Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
They are the living proof that 1/2 of all the people you meet have a lower than average IQ.
In the US, it is estimated the average IQ is between 93-97. When the IQ test was created, they set the average at 100. So much for survival of the fittest.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I have been around boats my entire long life. I believe that the problem is that you can teach people everything with the exception of common sense. Whether the owner/operator is in a powerboat, sailboat, or JetSki does not matter. Stupid is stupid!
There just happen to be a lot more powerboater and now JetSki's.

The axiom used to be that sail boat owners were cheap, and SeaRay owners were assholes. Now we have SeaDoo owners are morons. Guess I need to change my boat title to moronic cheap ******* that thankfully has some common sense!
When the shiny new sailboat pulls out of their slip without looking to see if the fairway is clear (and you are behind them) you will have to expand on your theory. The only time I have ever had to use my horn to get someones attention was that shiny new sailboat. He missed me, but flipped ME off...guess he didn't like the horn telling his friends that he was an idiot. Oh, he was also the dockmaster.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-22-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Guess that was a forbidden word, Interesting that it only got the second one.
Old 07-22-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
No need to wait for the bridge to open anymore, technically wasn't he a power boater post incident anyway? So the shoe fits so to speak
Technically he was a power boater at the time of the accident. Perhaps he only brings out his brains when he puts his sails up. He must have been full throttle at the time too, ouch. Funny how going as fast of a bicycle, looks really fast going into an accident. Dose look crazy, as he looks to be racing the other sailboat cutting him off but the other sailboat seems to see it happen so the slow down and veer off. Wonder it he was baiting him? did he not hear the warning horn?

The thing with power boaters is that it takes so little effort to run power boats, that people think you can drink and boat. Seems sailors have to do more to get the boat to move and that tends to keep them closer to being sober. But how often do you see the idiots doing stupid stuff in the power boats with a beer in there shirtless hand? And why are they always shirtless? Come on no one wants to see that hairy gut. The other thing is that, especially speed boats can just do more stupid stuff due to there speed. Like the a-hole who ran into an old concrete foundation that was 50 yards from the well marked channel killing most of his friends and himself. Full throttle at night just feet from the shore of a river, there is a Darwin award winner for sure.
Old 07-22-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We nearly got T-Boned by a 50 foot fast trawler yesterday. Cruising nicely in a parallel course about 300 feet away. Then it does a hard 90 degree turn right towards our midships and coming fast. He then slightly turns towards our stern but not very much. We had to fall off our nice upward tack to get more speed to get away. I had my hand on the starter button. It really scared the crap out of myself and my wife. It was a beautiful day out in the Sound, what was their damn hurry anyway. Sometimes I wonder if they think it's fun or something.

We now have the last page reserved in our log book to capture the boat names/desc of these idiots. I hope to see them in a marina someday. Maybe we should have reserved two pages in our log book.

The boat was "Serious Freedom" dark blue hull with a white flying bridge, 50 foot trawler.
Oh, and the captain had a mole on his forehead with two or three white hairs sticking out of it.
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by kellysails; 07-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
We nearly got T-Boned by a 50 foot fast trawler yesterday. Cruising nicely in a parallel course about 300 feet away. Then it does a hard 90 degree turn right towards our midships and coming fast. He then slightly turns towards our stern but not very much. We had to fall off our nice upward tack to get more speed to get away. I had my hand on the starter button. It really scared the crap out of myself and my wife. It was a beautiful day out in the Sound, what was their damn hurry anyway. Sometimes I wonder if they think it's fun or something.

We now have the last page reserved in our log book to capture the boat names/desc of these idiots. I hope to see them in a marina someday. Maybe we should have reserved two pages in our log book.

The boat was "Serious Freedom" dark blue hull with a white flying bridge, 50 foot trawler.
Oh, and the captain had a mole on his forehead with two or three white hairs sticking out of it.
Did you try hailing them to discover their intentions? Were you listening on 16 in case they tried to hail you? Not defending them but a chat can usually clear things up quickly.

I have had many conversations with large lux yachts to ascertain their intentions. I have also been contacted by some to let me know what they are doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-22-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

With a name like "Serious Freedom," I might be worried about them being armed, so I am not sure if I would hail them!

Funny term Fast Trawler, I understand what it means(a trawler that will plain), but is is kind of an oxymoron by nature. They sure take a lot of fuel to get going that fast, just take solace in the fact that they are burning up there money so fast they may not be able to go out many more times!

Is this them?

Quote:
Vessel Name: SERIOUS FREEDOM USCG Doc. No.: 1063350
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: WCY8487
Hull Material: STEEL Hull Number: 3
Ship Builder: THE TRAWLER (CANADA) CORP
Year Built: 1998

Length (ft.): 53
Hailing Port: ANACORTES WA Hull Depth (ft.): 10
Owner: RAYMOND F JARRIS JR.
1277 VIA TOSCANA LANE
GREENBANK, WA 98253
Hull Breadth (ft.): 16.5
Gross Tonnage: 58
Net Tonnage: 46
Documentation Issuance Date: March 20, 2013 Documentation Expiration Date: April 30, 2014
Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: DONALD R. CLARKE
DONALD R. CLARKE
found here: Office of Science and Technology
SloopJonB likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-22-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think you mistook his skull for that mole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Looks like a good candidate for some 03:00 phone calls.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-22-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Did you try hailing them to discover their intentions? Were you listening on 16 in case they tried to hail you? Not defending them but a chat can usually clear things up quickly.

I have had many conversations with large lux yachts to ascertain their intentions. I have also been contacted by some to let me know what they are doing.
I was on 16. The boat was well past us before we could see the name on the vessel. We really did not have time anyway. We wasted two minutes discussing about what the heck he was doing, then we ran out of time and just got out of there. That was a lesson learned. It was a very strange situation.