stainless Steel TIG Welding Rods 1-Lb 1/16"x36"

You are absolutely right. I did not look at the rods in my link closely enough.

deltaten 07-11-2013 09:34 AM

OK... So enlighten me, please....
How is it easier/better/faster? Why a de-masting as example?

Yes. cotter pins are fiddly; but other than a lack of one 'leg' ta fool with, what are the advantages?
From all appearances, it looks ta me like the ends would tuck under, avoiding dreaded cotter pin scrapes :D

smurphny 07-11-2013 09:58 AM

I see the main advantage of this as not having to constantly buy new cotter pins:-)

deniseO30 07-11-2013 10:09 AM

So it's using wire basically. I read it too, I'll stay with spiral rings.