Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Trying to start a new blog

Although I have almost no free time for this, I am making an attempt to start a blog related to my (and my wife's) desire to live aboard and the transition - be it 1 year or 10, or maybe we'll fail in ever making it happen.

Who knows. I just thought it might be fun to write about how we learned, got certified, our sailing charters, our travels, etc. Misadventures of two dreamers.

I just started this, so there isn't a lot of content yet. But I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Http://thegreatislandescape.blogspot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to start a new blog

I love blogs like that. I wish you both lots of fun out there...
Old 07-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Good Luck, I'm traveling the same waterway.
Old 07-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Very nice! Looking forward to the updates.

I started a blog for much the same reason. I grew up on powerboats, and really loved being on the water. When I graduated college I moved to an area that I thought wouldn't really support boating, and I missed it a lot. I finally had the chance to get back into boating last year, and wanted to catalog some of our adventures so my kids will have something to look back on and understand why dad was always going to the boat without them!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR:1058057
Good Luck, I'm traveling the same waterway.
Thx! I am missing so many pieces, and have so many doubts... but I will regret if I never at least give it a try.

Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo:1058087
Very nice! Looking forward to the updates.

I started a blog for much the same reason. I grew up on powerboats, and really loved being on the water. When I graduated college I moved to an area that I thought wouldn't really support boating, and I missed it a lot. I finally had the chance to get back into boating last year, and wanted to catalog some of our adventures so my kids will have something to look back on and understand why dad was always going to the boat without them!
LOL... Now see, you're one of those cool parents that are so hard to find these days. Maybe if my wife and I knew more people like you, we might hang out with people with kids more ;-)

Old 07-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

My boys are 7 and 5; give them a few years, and I'm sure they will hearily disagree with the "cool parents" comment!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Kids come in handy when you move aboard and go cruising, they do stuff like forward mail, handle banking (that's where they send you money for a change).
Old 07-12-2013

I took a look at the blogs you guys have. Wow. You are all way further ahead in the game than I with your boats.

My plan is to hopefully find my boat in the islands when the time to move aboard comes. Tortola? We will sell our house her in CT which will more or less be a wash. Sell all the cars but one. Keep my summer lake house in the Adirondacks which I have saved enough to pay off now, and my boat there was bought cash. Ideally, I would like to spend 6-8 months living aboard in the Virgin Islands, and the rest at our lake house.

So we would be zero debt, with some kitty for a boat and some running costs. My main issue - a) getting the balls to commit, and b) figuring out a way to make enough money to maintain that life and make it stick. We have no kids, but we have a dog and two cats which complicate things a bit.

Old 07-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

It's part b) that always trips me up! For now, I'm resigned to land-based living. Chuck, on the other hand, has an amazing set-up and plan. Chuck, how long have you been planning and putting everything in motion?

I'd probably reconsider the Island-living idea, but that's just me. The cost of living down there can be pretty high, and parts availability isn't always that great. Though, if you're living on island time anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter. But for something important, like something you need that allows you to keep generating the income you want/need, it could be a bit of a problem.
1975 Albacore 15