Cruising permit in Canada? - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2004 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Cruising permit in Canada?

Hello there !

We are planning to cruise Canda and wonder if we need a cruising permit for Canada. Also how long can we stay in Canada before we have to pay import duty and local GST?(Our boat is French registered). I understand that this is 12 months in the USA and 6 in Canada which seems quite short. Thanks for you help
cdv43320 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 12-19-2004
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Cruising permit in Canada?

Yopu need to contact Canada Border Services Agency
miyagi is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 3 Old 12-20-2004
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Cruising permit in Canada?

Customs regulations require foreign pleasure craft to report to the nearest Customs Office on first arrival in Canada to file an Inward Report. The vessel is given a Cruising Permit Form E-99, which covers the vessel''s movements within Canadian waters. Surplus bonded stores, if any, are placed and remain under seal during this period. The permit is to be surrendered to customs at the time of departure for a foreign home port.

It is permissible to purchase, "in bond", spirits, beer, cigarettes and tobacco in reasonable quantities, which also are placed and remain under seal until the vessel reaches international waters after final Customs clearance. For detailed Customs information contact 1-888-CANPASS (226-7277) or Customs Border Services.

From the Canada Border Services Agency - CBSA :

RC434 - Coming to Canada by Small Aircraft or Recreational Boat

Telephone Reporting - Recreational Boaters
When private pleasure boats enter Canada, they report to customs by telephone. Private boaters must dock at an approved marine telephone reporting site in Canada and call the telephone reporting centre (TRC) immediately on arrival.
Commercial vessels entering Canada cannot use this method of reporting.
How does it work?
The boat''s master has to contact the TRC immediately on docking in Canada by calling 1-888-226-7277. If the 1-888 service is not available, boaters can call the normal business number for the appropriate TRC. However, long-distance charges may apply. The telephone numbers for the TRCs are as follows:
Lansdowne: (613) 659-4576
Hamilton: (905) 679-2073
Windsor: (519) 967-4320
Victoria: (250) 363-0222
GordMay is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising beginner Seanmc Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 7 09-01-2014 10:13 AM
My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life ChrisJuricich Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 62 02-03-2011 01:46 PM
Message in a bottle Stede Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 65 04-15-2007 01:40 PM
Cruising to Canada Nereus32 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 7 05-06-2004 08:16 AM
Bitchin Pardey Cruising Day rogerhjonesjr General Discussion (sailing related) 0 02-09-2004 12:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome