Need answer to something I've always Wondered About - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Need answer to something I've always Wondered About

Anyone ever tried adding a one way valve to make a "regulator" of sorts? Utilize two tubes, one a supply and one an exhaust?
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

3' is the standard answer to the OP's question. As mentioned previously, your lungs simply aren't powerful enough to draw air from a snorkel deeper than that.
Old 07-18-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
Anyone ever tried adding a one way valve to make a "regulator" of sorts? Utilize two tubes, one a supply and one an exhaust?
I seem to recall seeing something like that once. But it doesn't get around the pressure problem. As Fst said, 3ft (1m) is probably the realistic max. Even then, middle-aged/older folks, with less elastic connective tissues, might find lung collapse a real risk.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-18-2013
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road

Even just a few feet below the surface your diaphragm can't expand your lungs against the water pressure. Sucking from a tube and exhaling elsewhere won't work very deep. Back to that three foot limit.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-18-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow1193 View Post
At what point (length) would a snorkel type tube become ineffective?

Steve
Great question!

There are a few considerations here. First, is resistance and strength of your breathing muscles (of which the diaphragm is only one). Clearly 1' of 1" tube is not too much resistance because that's what a snorkel is. You could calculate how much resistance that is, and create a longer, but larger diameter tube. I imagine your breathing muscles would have no problem sucking air through a 6' tube if it were, say, 6" diameter. But that leads us to the bigger problem...

A standard snorkel doesn't hold much air in it's tube. When you breath in your second breath through a snorkel, the first part of what you breathe in is your own used air in the tube. Used air has too much CO2, which you're trying to get rid of. Keep re-breathing the same air, and pretty soon you've used up all the O2 and your getting other problems from accumulating CO2.

Lucky for you, when you inhale your own used air in your snorkel, it's only a small percentage of what you breathe in that breath. In the 6"diameter 6'long tube mentioned above, you'd be breathing in and re-breathing your own air because when you exhale your entire lungful of used air would remain in the tube. That's part of why scuba regulators have a flapper valve that sends the exhaled air in another direction. Snorkels don't have this feature. But they do have a purge valve....

WARNING: This is where Medsailor should have stopped his post.

What if you put a standard one way valve on the top of your snorkel. Something like this:

Then attach your large diameter (read low resistance) tube to the top of this. What you would do is draw in air through the low resistance tube, then the one way valve, then the snorkel. When you exhale, the one way valve would stop the air, forcing it out the purge valve at the bottom of the snorkel.

Crazy? Probably. Dangerous? No, not if you test it in your living room first and don't go deep with it. Is it the most hair-brained-hacked-together-improvised-idea-ever? Not by a long stretch! The famous improviser Bernard Motessier created, and successfully used a system of multiple tubes and upturned and submerged buckets that makes my idea look like a commercial pearl diver's hookah.

His system can be found on page 167 of Sailing to the Reefs. Sailing to the Reefs - Google Books

MedSailor

P.S. From a medical prospective, I can assure you you can't collapse your lung from sucking too hard. If you could there would be a whole lot of.... um... well... oh never mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 07-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2013
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road

But if your check-valved tube leaks or otherwise takes in water how do you clear it?

You can do a minute underwater snorkling - more with practice. I find that sufficient for casual boat work, clearing tangles and inspections.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-18-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
But if your check-valved tube leaks or otherwise takes in water how do you clear it?
Surface. (verb)

We're only talking about 6 feet here and we're all boaters right? We know how to make hose connections pretty darn leak-proof. There are MANY below the waterline connections that I'm currently betting my boat on every day.

MedSailor

Old 07-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
For what it's worth, I'm also told that you should not attempt to pressurize a snorkel with a regular compressor because the air always has some atomized oil in it
What is a "regular" compressor? There are oil-lubricated compressors and there are oilless compressors. Both can be used in a hookah rig, although you would need to use a special oil in an oil-lubricated model (and honestly, at the recreational & light commercial level, I don't know why anybody would attempt it.) There is nothing "special" about the compressors used in hookahs. Every commercially available, recreational level hookah is built around an air compressor that was originally designed for another purpose.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 07-19-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

The reality is that the standard length of a snorkel is the max a normal human can breath underwater.
Even a 1' extension will not work. No amount of valves will change that without pressurizing the air. Snorkels are pretty uniform in length for a reason. There are no extra long snorkels available for the macho man (or woman).
Old 07-19-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
The reality is that the standard length of a snorkel is the max a normal human can breath underwater.
Even a 1' extension will not work. No amount of valves will change that without pressurizing the air. Snorkels are pretty uniform in length for a reason. There are no extra long snorkels available for the macho man (or woman).
Naaaaaaaw! Not true! Maybe you're weeny lungs. The reason they're the standard length they are is because the human head is a pretty standard size and that's all the length you need to clear the surface.

Even if it were true that 1 foot of 1" tube was all you could do, you could calculate how much resistance that is, and increase your diameter (ie lower the resistance) in order to compensate for your increased length.

Medsailor