SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Walker Bay Dinghy (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101340-walker-bay-dinghy.html)

mad_machine 07-13-2013 06:50 PM

Walker Bay Dinghy

Been seeing a lot of them on Craigslist and I need something for when I go to florida. Anybody have any opinions on them? I was thinking of mostly using them with oars.. but sharing the small outboard from my boat might be nice too

chef2sail 07-13-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Walker Bay Dinghy

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1058696)
Been seeing a lot of them on Craigslist and I need something for when I go to florida. Anybody have any opinions on them? I was thinking of mostly using them with oars.. but sharing the small outboard from my boat might be nice too

Is it he sailing one, or a regular one. We have a Walker Bay Odessey. Air floor, carries 1100 lbs, 16.5 tubes keep you dry. Not a speed demon but a good solid construction. Great lifting rings.

mad_machine 07-13-2013 07:53 PM

I see the sailing ones. I do not want an inflatable. I rowed in Competetively in HS and College and I prefer that method of locomotion.. rowing an inflatable is more an exercise in futility

jgeissinger 07-13-2013 08:07 PM

I have had a 10ft. WB for 8 or 9 years. I also have another brand air floor inflatable. The inflatable is stable to board and great to use as a dinghy. The WB is much better and dryer motoring against any sort of chop, and the payload is amazing, Yes, it can be rowed just fine also. It has also been dragged up on many a rocky beach and over the edge of rough docks, and it is simply indestructible. Each has its own merits, but I have nothing but praise for the WB.

T37Chef 07-14-2013 09:12 AM

If you want a rowing dingy I think there are ones much better for that than the WB, I bet you could find a nice one on Craigslist or in a local penny saver or just talk around the marina

zeehag 07-14-2013 09:56 AM

my walker bay 8 rows decent, sails crappy, and is in general a few steps above a toy. is indestructible and makes surf landings fun.
i do not know if i would deliberately buy one--this one came with boat, therefore essentially free, as boat was decent price.

i can pack up to one of the 5 gallons water bottles and laundry in this thing, but no surf landings when packed well..lol.....

TQA 07-14-2013 10:12 AM

As others have said there are better rowing dinks than a WB.

There are some 2 part nesting dinks that row well and might suit you.

zeehag 07-14-2013 11:08 AM

actually, wb8 rows well ..in up to 17 measured knots of wind and seas to 1 ft.
after that, it goes sideways and not fun to try to control. btdt.....la cruz de huanacaxtle and their nonanchorage anchorage is not the place to test it, but is as good a place as any....upwards of 15 kts with any kind of seas, was most difficult to manage wb8--actually took me 30 mins to row 10 ft in those conditions.

mad_machine 07-14-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1058893)
If you want a rowing dingy I think there are ones much better for that than the WB, I bet you could find a nice one on Craigslist or in a local penny saver or just talk around the marina

been scouring CL and they seem to be all I can find in the way of dinks aside from inflatables. When the nicer ones do show up.. I might as well buy a nice gig-harbor dink new for what they want for them

BarryL 07-14-2013 02:55 PM

Hey

My water tender dink was stolen and I replaced it with a walker bay 10. My oday is on a mooring and I use the dink to get from beach to boat and back again. I am on my 4th dink: an 8 foot fiberglass sumner dink that I rebuilt, an older water tender 9.4, a new water trender w cathedral hull and now the walker bay.

The web rows the best and holds a lot of people and gear. It is reasonably stable. But it's heavy. I have to drag my dink up a sandy beach to store in a rack and the wb is a real pain to drag. The water tender was much lighter and easier to drag.

Barry