Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Back from Bermuda

I can't find the old thread when I left and the internet is a bit hit and miss here, but I am back in the bohemia. Garry I somehow managed to loos the e mail with your phone number, If you could send that again, I'll give ya a call.
Sailing solo in a car wash is just fun. I'll give you guys a heads up on events once I have had a hat full of sleep.

Take care

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Back from Bermuda

Glad that you are back safe and relatively sound!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-13-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Welcome back.. Glad to see you save and sound!
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-14-2013
Owned by Velcro

ell it was an interesting trip to Bermuda and back with two people that have never sailed before. In a way I just had loud ballast on board but they had the time of their life. They stayed in Bermuda for a few more days and took a plane back to the UK via Baltimore while I sailed back on my todd.
Leaving the chessie on the way outthere was hradly any wind worth pulling the rags up for but it turned into a nice breeze on day two and by day 3 we had a good 25 knots on a beam reach. Both of them could not get the concept of stering a boat so it was down to me and after a couple of nights and 3 days I hove to and got a hat full of sleep then went on towards Bermuda. Stopped the boat again after another couple of day to sleep and then the wind changed so that Tiki was able to sail herself and we started to make some good miles per day at last. It took us 7 days to get there and I checked in at customs at 0200, stayed for a couplke of days and turned around heading west again. The weather report said it was going to be a stable north east wind at 8 to 12 knots for the next few days. Just wat I wanted but one day out of Bermuda the wind died on me and I drifted for a couple of days and nights before it picked up again. This time I was going hard into the wind in order to make the Delaware bay but we were still doing an average speed of 7.5 kn so eating the miles up. Two days before Cape maywe got into some thunder storms for most of the day and the night as well so had to do a bit of t storm slalom but made it through without any damage and then the shipping picked up getting closer to the coast so it was again a marathon without sleep. By the time I got to cape may I dad been steering for two days and nights and got there at 0700 got some diesel and the dropped the hook in order to get some sleep but could not settle down, so up came the hook and I motored from Cape may in one stint to the Bohemia river and dropped the hook here at 1030 that evening completely pooped.
Not to tired to propose to my girl I wanted to get back to asap though. But that is another story.

Take care

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 07-14-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Not to tired to propose to my girl I wanted to get back to asap though. But that is another story.

Take care

Michael
HEY! You can't just drop that bomb and go back to sleep! WTH??!!

Congratulations!

Whatdshesay?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-14-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I visited with Michael today, and had the good fortune to meet up with his girlfriend Linda. Michael looks no worse for the wear of his most recent trip. Linda looks great.

I mixed a Green Coconut Margaretta for Michael, and for Linda a small glass of my Homemade Kahlua, which she said she thoroughly enjoyed. I also shared the recipe with her and said I would post the information here.

4 cups water
5 cups sugar
4 cups vodka
1/2 cup instant coffee
1 TSP vanilla extract

In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add 1 cup of sugar then stir in the instant coffee until it dissolves. Next, stir in the remaining 4 cups of sugar until dissolved, simmer for about 20 minutes, allow to cool to room temperature, add vodka and vanilla, stir and bottle. This makes just over 3 5ths of Kahlua, and the total cost, depending on how much you wish to spend on the vodka, averages about $3 to $4 per bottle. The taste - superb!

For those that have never met Michael and his very attractive girlfriend, here they are.

Cheers,

Gary
krisscross likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
fryewe (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Both of them could not get the concept of stering a boat so it was down to me and after a couple of nights and 3 days I hove to and got a hat full of sleep then went on towards Bermuda. Stopped the boat again after another couple of day to sleep and then the wind changed so that Tiki was able to sail herself and we started to make some good miles per day at last...

By the time I got to cape may I dad been steering for two days and nights and got there at 0700 got some diesel and the dropped the hook in order to get some sleep but could not settle down, so up came the hook and I motored from Cape may in one stint to the Bohemia river and dropped the hook here at 1030 that evening completely pooped.
Welcome back, but... Uhhh, don't you have a means of self-steering on that boat?

Congrats, bigtime, on the proposal... :-)
Old 07-15-2013
Owned by Velcro

The self steering broke down 2 days out of Torquay (UK) last year when I saild over to here and I have not found a need to fix it yet as it is next to useless down wind and I don't need it sailing to windwards. I have the plans for a wind vane steering here and the means to build it as well, but those things are just butt ugly and I can't as yet bring myself to nailing one of those constructions onto the back of Tiki. Anyway I am in no rush and if I have to park the boat now and then to get some sleep it just adds a bit of time to the sailing trip and that can't be a bad thing, can it. In other words..... works for me

ATB

Michael

Old 07-15-2013
Owned by Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
HEY! You can't just drop that bomb and go back to sleep! WTH??!!

Congratulations!

Whatdshesay?
Of course I can and I did and she said yes.

Old 07-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The self steering broke down 2 days out of Torquay (UK) last year when I saild over to here and I have not found a need to fix it yet as it is next to useless down wind and I don't need it sailing to windwards. I have the plans for a wind vane steering here and the means to build it as well, but those things are just butt ugly and I can't as yet bring myself to nailing one of those constructions onto the back of Tiki. Anyway I am in no rush and if I have to park the boat now and then to get some sleep it just adds a bit of time to the sailing trip and that can't be a bad thing, can it. In other words..... works for me

ATB

Michael
Well, yours is a very good attitude to take... You're a far better man than me, I generally need to keep moving, and wouldn't think of heading off to Bermuda solo on my own boat without both an autopilot AND a vane... :-)

Of course, that says something about my boat, as well... TIKI must be beautifully balanced, what sort of boat is she?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.