SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   For those that moved from land to sea (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101387-those-moved-land-sea.html)

CaribDream 07-15-2013 12:00 PM

For those that moved from land to sea

For those that "sold it all", making a life change to live aboard - How long did it take you? I'm talking liquidation of your land-based accommodations and possessions, boat acquisition (if you didn't already have it), etc etc. We are talking timeframe from the moment you decided to live aboard to the point at which your permanent home was your boat and you were in your desired location. Also, what was your land-based life like?

xort 07-15-2013 12:31 PM

Thought it would take a year, it took 5. Altho credit at least 2 of those to the great recession. We were continuing to press on during that time, so figure 3 to 4.

poopdeckpappy 07-15-2013 01:28 PM

Re: For those that moved from land to sea

It took us ( actually me ) about 3 yrs to transfer, my wife was all in the moment I bought a little 26' Islander, it took me forever to realize I was the one holding on to the land items ( House, race bikes, cars, other toys ) but once I found the right boat, things moved fairly quick.

My land life was pretty normal ( I think ), I am a finish carpenter by trade, I was also a simi pro photographer since the early 70's and I work for the same Gen Contractor for 33 yrs; When I wasn't doing his estimating and/or Architectural photo stuff, I was doing finish work in commercial retail and custom homes, weekends were spent racing desert off-road or shooting off-road races for San Diego Off-road Magazine, Cycle News or for myself to sell.

Now, I manage a sailboat chartering office, occasionally do sailing lessons, do a little bit of carpentry work on boats, pick up the camera once in awhile but, mostly enjoying life aboard and sailing ( my boat ) when I can.

Was that TMI ?????

oceangirl 07-15-2013 01:47 PM

I was 19, it took a couple weeks of bumming around the coastal town till someone took pity on me and gave me a job and boat to live on. It was a brokerage house who let me live aboard any of the boats ( repo boats) as long as I cleaned them up and made them presentable for sale. It was a win win situation, the brokerage had someone to look after their rather vagabond fleet, and make the vessels more sellable, and I got to learn about and play on boats.:)
For my husband, he decided in his early 30s. It took him 10 years to be aboard. He could of gotten on board sooner, but he is a cash no debt kinda guy, which is pretty awesome.
Erika

CaribDream 07-15-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy:1059448
Was that TMI ?????

Not at all. I totally enjoy these stories. I'm taking them all as a brainstorming session to figure out my own predicament.

CaribDream 07-15-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceangirl:1059464
I was 19, it took a couple weeks of bumming around the coastal town ...
Erika

19 wow! I checked out your blog. Very cool. I hope you are feeling better and wish you the best.

PBzeer 07-15-2013 03:29 PM

It took me 3 years from the time of decision to moving aboard.

capta 07-15-2013 05:57 PM

It took me about 2.5 hours. I was living in a room above a bar in Sausalito, Ca going to high school and parking cars for a restaurant at night, when I was offered a berth aboard the schooner Wanderer, a 130' gaff schooner.
Basically, since 1969 I have lived aboard a myriad of vessels; sailing boats, freighters, fishing boats, tugs and motor yachts, with less than a year living ashore. All I had was a couple of duffel bags, my foulies and navigation gear for many years.
My sailing partner was going to school for radiology, a professional equestrian and living with her mom, when we met, and she was bound for the Caribbean via Bermuda within a month of that meeting, never having sailed before.
I feel very fortunate that I was able to turn my love of the briny into a career that allowed me to travel the world, experience great adventures and mess about in boats, often on someone else's nickle.
Kenneth Grahame: 'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing ... nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Tim R. 07-15-2013 06:56 PM

10 months. Renovated and sold the house and contents, sold the boat and found/bought new boat, moved aboard.

Made the decision in Jan. and moved aboard Oct of same year. I had my own consulting business at the time and I did not take any jobs for 3 months so I could finish renovating the house. The boat sold to the first looker and the house sould in six weeks. We actually made the offer on the boat the same day we settled the house sail. Lived with some friends for a couple months while we slowly moved aboard.

wingNwing 07-15-2013 10:25 PM

About three years. We both had good professional jobs, non-transferrable, in Michigan where the water freezes in winter so year-round living aboard was not an option while working there. And we were too close to retirement pensions for quitting to be a realistic option. When a transfer to headquarters (Washington DC area) became available, we were ON it. We already had the boat; had it trucked to Annapolis and sold the house in 2 months. Lived aboard at a marina until retirement kicked in. Hung up the phone from my last teleconference and untied the docklines an hour later.