Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

One of my favorite things is my saloon floor. I love thick fluffy soft rugs for tootsie luxury. Plus i love buying a souveneer from countries that I visit. So i have about 12 small rugs, runners and carpets. All are inexpensive and can be chucked away if they die. Rubber backed carpets die first!

From Egypt i negotiated a silk carpet down from $200 to $40 and it is as real as the virgins who wove it in an impoverished village in the mountains... But it is natural fibre and may be silk. Its pattern is traditional and its lovely, plus a lovely reminder of negotiating with that lot of crooks. Hint: always walk away three times and make the shop owner follow you out of the shop. They will never sell at a loss but always want the best price. They wont let a sale slip through.

Next great bits of carpet were from Turkey and we also got some great prayer coushins for $10. Definitly an authentic locals prayer goods shop and i doubt theyve ever seen a tourist before.

Other carpets have dolphins or fish, and some are just great fluffy $5 discounted On Sale bits that happen to fit.

It makes Sea Life more like home.
downeast450 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
It's painted marine grade plywood under the carpet, but it's pretty ratty looking. We'd need to sand it a bit and paint it.

I'm not a big fan of the carpet either, but I like how it feels in bare feet.
A couple years ago I did the interior floor of a 75' schooner Moonfleet in Tek Dek its synthetic or PVC strips with the black dividers, I laid it over sanded plywood. Follow the instructions, very easy, it's been standing up well and looks really sharp! I think it went in around 11. Or 12. Bucks a square foot. Put in some flush mount brass floor hatch pulls , I'm a carpenter so I was Leary about the choice of synthetic, I'm converted now, and glad I ordered enough for my own boat.
Make sure you get the right stuff Tek Dek from U.K. There are some knock offs out there not up to snuff.
Old 01-05-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

At the moment.. my boat does not have a cabin Sole.. it's missing most of it's interior as I get ready to redo it from stem to stern

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

On my old boat (Nash 26') I replaced the indoor/outdoor carpeting - which was always wet, gritty and slid around underfoot - with eucalyptus decking:

I got it at one of those liquidation places. I think I paid about $200.00 for the whole sole.

It worked out great: it looked really good; the plastic backing allowed for good drainage; once installed the sole didn't move around etc.

If my new boat didn't have a nice holly sole I would do the same on this boat.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-05-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

While waiting for the Teak & Holly I ordered to arrive I made up some temporary pieces out of pre-finished Oak Flooring. I kinda like it and it's tough as nails, had the same stuff by the front door of the house for 20 years. The Teak and Holly is all wrapped up in the dark basement (it is photosensitive) should I decide to go back.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you have on your cabin sole?-floor-3.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I know some of the posts I'm responding to are old. I missed them the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
Of course the primary reason for the beer cans in the floor is that collectively they act like a ballast tank.
Funny. It reminds me of a common practice on submarines and on some smaller surface warships. Canned goods are organized on the deckplates and light ply covers them up. You know how far you are through a deployment based on where the step down (or up) is from the area with cans remaining to the area already eaten through. The organization and planning for the layout is huge.

There aren't many boats with sufficient headroom to take this approach but it is interesting to think about. I've certainly stacked a couple of layers of cans in the limited floor space of the v-berth on more than one boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You raise a good point, one of my primary objections to carpets/coverings on cabin soles...

Last boat I ran was a Hallberg-Rassy 43 that a carpet covering most of the sole thoughout the boat... in order to inspect the bilge, it required the entire companionway steps to be removed and set aside, a very tricky and awkward maneuver in a seaway, so that the carpet could be rolled up, and the hatch accessed.
On a 43 you should be able to see the bilge in three places: pop two snaps forward and look through the access to the transducers, lift the access to the refrigeration compressor in the galley (no carpet there) and look inboard with a flashlight, and (best) pop two snaps where two pieces of carpet come together between the forward edge of the galley and aft edge of the salon table. There is an access plate there that allows you to see the deepest part of the bilge above the keel.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
While waiting for the Teak & Holly I ordered to arrive I made up some temporary pieces out of pre-finished Oak Flooring. I kinda like it and it's tough as nails, had the same stuff by the front door of the house for 20 years. The Teak and Holly is all wrapped up in the dark basement (it is photosensitive) should I decide to go back.
Make sure you maintain the finish on the oak - it will blacken if it gets wet.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-05-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Make sure you maintain the finish on the oak - it will blacken if it gets wet.
On the original veneer the Holly had turned black from exposure to sunlight, I couldn't figure out how to prevent that.
Old 01-05-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Indoor/ outdoor carpet (came With the boat). It's the most awfull stuff I've ever seen. You can lift the carpet up and there is like "white sand" under it. Once a week I can vacuum this stuff up. Pretty soon I'll have nothing but thread and have to do something.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 01-05-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2014

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

I've been looking at this: LONSEAL Flooring: LONWOOD MARINE. Teak and Holly but without the maintenance. Okay, not as nice as the real mccoy, but the samples I've looked at were pretty nice. Defender carries it at $36/linear foot (in 72" width). Good Old Boat did a feature on this stuff -- really looks nice. Currently, I just have a carpet runner going the length of the cabin sole. I bring it home at the end of the season and hit it with the steam cleaner to freshen it up. Works okay, but the T&H (even the fake stuff) would dress things up quite a bit. Anyone have any direct experience with this?
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~