Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay Dinghy

Been seeing a lot of them on Craigslist and I need something for when I go to florida. Anybody have any opinions on them? I was thinking of mostly using them with oars.. but sharing the small outboard from my boat might be nice too

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Walker Bay Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Been seeing a lot of them on Craigslist and I need something for when I go to florida. Anybody have any opinions on them? I was thinking of mostly using them with oars.. but sharing the small outboard from my boat might be nice too
Is it he sailing one, or a regular one. We have a Walker Bay Odessey. Air floor, carries 1100 lbs, 16.5 tubes keep you dry. Not a speed demon but a good solid construction. Great lifting rings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

I see the sailing ones. I do not want an inflatable. I rowed in Competetively in HS and College and I prefer that method of locomotion.. rowing an inflatable is more an exercise in futility

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-13-2013

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

I have had a 10ft. WB for 8 or 9 years. I also have another brand air floor inflatable. The inflatable is stable to board and great to use as a dinghy. The WB is much better and dryer motoring against any sort of chop, and the payload is amazing, Yes, it can be rowed just fine also. It has also been dragged up on many a rocky beach and over the edge of rough docks, and it is simply indestructible. Each has its own merits, but I have nothing but praise for the WB.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-14-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
If you want a rowing dingy I think there are ones much better for that than the WB, I bet you could find a nice one on Craigslist or in a local penny saver or just talk around the marina

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-14-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my walker bay 8 rows decent, sails crappy, and is in general a few steps above a toy. is indestructible and makes surf landings fun.
i do not know if i would deliberately buy one--this one came with boat, therefore essentially free, as boat was decent price.

i can pack up to one of the 5 gallons water bottles and laundry in this thing, but no surf landings when packed well..lol.....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 07-14-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

As others have said there are better rowing dinks than a WB.

There are some 2 part nesting dinks that row well and might suit you.
Old 07-14-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

actually, wb8 rows well ..in up to 17 measured knots of wind and seas to 1 ft.
after that, it goes sideways and not fun to try to control. btdt.....la cruz de huanacaxtle and their nonanchorage anchorage is not the place to test it, but is as good a place as any....upwards of 15 kts with any kind of seas, was most difficult to manage wb8--actually took me 30 mins to row 10 ft in those conditions.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 07-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
If you want a rowing dingy I think there are ones much better for that than the WB, I bet you could find a nice one on Craigslist or in a local penny saver or just talk around the marina
been scouring CL and they seem to be all I can find in the way of dinks aside from inflatables. When the nicer ones do show up.. I might as well buy a nice gig-harbor dink new for what they want for them

Old 07-14-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey

My water tender dink was stolen and I replaced it with a walker bay 10. My oday is on a mooring and I use the dink to get from beach to boat and back again. I am on my 4th dink: an 8 foot fiberglass sumner dink that I rebuilt, an older water tender 9.4, a new water trender w cathedral hull and now the walker bay.

The web rows the best and holds a lot of people and gear. It is reasonably stable. But it's heavy. I have to drag my dink up a sandy beach to store in a rack and the wb is a real pain to drag. The water tender was much lighter and easier to drag.

Barry