Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road
Re: For those that moved from land to sea

It had been my boyfriend's plan for a couple of years - even before we started dating - to leave his professional NYC (sales) life behind and move to South America. I decided that I was coming along for the adventure 11 months before we left. I was in marketing at a big fancy NYC company but wanted more adventure in my life. So, we packed up, gave away our winter clothes and headed south. We're JUST about done with our refit and ready to get out on the high seas!

Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
wingNwing and CaribDream like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
I am absolutely loving these stories. Keep them coming! My wife and I have the dream of doing 6-8 months aboard, and the remainder at our summer home. We have enough money saved to pay off the summer home, and we would sell everything at our main location in CT. This would leave us with no debt and approx $150k left for a boat and expenses. Problem is, that wouldn't last long, especially if we ran into trouble. Then there is healthcare etc. We are in pur mid 30s so we need to figure out how to make enough money to sustain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Thought about it for about 8 years so I saved here and there. Kept an eye on sailboatlistings.com and craigslist for a couple hours on average a week, just seeing what was moving and what the market was doing.
Finally, in one month I sought out slips and boats, finally narrowed it down to one slip and one boat, bought it, spent about 2 months sailing it on the weekends and cleaning it and hauling it out for a couple necessary things. Then when my rental lease on land was up, I moved aboard, as planned.

I had to sell all my old furniture that roommates were sharing and using. And I had to sell a few surfboards that wouldn't fit in the aft bunk, and I had to put my expensive bed/bedframe in my moms garage 400 miles away, and buy a bunch of big plastic bins to store my clothes in. It's been totally worth it all.
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-16-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Took 6 months both times.

First time I decided to take a break when I was in my early 40s. Had the usual 'stuff' house car toys etc.

Second time was when I retired again with all the usual 'stuff' house car toys etc. It took 6 months again.
Old 07-16-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

I did it in phases -

1) decide to buy boat and save money to buy it in cash - 5 years - I did buy half of a Catalina 27 and sail it 100+ days a year during this phase. Lived on it weekends.
2) buy the boat, sell everything except house, and move aboard - 1 year
3) rent out house for 2 years, then decide to sell it - 2 years
4) sell the house - 1 day (your mileage may vary)

My original plan was to keep the house as a rental property long-term. It was reading horror stories of other cruisers on this site and blogs that changed my mind.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-16-2013

Ruby Vee is on a distinguished road

Still living on land, fixing up the boat. Our target date for moving aboard coincides with the child's college graduation and my husband's retirement. So from the moment we first discussed living aboard to actually moving on board . . . about 19 years. We have about 14 months to go.
Old 07-16-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

For me, living aboard took about 20 minutes - it's something I always wanted to do, and planned for many, many, many years to travel down the ICW to the Florida Keys and live aboard for at least one winter before returning north to the Chesapeake's upper reaches and home. After six months living aboard, I found there were a few drawback, but mostly pluses. The only problem I have is I'm still married to the same woman I married more than a half-century ago and she wants no part of living on a boat of any kind. Now, at age 72 and damned near 73, there are some things that I physically can no longer do. Consequently, had I been a liveaboard for any length of time prior to this, the stark reality is there will come a time when you will have to move ashore again.

Now, I did run into a guy who I consider one of my many heroes - Captain Jack. About 30 years ago, Captain Jack sailed his 26-footer to the Florida Keys from Miami to spend a long weekend there. He never went back to Miami, other than to sell everything and move aboard the boat with his wife. She passed away several years ago, Jack purchased a larger boat, a 28-footer, and still lives aboard in Marathon's City Marina. Jack is 91 years old and still hitting on the ladies every chance he gets. He's a great guy, and I do miss him, along with all the other live aboards I bet there.

Captain Jack picked fresh flowers for all the ladies in the marina every morning. At one point I wondered if there would be any flowers left in the nearby park. Oh, and Jack rode his bicycle to the part to get the flowers, which was about a half mile away.

Cheers,

Gary
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Probably 30 years so far and another 10 to go........ I've been distracted. Hope the plan comes together.
CaribDream likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

In first year. Have "last" boat and doing final fitting out. Have prior boat on the market. Doing final renovations to the house. Sold one car and one m.c. two m.c.s and two cars to go. Start winding down business next year. Gone year after as wife then can get full retirement benefits. Seems three years is common if you are doing it at end of career.
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-16-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I was twelve years old when my parents said we were going to move aboard a boat. I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and living on a boat was not that rare so I was convinced and ready, but it never happened. The idea grew from there and when I was in college I kept a picture of the ideal liveaboard sailboat on my wall. I remember selling the idea to my girlfriend by sketching out the interior plan of a Dickerson 35 in the beach sand and we visited the Dickerson builders in Trappe, Maryland. One year after graduating from college we were married and bought our first liveaboard boat. Downsizing was not a problem because we were still living in rentals not much different from a college dorm room and all we owned could fit into one car. That was forty-two years ago and we still love our lives aboard and cruising.
CaribDream likes this.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Tags
live aboard sailing