Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Docking for Dummies

There we go, tried uploading from my phone but didnt work...the red shows the slip I was in

This one shows the marina/slip with a catamaran at the pumpout...you can see our boat in the slip with dingy on the davit

And a closer look

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Capt Jack is a classic. I met him at the Annapolis Boat Show several years ago. Nice guy too. He has an entire docking DVD. You should grab a copy. He's right on.
I'll second Captain Jack Klang's DVD on docking ..... available at his web site
Old 07-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Shawn, your picture didn't come through.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

[quote=Alex W;1060345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post

You have the same problem that I do then.

When you are trying to turn you need to get the bow through the wind. The wind pushes excessively on the freeboard of the boat, and is overpowering the turning force that you can get with the rudder.

You can reduce the effects of prop walk by doing a big burst of reverse, then putting the engine back into idle/neutral. That does help the reverse slow speed turning of the boat. Or you can go out backwards, which I think does work better in many situations on our boat.
This sounds like a good plan, and was what the PO advised as well.

I believe where I went wrong was backing out too slow (nerves!) and not shifting to neutral before turning the boat into the wind (which would have minimized prop walk). I was caught off guard when I lost control of the bow and didn't have a good backup plan when the boat began to turn the wrong way. (I had a good backup plan for the wind blowing us back into the pilings, but not spinning us the wrong way. Nothing like improvising with little experience surrounded by your neighbor's boats to bring the heart rate up!)

I got the boat back in the slip and tried again, this time taking the advice of my neighbor to back out even more slowly. Of course, that didn't work either, and actually went far worse. In the end, it was just easier to stop fighting it and drive out backwards.

What I really need is a styrofoam slip in calm water to practice close quarter maneuvering - anyone know if there's something like that around Herring Bay?
Old 07-17-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Shawn, your picture didn't come through.
Fixed, sorry bout that

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-17-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I think you have gotten some good advise and have a handle on it. I also suggest Capt. Jack's books and videos as they are common sense and they work.
There will sometimes be wind situations that require you to spring out of the slip. However, many are nervous and just go to slow to get the boat to do what is needed. Speed is not always your friend (as in when you come in too fast and take a piece of the dock or boat out). At the same time, too slow means you have no control and are a drifting boat at the mercy of the wind. Push off the dock, put the rudder to a neutral position, and hard reverse until you have some way on. Shift into neutral, wheel hard over, and that beauty should spin around and you are on the way. Worst case, you have to hit forward to stop yourself, but it probably won't happen.
Old 07-17-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

If its any comfort, I recently observed a captain try to dock his beautiful Passport 44 in a fairly easy slip. He is not new to sailing, I think this is his third yacht. He claimed a fouled prop (likely from what we are seeing in the Chesapeake this year) but what I observed was poor judgement and bad approach. He end up being pushed by the breeze down the fairway to the bulkhead slips, then bumping off a few pilings and boats (no significant damage occurred to my knowledge other than a bow light) trying to go stern first into the slip. Ultimately he went out the fairway and decided to come into the slip bow first, after two attempts he made it with some help from a couple of us on the dock. It wasn't pretty, embarrassing perhaps, avoidable? Probably. Felt bad for the guy because the whole marina was watching.

On another note...recently we were in OBX and we went down to Oregon Inlet to see the catch come in from the big deep sea fishing boats. Damn, I was so impressed in how they maneuver these big sport fishing yachts. I have never seen anything like it, they back into these slips fast! I mean FAST!!! Yea sure, twin screws and HP make it a lot easier, but these guys are serious pros! The catch was impressive, their boat handling skills blew me away!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-17-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Speaking as the previous owner here, you will definitely get the hang of this

There's a good buoy that marks a crab pot free zone (I think) almost straight east from red #2. It's white, not too big and pretty forgiving. I think we might have run past it during our one sail.
glymroff, emcentar and jimgo like this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 07-17-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
On another note...recently we were in OBX and we went down to Oregon Inlet to see the catch come in from the big deep sea fishing boats. Damn, I was so impressed in how they maneuver these big sport fishing yachts. I have never seen anything like it, they back into these slips fast! I mean FAST!!! Yea sure, twin screws and HP make it a lot easier, but these guys are serious pros! The catch was impressive, their boat handling skills blew me away!
yeah, the fleet coming in at Oregon Inlet can be quite a show, alright... Those guys on the bridge, facing aft in Reverse Rodeo Cowboy-style, they're all trying to outdo each other in front of the crowd...

Funny, though - if you're at the Fishing Center in the off-season without the crowd of tourists gathered to watch, the whole show is much more tame... These guys are pros, after all, and subscribe a bit more to the theory that "Slow Is Pro", when no one is around to impress... :-)

I used to love stopping at the Fishing Center, really a pity that Oregon Inlet is no longer a viable route, at least for the foreseeable future...
Old 07-17-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We use this thingy

dockingstick.com - Home

It really does work well. Our dock is VERY low and big jumps were getting a bit hairy. So I added a cleat, painted it yellow (to make it obvious) and the admiral simply lassos the yellow cleat with dockstick with a line pre-sized to stop the boat before it could hit the dock. We used to lasso without the dockstick but the loop was pretty small. Dockstick just makes it much easier.