SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Great White spotted near Key West (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101281-great-white-spotted-near-key-west.html)

manatee 07-11-2013 08:31 PM

Great White spotted near Key West

Look around before taking that refreshing dip.

Boat captain spots great white shark off Florida Keys - Tampa Bay Environmental News | Examiner.com

remetau 07-11-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Great White spotted near Key West

They have been spotting them quite often around the 50ft mark along with Makos, Bulls, and Hammerheads.

jimgo 07-11-2013 09:04 PM

Apparently the sharks haven't heard that Brian left several weeks ago.

krisscross 07-12-2013 08:21 AM

Shark presence is usually a sign of a healthy ecosystem. We should feed them our politicians. Democrats on even numbered days, Republicans on the odd ones (somehow that order seems appropriate).

mad_machine 07-12-2013 08:48 AM

we want to encourage them, Krisscross, not kill them. Politicians are too bloated with fat and porkprojects

killarney_sailor 07-12-2013 02:27 PM

Went 'swimming with great whites' in a shark cage in South Africa. Before I went in the water I wondered why the cage was so battered looking. After seeing 4 m sharks (the really big ones were off on migration apparently) bash into the cage I understood the bent bars. They are incredible animals when you see them a foot or so away.

JimMcGee 07-12-2013 02:32 PM

They're more common than you think. I just heard from the marina guys that the fisherman have been seeing one just outside Barnegat inlet for over a week now.

Me, I'm OK if I never see one up close. When they're around I'm no longer at the top of the food chain. :eek:

JimMcGee 07-12-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 1058210)
Went 'swimming with great whites' in a shark cage in South Africa. Before I went in the water I wondered why the cage was so battered looking. After seeing 4 m sharks (the really big ones were off on migration apparently) bash into the cage I understood the bent bars. They are incredible animals when you see them a foot or so away.

That's because they're trying to get to the tasty treat inside the cage!

jimgo 07-12-2013 02:34 PM

Jim, you're still at the top of the food chain. They are just sitting at the bottom of the chain, waiting for you to slip. :)

misfits 07-12-2013 03:30 PM

He must be lonely. All his brothers are vacationing up at cape cod