Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
While it is very disturbing about the looting, particularly on the Vineyard were I would not have expected it, r.
Curious about this statement. Why would you have not expected it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-14-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He had no previous sailing experience when he bought the vessel in December 2012, but he had dreamed of life at sea. He spent the next five months outfitting Running Free for a trans-Atlantic voyage and learning how to handle the boat on his own. He quickly discovered how different the open ocean is compared with the protected waters of the St. John's River in Jacksonville.
So five months just isn't enough sailing experience to try and cross the Atlantic. Who would have thunk it?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-14-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

and me thinks; if I ever get to Cape May with my boat and go out the inlet for a day sail on the ocean it would be a bucket list event LOL
chef2sail likes this.

My boat is for sale.
Old 07-14-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Put a baby in a clothes drier, and the drier will run happil for days, the baby, not so much. So why should it be surprising that boats can weather a storm better than the wetware that owns them?

It is mildly puzzling why the Edgarton rescue squad managed to put a man aboard the boat, while it was still floating freely (so it sounds) and yet they didn't bother to either take it in tow (good salvage claim) or drop the anchor, to stop it from running ashore. Almost as if they had a non-compete agreement with wreckers, one gets the warm bodies, the other gets the bounty.
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
agree, except I don't see scuttling the boat as a real course of action.
Huh? it was for Skip Allan, when he abandoned WILDFLOWER...

This is how Bill Schanen put it in SAILING:

The tears are understandable, but this is not a sad story. A boat was lost, but a sailor survived. And unlike so many rescues of yachtsmen in distress, this one put no rescuers’ lives at risk and spent no taxpayers’ money. Nor will Wildflower exact any costs as a derelict menace to shipping. As his final act before leaving her, Skip disconnected the hose from the engine seawater intake, allowing the boat to sink.

If there is such a thing as a class act in abandoning ship, this was it.

Quote:

Lt. Saxon also said that if I left my boat, she would be considered “derelict” and broadcast as a hazard to navigation. I assured her I would not leave my boat floating.

At 1415 hours, one of the world's biggest container ships was bearing down on WILDFLOWER, less than five boat lengths (125 feet) dead ahead, the huge bulb bow scending 20 feet and making a five foot breaking wave. With my heart in my throat, I motored down the starboard side of a gigantic black wall, made a U turn, and pulled alongside the pilot's door and rope ladder.

The crew threw a heaving line, and in the next five minutes we transferred three bags. Knowing I was next, I jumped below decks, said a final quick goodbye, and pulled the already unclamped hose off the engine salt water intake thru hull.

Skip Allan's Report - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Old 07-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
What's his sailnet screen name?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

That's halarious weinie.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Again, the most amazing thing about this story to me, is how seemingly clueless the Coast Guard was regarding this abandonment, and how poorly they record or monitor the status of these vessels left adrift...

Hell, I posted the story here about 2 weeks ago when she was boarded by a party from a Carnival cruise ship... Presumably, the CG never informed them that she had been abandoned, and there was no one aboard... But what it REALLY hard to fathom, is that even AFTER that boarding and confirmation she was still afloat, the CG never even bothered to inform the owner of that fact... WE knew she was still out there, but HE still didn't??? UFB...

Even after she had come ashore on the Vineyard, authorities had no idea of the backstory that had become known to readers of sailing forums by that time... It was left to some resident of Edgartown to track the owner down via Facebook...

Again, one really has to wonder whether the CG even cares about these boats set adrift, if they even bother to enter them into their database, or how many others might be floating around out there that we'll never know about, until they fetch up on some beach in a populated stretch of coastline...
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-14-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

This guy is taking some crit for not having his priorities straight. Interesting. His first priority is running. And, he's got a big race to run. He's not going to let the minor detail of his abandoned boat showing up unexpectedly interfere with those plans.

There is a saying regarding the material things in life that goes something like this: Do we own our toys or do they own us? In that regard how many times have the toys we own dictated how we spent our time? Not the planned time but the unplanned events? Example - storm is predicted to pass nearby, gotta get down to the boat and batten everything down etc etc etc!!!! Do you own that boat or does it own you?

While there is much to criticize in this story, his not letting the details interfere with what's really important to him, that's something to admire. Though I believe most people don't get it.
Old 07-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
This guy is taking some crit for not having his priorities straight. Interesting. His first priority is running. And, he's got a big race to run. He's not going to let the minor detail of his abandoned boat showing up unexpectedly interfere with those plans.

There is a saying regarding the material things in life that goes something like this: Do we own our toys or do they own us? In that regard how many times have the toys we own dictated how we spent our time? Not the planned time but the unplanned events? Example - storm is predicted to pass nearby, gotta get down to the boat and batten everything down etc etc etc!!!! Do you own that boat or does it own you?

While there is much to criticize in this story, his not letting the details interfere with what's really important to him, that's something to admire. Though I believe most people don't get it.
I don't think it is anything to admire in the fact that he took completely unnecessary risks, in his "adventure" that he was completely unprepared for. He inconvenienced the tanker in asking them to save him. He leaves his boat to drift as the article said through busy shipping lanes(should have scuttled it seems he had plenty of time), so he put those in the shipping lanes at risk. He can't be bothered to get insurance on the boat. He is surprised that it just shows up, what did he think it would just disappear after he abandoned it. He seems happy to have his collection of running shoes back?

Oh don't let your responsibilities get in the way of a race. No way, just leave your boat on the beach for others to deal with. Yea, that is something to admire, unfortunately it is what is becoming the American way, no need to take responsibility for our own actions. It must be someone else fault, can't be mine. Hum who should I sue about this, it cant be my fault after all they let me sail out into the open ocean alone, unprepared, not knowing what I was doing and not knowing what to expect. Perhaps it is my parents faults, after all they raised me to be irresponsible. Yea I can admire that, oh no wait I can't because it is called being irresponsible.

If you own a boat, yes you should be responsible and take care of it. If you are not willing to do that then don't buy one, join a sail club and pay them to take care of it for you. Unfortunately our lives are full of responsibilities.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-15-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.