Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
For those that moved from land to sea

For those that "sold it all", making a life change to live aboard - How long did it take you? I'm talking liquidation of your land-based accommodations and possessions, boat acquisition (if you didn't already have it), etc etc. We are talking timeframe from the moment you decided to live aboard to the point at which your permanent home was your boat and you were in your desired location. Also, what was your land-based life like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Thought it would take a year, it took 5. Altho credit at least 2 of those to the great recession. We were continuing to press on during that time, so figure 3 to 4.
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Re: For those that moved from land to sea

It took us ( actually me ) about 3 yrs to transfer, my wife was all in the moment I bought a little 26' Islander, it took me forever to realize I was the one holding on to the land items ( House, race bikes, cars, other toys ) but once I found the right boat, things moved fairly quick.

My land life was pretty normal ( I think ), I am a finish carpenter by trade, I was also a simi pro photographer since the early 70's and I work for the same Gen Contractor for 33 yrs; When I wasn't doing his estimating and/or Architectural photo stuff, I was doing finish work in commercial retail and custom homes, weekends were spent racing desert off-road or shooting off-road races for San Diego Off-road Magazine, Cycle News or for myself to sell.

Now, I manage a sailboat chartering office, occasionally do sailing lessons, do a little bit of carpentry work on boats, pick up the camera once in awhile but, mostly enjoying life aboard and sailing ( my boat ) when I can.

Was that TMI ?????
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

I was 19, it took a couple weeks of bumming around the coastal town till someone took pity on me and gave me a job and boat to live on. It was a brokerage house who let me live aboard any of the boats ( repo boats) as long as I cleaned them up and made them presentable for sale. It was a win win situation, the brokerage had someone to look after their rather vagabond fleet, and make the vessels more sellable, and I got to learn about and play on boats.
For my husband, he decided in his early 30s. It took him 10 years to be aboard. He could of gotten on board sooner, but he is a cash no debt kinda guy, which is pretty awesome.
Erika
CaribDream likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy:1059448
Was that TMI ?????
Not at all. I totally enjoy these stories. I'm taking them all as a brainstorming session to figure out my own predicament.

Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl:1059464
I was 19, it took a couple weeks of bumming around the coastal town ...
Erika
19 wow! I checked out your blog. Very cool. I hope you are feeling better and wish you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaribDream For This Useful Post:
oceangirl (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

It took me 3 years from the time of decision to moving aboard.
CaribDream likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-15-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

It took me about 2.5 hours. I was living in a room above a bar in Sausalito, Ca going to high school and parking cars for a restaurant at night, when I was offered a berth aboard the schooner Wanderer, a 130' gaff schooner.
Basically, since 1969 I have lived aboard a myriad of vessels; sailing boats, freighters, fishing boats, tugs and motor yachts, with less than a year living ashore. All I had was a couple of duffel bags, my foulies and navigation gear for many years.
My sailing partner was going to school for radiology, a professional equestrian and living with her mom, when we met, and she was bound for the Caribbean via Bermuda within a month of that meeting, never having sailed before.
I feel very fortunate that I was able to turn my love of the briny into a career that allowed me to travel the world, experience great adventures and mess about in boats, often on someone else's nickle.
Kenneth Grahame: 'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing ... nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
CaribDream likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

10 months. Renovated and sold the house and contents, sold the boat and found/bought new boat, moved aboard.

Made the decision in Jan. and moved aboard Oct of same year. I had my own consulting business at the time and I did not take any jobs for 3 months so I could finish renovating the house. The boat sold to the first looker and the house sould in six weeks. We actually made the offer on the boat the same day we settled the house sail. Lived with some friends for a couple months while we slowly moved aboard.
kd3pc and CaribDream like this.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 07-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

About three years. We both had good professional jobs, non-transferrable, in Michigan where the water freezes in winter so year-round living aboard was not an option while working there. And we were too close to retirement pensions for quitting to be a realistic option. When a transfer to headquarters (Washington DC area) became available, we were ON it. We already had the boat; had it trucked to Annapolis and sold the house in 2 months. Lived aboard at a marina until retirement kicked in. Hung up the phone from my last teleconference and untied the docklines an hour later.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Tags
live aboard sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.