SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Trying to start a new blog (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101297-trying-start-new-blog.html)

CaribDream 07-12-2013 09:12 AM

Trying to start a new blog

Although I have almost no free time for this, I am making an attempt to start a blog related to my (and my wife's) desire to live aboard and the transition - be it 1 year or 10, or maybe we'll fail in ever making it happen.

Who knows. I just thought it might be fun to write about how we learned, got certified, our sailing charters, our travels, etc. Misadventures of two dreamers.

I just started this, so there isn't a lot of content yet. But I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Http://thegreatislandescape.blogspot.com

krisscross 07-12-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Trying to start a new blog

I love blogs like that. I wish you both lots of fun out there... :)

chucklesR 07-12-2013 09:39 AM

Good Luck, I'm traveling the same waterway.

jimgo 07-12-2013 10:36 AM

Very nice! Looking forward to the updates.

I started a blog for much the same reason. I grew up on powerboats, and really loved being on the water. When I graduated college I moved to an area that I thought wouldn't really support boating, and I missed it a lot. I finally had the chance to get back into boating last year, and wanted to catalog some of our adventures so my kids will have something to look back on and understand why dad was always going to the boat without them! ;)

CaribDream 07-12-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR:1058057
Good Luck, I'm traveling the same waterway.

Thx! I am missing so many pieces, and have so many doubts... but I will regret if I never at least give it a try.

CaribDream 07-12-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo:1058087
Very nice! Looking forward to the updates.

I started a blog for much the same reason. I grew up on powerboats, and really loved being on the water. When I graduated college I moved to an area that I thought wouldn't really support boating, and I missed it a lot. I finally had the chance to get back into boating last year, and wanted to catalog some of our adventures so my kids will have something to look back on and understand why dad was always going to the boat without them! ;)

LOL... Now see, you're one of those cool parents that are so hard to find these days. Maybe if my wife and I knew more people like you, we might hang out with people with kids more ;-)

jimgo 07-12-2013 01:38 PM

My boys are 7 and 5; give them a few years, and I'm sure they will hearily disagree with the "cool parents" comment! ;)

chucklesR 07-12-2013 01:38 PM

Kids come in handy when you move aboard and go cruising, they do stuff like forward mail, handle banking (that's where they send you money for a change).

CaribDream 07-12-2013 01:58 PM

I took a look at the blogs you guys have. Wow. You are all way further ahead in the game than I with your boats.

My plan is to hopefully find my boat in the islands when the time to move aboard comes. Tortola? We will sell our house her in CT which will more or less be a wash. Sell all the cars but one. Keep my summer lake house in the Adirondacks which I have saved enough to pay off now, and my boat there was bought cash. Ideally, I would like to spend 6-8 months living aboard in the Virgin Islands, and the rest at our lake house.

So we would be zero debt, with some kitty for a boat and some running costs. My main issue - a) getting the balls to commit, and b) figuring out a way to make enough money to maintain that life and make it stick. We have no kids, but we have a dog and two cats which complicate things a bit.

jimgo 07-12-2013 02:32 PM

It's part b) that always trips me up! For now, I'm resigned to land-based living. Chuck, on the other hand, has an amazing set-up and plan. Chuck, how long have you been planning and putting everything in motion?

I'd probably reconsider the Island-living idea, but that's just me. The cost of living down there can be pretty high, and parts availability isn't always that great. Though, if you're living on island time anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter. But for something important, like something you need that allows you to keep generating the income you want/need, it could be a bit of a problem.