Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting tale of a captain who abandoned vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

And once a boat has gone aground, probably bent or sheared the rudder, ripped up the propshaft, maybe displaced the keel, the wrecking yard is very much the right place for it. Especially on a high-rent island in prime season.
I don't know, "displacing" the integral keel on a boat as stoutly built as a Pearson 365 isn't gonna be easy... If you were gonna choose a boat based solely on its ability to survive an encounter with a sand beach, the underbody of this boat, with the rudder attached to a substantial skeg, would be a pretty good choice...

The rudder still appears to be in decent shape, preparatory to the final tow off...

I'm a bit surprised none of the looters made off with that solar array, that would have been the first thing that might have caught my eye... (grin, bigtime)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, "displacing" the integral keel on a boat as stoutly built as a Pearson 365 isn't gonna be easy... If you were gonna choose a boat based solely on its ability to survive an encounter with a sand beach, the underbody of this boat, with the rudder attached to a substantial skeg, would be a pretty good choice...

The rudder still appears to be in decent shape, preparatory to the final tow off...

I'm a bit surprised none of the looters made off with that solar array, that would have been the first thing that might have caught my eye... (grin, bigtime)

Has the boat been towed off or is it still sitting on the beach? Has the owner retained ownership or is the boat salvage?

I agree with Jon, the underbody of this boat is about as good as it gets for this type of situation.

I also agree with Jon, that if i were so inclined to be a looter forget the sneaker collection and hand me a screw driver!!!!!

Interestingly, in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy boat looters in NJ and NY went for the high end electronics first.
Old 07-18-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I'm sure someone will buy that boat from salvage company to have her fixed up. There seems to be no structural damage to her. Even the dodger is intact.
Old 07-18-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I'm sure someone will buy that boat from salvage company to have her fixed up. There seems to be no structural damage to her. Even the dodger is intact.
I wonder if the police would give you that pile of sailboat hardware they did nto know what to do with?!?!