SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need answer to something I've always Wondered About (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101536-need-answer-something-ive-always-wondered-about.html)

minnow1193 07-18-2013 08:58 PM

Need answer to something I've always Wondered About

I know a lot of people have someone dive to clean their hulls. Others will snorkel, or just dive under with nothing.

At what point (length) would a snorkel type tube become ineffective? Meaning, if one were to adapt a length of hose to breathe through while under water, how deep could you go before the air in the tube doesn't refresh itself and you start breathing the same air you just exhaled?

Not thinking of trying this, my boat is on a trailer, just always wondered. Any divers out there to help me out?

Thanks

Steve

poopdeckpappy 07-18-2013 09:07 PM

Re: Need answer to something I've always Wondered About

3' came to mind but don't ask why, it just did

Tim R. 07-18-2013 09:09 PM

Not gonna work. Your lungs are not strong enough to suck air very far under anyway. Needs to be pressurized. That is why people use hookahs.

poopdeckpappy 07-18-2013 09:21 PM

That's it, the diaphragm isn't strong enough to overcome the pressure

joelsanda 07-18-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnow1193 (Post 1061429)
At what point (length) would a snorkel type tube become ineffective? Meaning, if one were to adapt a length of hose to breathe through while under water, how deep could you go before the air in the tube doesn't refresh itself and you start breathing the same air you just exhaled?

I've read a half meter is the maximum length - so nothing deeper than two feet. It has to do with the water pressure and CO2 in snorkel. You cannot exhale with enough force to blow the CO2 out before you have to breath in, due to water pressure and the strength of the diaphragm.

ScubaBoard has a small discussion on this.

SlowButSteady 07-18-2013 09:52 PM

There is also the danger that you could collapse a lung trying to suck on a long enough snorkel.

minnow1193 07-18-2013 10:20 PM

Slow, that sounded a little dirty.....lmao!

Mostly was just wondering what depth. Consensus is two feet max?

Tim R. 07-18-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnow1193 (Post 1061467)
Slow, that sounded a little dirty.....lmao!

Mostly was just wondering what depth. Consensus is two feet max?

Maybe 2 ft under optimum conditions. Add the effort of bottom scrubbing and you will be back to the surface quick to get some easy breathing.

Quickstep192 07-18-2013 10:40 PM

I had always thought the length of a standard snorkel was the maximum practical length. For what it's worth, I'm also told that you should not attempt to pressurize a snorkel with a regular compressor because the air always has some atomized oil in it

SchockT 07-18-2013 11:03 PM

2 feet sounds pretty conservative. The real problem is air volume. The exhaled air never makes it out of the snorkel, so you re-breathe it until there is too much co2. That is why children should not use adult snorkels; they have a larger volume than their small lungs can purge.

I suspect that if you were inhaling through the snorkel and exhaling into the water instead of back into the snorkel you could probably go a little deeper than 2 ft.