Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013

dennismenace111 is on a distinguished road
Southbound in the ditch

Ive got a buddy asking me to help him bring his 30' Hunter all the way down from the DC area to Miami... for planning purposes and not dawdling on the way, how long would a trip like that take? Ive got 2 weeks vacation coming but I doubt I could do that entire trip in 2 weeks... any thoughts from those of you that have made the trip?
That "rope", now a "halyard" holds strong, taught and fast.
Then sailing in brisk winds full force on a beat.
The sails are trimmed in by that "rope" that's a "sheet".
And now at my anchorage with sails safely stowed,
I trust in that "rope" that now serves as a "rode".
Through all my life I will never lose hope,
Of a reason or time to play with a rope.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Southbound in the ditch

REalistically, you're going about 1200 miles. If you're doing the ICW, at 5-6 knots, 50 miles is a good day. Depending on when you're going, you're going to run out of daylight to do more. Figure 25-30 underway days if you anchor every night. If you're going offshore and can count on 125 miles per day running 24 hours and the weather is perfect maybe maybe you can do it in 2 weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-20-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

23.71 days. Don't forget the ICW miles are statute miles. Could be 21.25 days, assuming 8 hour days of course, but depending on the time you leave in order to maximize the push from currents as you go steaming by the inlets. But, if you break down and need a tow and repairs..... (oh gosh, there are to many ifs here....)

Last edited by Seaduction; 07-20-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Adding a touch of reality.
Old 07-20-2013

glymroff is on a distinguished road

i did the trip. not sure about the hunter. but, realistically your going to avg about 30-35 miles a day on the inside.

people talk of 50 miles a day, but i'd say if your going to anchor, and arrive at a suitable anchorage an hour+ before sunset (so you have time for an alt). 50 is tough. doable yes, but probably not.

plan for shorter days. if you get a string of weeks doing 50 great!

1200/50 = 25
1200/30 = 40
1200/35 = 34ish

that's not including the day or so for weather included...

if you've only got 2 weeks, i'd opt for helping him on the jumps outside. as stated that cuts your time down. however, be prepared to hang out on the hook waiting for the weather to make the jump(s).

also, i'd get on board at charleston, or further south... warmer :-)

let us know your progress... i'm doing the same again in mid-Oct.

luck to you
blowinstink likes this.
Old 07-20-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We save time by going offshore overnight beaufort nc to charleston and offshore one night charleston to fernandina. Last trip south was all motor in flat calm. Ran into charleston for fuel and right back out to fernandina.
This was a few weeks after sandy. During sandy...hunkered down inland for a whole week.

First rule of cruising...a schedule is the most dangerous thing to have on a cruising boat

It could very well take 5 days from dc to norfolk
Old 07-21-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

All sarcasm aside, I made the ICW trip from Rock Hall, MD to Melbourne, FL (total of 1082 statute miles) in 23 days. I left Rock Hall on June 7th and arrived in Melbourne on June 29th. I did spend 2 1/2 days in Jekyll Island for repairs, so roughly 20 days enroute. I motored at 6K or 7mph, sometimes motor-sailing with the genoa where possible. Spent nearly every night at a marina along the way. It was not a 'smell the roses' trip, but a relocation upon retirement trip.
Old 07-21-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

2 weeks is tight for sure. Jumping offshore would save time, but if you are pressed for time you may end up going out when you should not. You can run the ICW at night and the advantage is the bridges open on demand after 7 for the most part. I like running the ICW at night as you can see lit markers way off. This is what gets people in trouble though is pushing for time and because of that they make bad decisions about weather and such.

Old 07-21-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I've made the run south in late May and because days are longer at that time of year I was able to make a few runs in daylight of 80 miles in a sailboat. Other than weather, the biggest problem in makeing mileage are bridge schedules. Going offshore at Beaufort, NC can cut down the time if willing to sail 24/7 provided good weather and avoidance of Frying Pan shoals.
Old 07-21-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
All sarcasm aside, ---
What!? I was about to argue with you and say that the trip should take 22.68 days. Darn.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 07-22-2013
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

We've done a dozen trips on the ICW over the last 15 years (6 up, 6 down) and have a lot of tips to share here.

Having a schedule is ALWAYS a bad idea. Too many ifs. If the weather is bad, if you run aground, if the boat breaks. If you get your buddy halfway there and have to abandon him, it probably wouldn't be fair to him, unless he has enough experience that can single hand.

First time down the ICW as a single hander is not wise. It's hard to watch the waterway and the charts at the same time, its hard to anchor an pull up the anchor by yourself, and the worst? If you've got to poop, you've got to drop the anchor or use a bucket. It's possible to single hand down the ICW - many have done it - but by yourself the first time is a dubious venture.

Maybe a second crew mate to meet partway down?

Also - don't leave to late - mid October is best.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Last edited by LarryandSusanMacDonald; 07-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.