Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Trip planning

I love going at night. except I CAN'T SEE!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Donna, my plan was to not travel at night. My boat should go about the same speed as yours. According to Active Captain, it's something like 55 miles to Delaware City. I'll have to check the tidal flow through the canal; my hope would be to catch it as it was flowing out toward the Delaware.
Don't worry about the C&D current, it is what it is. You will get to either Delaware City or Reedy to set up the next day. First day of your trip will be the longest. 10-12 hours is not that long really. I agree with James about Reedy vs Delaware City. Save you 7 miles or an extra 1.5 hours the next day.

Last time when you I and planned this it was March/ April, with variable weather windows and fronts every 3 days. Delaware City was a good stop off point and protected. This time of year, predictable weather, no fronts, save the expense. I would opt for the one night anchor out at Reedy. Your anchor is fine, its good holding, protected from tanker wakes. It will be cooler Also.

Just as a frame of reference, we have done this over 15-20 times in our boat. The trick going to CApe May is to set yourself up for t he least time As possible on the Delaware River. Their are no real bailouts except for the Cohannesey. Get the Canal out of the way so you not have to deal with it the next day to Cape May, even if it means not hitting the Canal at optimal current times.

Also remember current does not equal tide. You need to concern yourself with current, not tide. They are related to an extent, but current is the important factor for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I love going at night. except I CAN'T SEE!
Now that's a problem

The Canal is lit up like a hi way at night, however the Delaware is completely a different story.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I like Chef's suggestion. I've not done the C&D in the darkness, but folks tell me that it is no big deal. I have done the Delaware in the dark - have to say that I'd rather not do it in the dark again, especially the bay entrance at Cape Henlopen.

Last month, I went the other way from what you are planning - Entered the Delaware Bay at Cape Henlopen right before slack water and rode the current all the way up the Delaware Bay, into the C&D and south to Poole's Island. Time it right and you can make 5-7 knots the whole way. Time it wrong and you'll make 2-3 knots.
chef2sail likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
I like Chef's suggestion. I've not done the C&D in the darkness, but folks tell me that it is no big deal. I have done the Delaware in the dark - have to say that I'd rather not do it in the dark again, especially the bay entrance at Cape Henlopen.

Last month, I went the other way from what you are planning - Entered the Delaware Bay at Cape Henlopen right before slack water and rode the current all the way up the Delaware Bay, into the C&D and south to Poole's Island. Time it right and you can make 5-7 knots the whole way. Time it wrong and you'll make 2-3 knots.
Exactly. Can usually go one hour before the tide changes as the current has slowed down big time ( that's why I advocate current as opposed to tide )

Going back up the Delaware (North) you get 6.5 hours pf current assist vs going South you get 5.5 hours.

Last year we left Cape May dock at 6 AM one hour before current change and shot up the Delaware, through the Canal and were chased in by a waterspout to our dock in 14.5 hours arriving at 8:30. Best time we had ever made ( worst greenhead flies though). We averaged 7.25 knots.

The Canal at night with the yellow arc lights looks like a strip mining operation.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-18-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

You got a couple mildly differing opinions. I figure that's probably a good thing. Use them when you plan. Know your distances (including all the intermediate distances . . so at 4PM you don't need to try to figure out how far it is from X to Y and whether you'll make it by nightfall) as well as your fall offs (for weather as well as darkness) fuel stops and the like. Look forward to your report afterward!
jimgo likes this.
Old 07-18-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Well I'd restate, to say I have a hard time at night. Yes the canal is like a Highway, but it's still very easy to mistake a barge with tug behind it pushing. Also, most barges are painted black! If you look up you see the bow lights.. and darkness behind them. if your looking from your line of sight 6-10 ft above the water; you may not even see something so large! things are very weird at night for the inexperienced. On Philly's water front anchorage it's strange too. you see lights at the Bow nothing but blackness, then stern lights. I can just imagine how the titanic bridge crew didn't see the iceberg.

I had a almost close encounter about 5 years. heading east on the CD.
We left real early and it was still dark, My son was asleep below, I'm all groggy but awake enough to get under way. Just like above, there was a Big Black BARGE! no noise because the tug was in the back. I just was lucky enough to have looked up and see the lights! Quick swing to starboard and watched the behemoth just go on by. I'm sure the tug crew never had a hint. Son comes up; "what's wrong" he asked; "Almost got run over by a barge" I said. He went down and back to sleep LOL
chef2sail likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 07-18-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Denise - this is why I like Chef's idea: do the C&D with the current in daylight, drop the hook off Reedy Island and wait for the next tide. Then weigh anchor with the current and ride it out to the cape in daylight.

P.S. Tide and tidal current are not the same. Time the trip considering tidal current vice tidal rise and fall (i.e. "Tides")

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Well I'd restate, to say I have a hard time at night. Yes the canal is like a Highway, but it's still very easy to mistake a barge with tug behind it pushing. Also, most barges are painted black! If you look up you see the bow lights.. and darkness behind them. if your looking from your line of sight 6-10 ft above the water; you may not even see something so large! things are very weird at night for the inexperienced. On Philly's water front anchorage it's strange too. you see lights at the Bow nothing but blackness, then stern lights. I can just imagine how the titanic bridge crew didn't see the iceberg.

I had a almost close encounter about 5 years. heading east on the CD.
We left real early and it was still dark, My son was asleep below, I'm all groggy but awake enough to get under way. Just like above, there was a Big Black BARGE! no noise because the tug was in the back. I just was lucky enough to have looked up and see the lights! Quick swing to starboard and watched the behemoth just go on by. I'm sure the tug crew never had a hint. Son comes up; "what's wrong" he asked; "Almost got run over by a barge" I said. He went down and back to sleep LOL
Ha. .we had a similar experience with a barge in the Canal. Hard to see the lights. I stay to the side and also monitor Boat Beacon, a real time AIS app.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Perhaps this diagram will be helpful... Shows the disparity between the ability to ride the flood up the Bay, as opposed to riding the ebb down, and the difficulty of carrying a fair current in a boat of your speed from the east end of the canal, too much beyond Miah Maull Shoal...

jimgo likes this.