Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
Re: Trip planning

Jim,
We're almost finished outfitting our new Jenneau DS. We're leaving sometime next week (hopefully early) and this was our plan:
Day 1: Annapolis -Reedy Point
Day 2: Reedy Point - Cape May
Day 3: Cape May - AC
Day 4: AC - Sandy Hook

We just might see each other on this trip. Our tide vs. T-storm approach is in line with yours btw.
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Reedy Island is really not that bad and its well marked. Far wider than leaving Rock Hall.The R and G are on tall Day markers at the end of the jetty's. The channel is over 100 yards wide and carries 15 ft though it.

Its a pretty wide open anchorage and certainly better than spending time all night worried about the crowded anchorage in Chesapeake City ( BTW the current there is 2 knots also), I would do Delaware City before Chesapeake City as you also don't have to worry about the Canal the next day, but Reedy is the best alternative for the next day.

BTW the holding at Reedy is great/ What type anchors do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013

Also consider a simple kellet unless you have all chain when you anchor in any area of reversing tides. It will insure you don't get anchor rode wrap.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Dave, I agree, Delaware City was my choice. But James raises a good point about the head start Reedy would give me.

My anchor is, I believe, a Delta-style. I put a picture of it in my album, but can't figure put how to embed it fr my phone.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Are you traveling through the night? Since you first posted your schedule I can't help but think, based solely on my own tub of course, that Rock Hall to Delaware City or Reedy Point in one day (assuming daylight travel) is aggressive. It took someone I know with an IP35 8 hours to get to the Sassafras from RH.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Looks like 65 miles from Annapolis to the east entrance to the C&D. If everything goes perfect you can probably do it in a very long day. I think I'd be shooting for Chesapeake City (52mi from Annapolis so, still a long day but ends in an easy anchorage with a place to grab some grub and a beer and coffee in the morning).
jimgo likes this.
Old 07-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Donna, my plan was to not travel at night. My boat should go about the same speed as yours. According to Active Captain, it's something like 55 miles to Delaware City. I'll have to check the tidal flow through the canal; my hope would be to catch it as it was flowing out toward the Delaware.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-18-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
a place to grab some grub and a beer and coffee in the morning).
I admire a man who drinks beer AND coffee in the morning.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 07-18-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Donna, my plan was to not travel at night. My boat should go about the same speed as yours. According to Active Captain, it's something like 55 miles to Delaware City. I'll have to check the tidal flow through the canal; my hope would be to catch it as it was flowing out toward the Delaware.
I'd not "hope" to catch the tide as it flows toward Delaware, and from your previous posts, it is clear that you are more than hoping, but are planning to catch the tide. If you miss the tide, anchor (before or after the C&D) and wait for the tide. Otherwise you will be bucking a significant current.
jimgo likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Are you traveling through the night? Since you first posted your schedule I can't help but think, based solely on my own tub of course, that Rock Hall to Delaware City or Reedy Point in one day (assuming daylight travel) is aggressive. It took someone I know with an IP35 8 hours to get to the Sassafras from RH.
We sail that distance to the Sassarass many times for a just a weekend from Rock Creek to Anchor in Betterton or Turner Creek on the Sassafrass. It's only 25 miles. If we leave our slip by 10 we are usually swimming or dinghy riding by 3:30. We like going north to Worton, Still Pond, and Sassfrass as you can swim in nettle free water all summer. It's a 5 hour trip to Sassafrass, 4.25to Still Pond, 3.75 to Worton in normal stailing conditions making 5 knots. IP are slow sailing boats, but even 8 hours seems extra slow. Your boat isnt a slug and would have no problem doing it in 5-6 hours.

You must be aggressive when dealing with any trip involving the Delaware to Cape May and set yourself up as best possible for the 5.5 hour assist from the current heading down to Cape May (6.5 hours when heading back from Cape May to the C&D. This way you can take advantage of the current and do it efficiently .

Dave on Auspicious has a formulary for doing it in one shot from Worton which works, but may require overnighting.

Going 55 miles this time of year with 15 hours of light isn't really that aggressive. This really is not a sightseeing trip but one of transit. You keep your speed average at 5 knots by main/ motoring as James suggested.

If you leave Rock Hall at 7 AM you are safely anchored behind Reedy by 6 PM. Next day you leave at 6 AM and re in Cape Mt docked by 2 in the afternoon avoiding the Delaware Bay chop and or thunderstorms. Easy trip this way. Sleeping well, drinking well, no nights.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
jimgo (07-18-2013)