Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I've been looking at this indoor outdoor carpet. Kinda fun. Funky perhaps.
Teak Carpet
that does look pretty cool,

the sweet new boats in the club i rent from dont seem to have much in the way of carpet. the occasional rubber backed throw rug at the bottom of the companionway to wipe ones feet on is about it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

This thread has given us a lot of great ideas for what we can do in the future (and not do - i.e. Pergo!).

In the meantime, for a quick and temporary solution we went to Home Depot and spent 1/4 of a boat buck on some neutral colored indoor/outdoor carpet. During the off-season we can figure out what we really want.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Old 07-18-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If you want carpet on your boat, go to a "Roll End" store - WAY cheaper than any normal retailer. You generally only need small bits to carpet a boat.

$250 at a RE store would probably carpet a 75 footer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Mine was poorly (in my opinion) revarnished by a P.0. It's good from the 5 foot level, full of imperfections at the 2 foot level.
We are looking at a carpet but if so it's got to be custom fitting. I detest throw rugs as they will always get underfoot and slip at the least opportune time.
Even then, there are a lot of storage and access points in our sole - I have a hard time considering covering them.
Old 07-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Even then, there are a lot of storage and access points in our sole - I have a hard time considering covering them.
You raise a good point, one of my primary objections to carpets/coverings on cabin soles...

I think it is very important to easily monitor the status of your bilge at a glance, getting into the habit of doing so routinely is a hallmark of good seamanship. I have a large teak grate at the base of my companionway, so any water that shows up in my bilge will become apparent immediately... At the very least, a boat should have an easily accessed hatch over the bilge sump that can be lifted for inspection easily, and without any trouble...

Last boat I ran was a Hallberg-Rassy 43 that a carpet covering most of the sole thoughout the boat... in order to inspect the bilge, it required the entire companionway steps to be removed and set aside, a very tricky and awkward maneuver in a seaway, so that the carpet could be rolled up, and the hatch accessed... An INCREDIBLE PITA, a really piss-poor arrangement on a boat to be sailed offshore, and something rather shocking to see on a boat of such quality...
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Have the original varnished teak/ply. It looks nice and nautical when it's newly varnished but gets scratched up pretty quickly. Doesn't take long for it to look crappy. Foot traffic and gloss varnish are two incompatible ideas. I think a nice, BRIGHT vinyl would be more practical. Can't imagine having carpet on a boat.
Old 07-19-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Have the original varnished teak/ply. It looks nice and nautical when it's newly varnished but gets scratched up pretty quickly. Doesn't take long for it to look crappy. Foot traffic and gloss varnish are two incompatible ideas. I think a nice, BRIGHT vinyl would be more practical. Can't imagine having carpet on a boat.
I wouldn't do carpet either, too much maintenance. But everybody is different. We love gloss varnish on the teak and holly sole(like a few do). It's been 13 years since I stripped and coated the sole. The gloss turns to mat in a few years but overall, it's still pleasing. We don't have traction problems in shoes or bare feet.

But most of all, the varnish is doing its job, protecting the wood and keeping it stable(solid wood sole coated all around).

In another season or two, I'll get around to a little sanding a few new coats of spar varnish.
Seaduction likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-19-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

As I have been looking at boats I have seen a lot with some kind of carpet, and every single one that I was on and lifted the carpet to look under it, the sole needed attention. Also I just think that getting salt out of carpet would be something I would hate, I mean how many of you carry a large Kirby or Electrolux along on the boat, a shop vac maybe, and a small one at that, but something made to lift soil and salt and other stuff out of carpet?

Also I went on three boats in one day last month, one had carpet and it was very obvious a cat had lived on the boat, it smelled like a lion's den. The other two had teak and holly soles, one had a cat on it when I was on it and I did not smell anything out of the ordinary. Wood and pets = good, carpet and pets = bad.

Besides that wood is prettier.
Old 07-19-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

There is no doubt that wood is prettier. I wish that I had a beautiful wood cabin sole, but even with the amount of restoration that I've done over the last four years, I doubt that I will ever get around ot laying down that wood.

If I can find a soft indoor outdoor carpet that is removeable, that seems like a good solution. You could take it off the boat, hose and defumigate each season.

I've seen some edge-to-edge removeable carpet that stays in place because of its shape and has cutout areas that you can pull back for bilge and storage compartments.

Last edited by dvuyxx; 07-19-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
There is no doubt that wood is prettier. I wish that I had a beautiful wood cabin sole, but even with the amount of restoration that I've done over the last four years, I doubt that I will ever get around ot laying down that wood.

If I can find a soft indoor outdoor carpet that is removeable, that seems like a good solution. You could take it off the boat, hose and defumigate each season.

I've seen some edge-to-edge removeable carpet that stays in place because of its shape and has cutout areas that you can pull back for bilge and storage compartments.
I would think that you would be able to get it cut to size and shaped to fit, maybe someplace that does car upholstery could do it, also a rolled edge that is stitched would help a lot on keeping it in place and making it easier to clean. I know teak and holly are expensive, there are some alternatives that are not as much, but anything that goes on a boat is somehow worth more if they find out it is going on a boat haha.