Did I make a mistake in reporting a claim to BoatUS? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Did I make a mistake in reporting a claim to BoatUS?

Very interesting how this all played out. Please keep us updated if things seem to go sour. I have not really had any experience with boat insurance and especially not claims. I would have been just as surprised as you with their request.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Looking the photos Gad... it's not even that bad! unless OP is not showing the whole picture.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwindward View Post
It is hard for me to fully express how upsetting to me the lapse of seamanship that caused the accident is. I don't know how it could be more personally embarrassing. It wasn't a case of my lack of knowledge or mistaken judgment; I just screwed up and bad things happened.

I hit a navigational buoy.

There. Let mocking and disapproving consternation begin. I deserve it. I can't think of anything that's a bigger screw up on the water than to hit a huge red steel navigational aid that's designed to prevent you from hitting things.

There's a bit more to it than that...
No mocking from here. I was on a sailboat where the auto pilot steered us right into a nav buoy far from land on a clear beautiful day. The only difference was the buoy we hit was big, metal and green!

You are not the first and certainly won't be the last person to do this. As more people rely on auto pilots hooked up with their chart plotters this is bound to happen over and over. Those nav buoys seem to be constructed to survive a casual collision with commercial shipping like tug boats and barges.

I am glad to hear that BoatUS has been willing to work with you. If you avoided a "CTL" situation you are probably fine.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Looking the photos Gad... it's not even that bad! unless OP is not showing the whole picture.
Nope, that's pretty much it.

But the scariest part doesn't really show up well: the hull-to-deck joint damage.

The main thing that makes it expensive even though there's no hole is that basically it doesn't matter if it's holed or not. The impact caused local delamination, and so basically the entire idea has to be ground out until it's past the delamination. Obviously the glass is thick there, so with appropriate chamfering/beveling, it ends up being a good amount of glass to redo.

Additionally, the location complicates things; they make a mold so that everything comes out nice, but that's obviously harder on the stem than some arbitrary flat spot somewhere else.

So it comes out to a few days of work, but when you're paying a professional to do it, that's a good chunk of change. And I don't mind that, because there's no way I'd be able to tackle something like that in just a few days.
Old 08-04-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road

The repair is already mostly done! See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Did I make a mistake in reporting a claim to BoatUS?-midrepair.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwindward View Post
The repair is already mostly done! See attached photo.
Looks great! Paint it a different color so you don't have to worry about pesky color matching. Something like shark teeth....
MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 08-04-2013 at 06:55 PM.