SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   proof of paid sales tax (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101447-proof-paid-sales-tax.html)

michigancruisers 07-16-2013 10:42 PM

proof of paid sales tax

Saw this post on active captain regarding an anchorage in northern Michigan.

"the Conservation Officers who come around to your boat asking to see proof that you paid sales tax on your boat. And when you can't find the reciept for your sales tax payment, issue you a ticket. Quite an experience."

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

mad_machine 07-16-2013 11:12 PM

Re: proof of paid sales tax

news to me. I know here in NJ, you may sales tax when you put the boat in your name.

SlowButSteady 07-16-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1060286)
news to me. I know here in NJ, you may sales tax when you put the boat in your name.

Same thing (or at least similar) here in California. You pay the sales tax when you register the boat at the DMV. So, if the boat is registered the tax must have been paid.

Delirious 07-16-2013 11:42 PM

Same in NY. Documentation is great . . . but have the registration if the park police, state police or local sheriffs approach you.

tomandchris 07-16-2013 11:49 PM

Never heard of it, and have been boating in Michigan for more years than I care to admit. And yes, I do get stopped once in a while for PFD checks.

If you have a michigan registration, in your name, than you have satisfied the state that you paid the sales tax. Could be that the guy did not have the boat registered in his own name....that is a no no.

TakeFive 07-16-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigancruisers (Post 1060269)
Saw this post on active captain regarding an anchorage in northern Michigan.

"the Conservation Officers who come around to your boat asking to see proof that you paid sales tax on your boat. And when you can't find the reciept for your sales tax payment, issue you a ticket. Quite an experience."

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

I am not saying it's not true, but it sounds a little far-fetched. One of my concerns over crowd-sourced cruising data is the possibility of someone with an axe to grind revealing half-truths that don't fully address a situation, or even totally making stuff up. I know they try to screen the reviews on ActiveCaptain, but the sheer volume of material has to mean that something may slip through on occasion.

In this case, it would seem obvious that having a Michigan registration should prove that you paid sales tax. Documented boats don't display registration numbers, but they still have to be registered in most states (including Michigan, according to Google), and those registration papers and stickers need to stay with the boat. The claim that they want a "receipt for your sales tax payment" sounds a little fishy to me.

michigancruisers 07-17-2013 12:02 AM

the comment was about Outer Cove at Harbor Island. its near Drummond Island

Omatako 07-17-2013 03:22 AM

This may be way off the point but when cruising in many third world areas it is not uncommon for customs officials to stop by and ask for proof of ownership of stuff on your boat (electronics, etc)

The reason apparently is because there exists a cottage industry of locals importing stuff and selling it to passing boats to generate forex for themselves.

So if you're going out there be sure to have receipts for all your stuff

smurphny 07-17-2013 10:50 AM

The sales tax issue is with documented vessels which were never state-registered. Some people avoid paying sales tax by not registering in states that collect the tax during registration. If they go with federal documentation only, states have a hard time finding out about the sale. I registered my boat recently in Florida and needed to show proof that I had paid the sales tax in NY, where I purchased the boat. The 45 yr old boat had never been registered prior to two years ago when I did register it in NY and paid sales tax.

xort 07-17-2013 11:13 AM

The Tower of Babble