Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Picture of the "captain"

Looks like he likes to party a bit heavy. But I do find the text from the NY Daily News to be a bit strange(but that is normal for the Daily):
Quote:
The skipper of the 19-foot Stingray bowrider ó Jojo John, 35, of Nyack, N.Y., a banker at JPMorgan óhas been charged with vehicular manslaughter and vehicular assault. Cops say he was intoxicated.

Read more: Hudson River speedboat crash: Body of would-be best man found; skipper, charged with manslaughter, has drug priors - NY Daily News
Another article said they were waiting on the blood tests before charging with BWI. I wonder what he really does at JPMorgan. Certanly a "Stingray 19" does not seem like the toy of a "banker" as he was described in one article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I wonder what he really does at JPMorgan. Certanly a "Stingray 19" does not seem like the toy of a "banker" as he was described in one article.
I wonder also. In another article it was stated he has a felony drug convection from 2010. Going back to my insurance days, you can't write a surety bond on a convicted felon. Being bondable is paramount at a bank, just sayin'.
Old 07-30-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I wonder also. In another article it was stated he has a felony drug convection from 2010. Going back to my insurance days, you can't write a surety bond on a convicted felon. Being bondable is paramount at a bank, just sayin'.
Yes, that was why I did not think the title "banker" was correct. but newspapers these days don't have anyone left on their staffs left to do any fact checking. Perhaps they have a secret felon training program, you know as they seem like they would make good executives some day, being that they have the same morals.

Do you have your boat in the water this season?
Old 07-30-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

The other night I was out for one of my midnight strolls down to the beautiful little waterfront park near my house. Normally at that time it is extremely quiet, but this time I could hear loud music and partying. I wandered down to the dock to see a couple of 20ish foot boats coming towards the boat ramp, lit up like christmas trees, music cranked, over loaded with drunks. They were coming back from watching the fireworks competition that happened a couple of hours before. Somebody backed a trailer down the launch, and one of the boats proceeded to drive straight onto the trailer while the party continued on board. He actually got himself onto the trailer pretty well, (much to my disappointment!) but his passengers all stumbled forward when the boat came to a sudden stop. They winched the boat a bit further onto the trailer and then hauled the boat up the ramp. Music still cranked, passengers oblivious! One guy decided it was time to get off the boat and tried to climb off just as the driver accelerated. I'm sure he has some road rash and bruises to show for that move!

I can only hope that at least the skipper was sober, but I doubt it very much! Sadly those yahoos were one of hundreds of boats just like that, out watching the fireworks on the water and then heading home at full throttle to show how cool they are! And not a single pfd to be seen.

It's a wonder there aren't more fatalities...
Hull#101
Old 08-05-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

OK, so I have an example where two sailboats at the same time wanted to put the fear of God into me this weekend. Yesterday was just beautiful out in the Puget Sound. Clipping along closed hauled nicely in 13 knots of wind (unique wind for the Sound in the Summer) and two sailboats decided that in all of the Puget Sound they wanted to cross my bow with little room to spare at the same time. We were on strd tack, one boat was on a port tack, and we were leeward of the second boat. Because they were coming from different directions I could not fall off one without hitting the other. A quick tack was also a bit close. So guess who had to de-power, yes me, jeeze, pissed me off. The port tack boat was close enough that we had a "nice" chat about Col-Regs as he flew by. A decent enough Canadian guy who called me on the radio to apologize. Funny enough, once we were docked he came into our marina as a guest. He came over to the boat to apologize again.

We now two new entries into our log book back page
Old 08-05-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

That's what sets sailors apart - generally. He made a mistake, he admitted it and apologised.
A POWER boat skipper more likely would never admit to a mistake and would probably add insult to injury by flipping you the bird. If he was even aware of your existence......
Usually you only see aggression from yachties when they are racing. The best thing then is to keep clear because some really do take it seriously if you stray across their course. A shout from you of "STARBOARD" could even be met with "P*** OFF WE ARE RACING" and in extreme cases a collision. I recently raced with just such a skipper and even though he was on port tack and I warned him of the other boat he deliberately side-swiped it despite it having right of way. The other boat was also racing but in a different division for smaller boats. Not nice. I probably won't crew for him again because he just takes it all too seriously. For him, every race is the America's Cup.
Old 08-05-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
OK, so I have an example where two sailboats at the same time wanted to put the fear of God into me this weekend. Yesterday was just beautiful out in the Puget Sound. Clipping along closed hauled nicely in 13 knots of wind (unique wind for the Sound in the Summer) and two sailboats decided that in all of the Puget Sound they wanted to cross my bow with little room to spare at the same time. We were on strd tack, one boat was on a port tack, and we were leeward of the second boat. Because they were coming from different directions I could not fall off one without hitting the other. A quick tack was also a bit close. So guess who had to de-power, yes me, jeeze, pissed me off. The port tack boat was close enough that we had a "nice" chat about Col-Regs as he flew by. A decent enough Canadian guy who called me on the radio to apologize. Funny enough, once we were docked he came into our marina as a guest. He came over to the boat to apologize again.

We now two new entries into our log book back page
Since he was Canadian, he would have said "sorry" even if it was your fault so that doesn't prove anything.

I'm not convinced - a Canadian would never do anything so rude - I think it MUST have been you - or that OTHER American boat.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-05-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
That's what sets sailors apart - generally. He made a mistake, he admitted it and apologised.
A POWER boat skipper more likely would never admit to a mistake and would probably add insult to injury by flipping you the bird. If he was even aware of your existence......
Usually you only see aggression from yachties when they are racing. The best thing then is to keep clear because some really do take it seriously if you stray across their course. A shout from you of "STARBOARD" could even be met with "P*** OFF WE ARE RACING" and in extreme cases a collision. I recently raced with just such a skipper and even though he was on port tack and I warned him of the other boat he deliberately side-swiped it despite it having right of way. The other boat was also racing but in a different division for smaller boats. Not nice. I probably won't crew for him again because he just takes it all too seriously. For him, every race is the America's Cup.
That's not taking it too seriously, that's just being an a$$hole. He should buy a coke smuggler - he'd feel much more at home in that world.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-06-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I was invited to join a group of racers for their friendly thursday night series. "Nothing serious, just some friendly buoy racing. Or so i was told. So, i take up the offer but am held up big time in traffic. i arrive at the dock too late to jump on a boat as crew and decide to watch from the club house. As the racing finishes up i hang by the crane to help lift the J24s out of the water. I back away as the first boats arrive with members of both crews in a shouting match of eff this and eff that. I stand back as another skipper sails in and joins the eff you chorus. By the time it was done there were more than a dozen pissed off people effing this and that while throwing the rule book at each other. Not what i signed up for! I got in my car and left. A day later the guy who had extended the offer called. We talked. He admitted that a few of the skippers and others take things a little more seriously than others. Yeah, I got that. Pass!!!! It's a beer can race, who needs that?
Old 08-06-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Since he was Canadian, he would have said "sorry" even if it was your fault so that doesn't prove anything.

I'm not convinced - a Canadian would never do anything so rude - I think it MUST have been you - or that OTHER American boat.
He did admit he was in the wrong. He had a heck of a run up Colvos Passage just prior to our incident. He was stuck in the middle of a club race and he spent a couple of hours avoiding very aggressive racers. He said he was a bit on edge from the experience when he happened by our boat.

He told me he was retired from the RCN after 30+ years, as an engineer. He joked that "he spent very little time in the bridge", my retort was "yup". We had a good laugh about it. I will certainly give wider berth to those light green RCN warships from now on

Really nice guy and a standup type fellow. I appreciate that.

Sea Squirrel still has an entry in my log book though.

Last edited by kellysails; 08-06-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.