Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013

PacificSalt is on a distinguished road
MOB device

When I bought my boat, the previous owner wanted to keep the Jim Bouy throwable PFD. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time...I just bought a cheap throwable boat cushion to satisfy the coast guard requirement until I found a suitable replacement. A few weekends ago a series of events happened that almost dumped me overboard! We were sailing along in about 15 mph winds when I noticed the dock fender had slipped over the side of the boat. We were heeled over pretty good and I was on the high side of the boat when I stepped up on the cockpit seat to stretch out to grab the fender line and flip it back in the boat. Just as I was turning around to step down the boat hit a wave and a wind gust simultaneously. Needless to say this challenged my balance more than I could compensate and down I went. I landed in the cockpit floor struggling to find something to grab ahold of to stop the momentum from carrying me over the starboard side. Thankful I found something (still not sure what I grabbed...maybe a line or stanchion) that stopped my overboard trajectory path ....many lessons learned here! My wife and son did not know that I had a throwable device on board...it was stored in the port locker! If I had gone overboard, reuniting myself with the boat would have been extremely difficult as both her and my son are little more than novice sailors. I have since elevated the priority for a MOB device. On my internet searches I came across a brand new to market product .... http://www.life-safer.com/specifications.php ... looks like a vast improvement to the life rings and horseshoes. Found a great deal on ebay for one! I'll write a review of the product once I receive it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: MOB device

Glad you're ok. Has your heart stopped racing yet?

Do you have a harness to wear next time you leave the cockpit?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I like the cheap, square, throw-able cushions; lots of them. They are useful around the cockpit and deck as cushions, but if someone were to go over (it's never happened in over 50 years of sailing, worldwide) I think it important to get as many things that will float into the water as possible.
Kinda like marking your trail in the woods, making it easier to follow back to the person in the water.
It's a hold-over from pre-GPS MOB buttons, but still a good idea.
Old 07-20-2013

Yep that got my heart racing a bit ! Thing is it all happened very quick. I didn't see a need for a harness that day because the conditions weren't that rough. I think the primary thing that led up to the accident was not making sure I was holding on to something such as the life lines...a little over confident. Second mistake which fortunately had no repercussions was my wife and son have never had any briefing or training on how to deal with MOB situations. Funny how I've never considered the risk of being the one overboard and how that an inexperienced crew would react in that situation. After the incident happened I tried to play it off as if I wasn't in any danger so my wife wouldn't get upset...later that night I had a talk with her and noted what she should do in the chance we were ever in that situation. I've been sailing quite a few years so this was not just a newby mistake which brings us to the next lesson...could happen to anyone regardless of experience.
Old 07-20-2013

"One hand for the ship, one hand for yourself." Learned the truth of that one, bouncing around in a winter storm in the North Atlantic back in my Navy days.

Have you done MOB drill with the family? Maybe make a game of it, throw someone's hat over. Is your son old enough to take the helm? Something to try on a slow day, with no hurry. You could practice Capta's "breadcrumb" idea, too.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by manatee; 07-20-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2013

Thanks for the suggestions Manatee! I think some practice MOB drills are definitely in our future
Old 07-20-2013

Have fun!

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 07-23-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

It is really good everything turned out OK for you and it was just a scary lesson learned. This reminds me of a story not too long ago of a couple in which the husband went overboard and the wife did not know how to turn the boat around. The story did not end well. In the diving community I'm involved in, we practice drills routinely because, more than likely, there is probably more than one thing going badly if someone ever needs help. MOB drills should become almost as routine as the safety briefing. Ya'll do these, too, right? Someone told me that a MOB for 45 minutes in the Pacific where I sail has essentially a zero chance of making it back on board. I never want to test that.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 07-23-2013

Definitely next time we are out sailing I am concentrating on getting the wife comfortable handling the boat. This was a huge wake up call to say the least.