Powerboaters Are Funny - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 117 Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
The first think I found out when I got a 16 foot power boat was that larger power boats were quite dangerous to me. They had NOT ONE CLUE as to the right-of-way rules between powerboats and hitting a large wake at 30-40 knots in a light boat can do some real damage. Another thing I found out was some sailors would give me the finger when I waved to them even though I am skimming along leaving about as much wake as a canoe and my underwater exhaust engine was as silent as could be
You were in a power boat - you deserved it.

The best line I ever heard about the sail VS power thing was that "Sailors tend to view powerboaters the way aristocratic Romans viewed the Goths"

Pretty well describes it I think.
CalebD and chip like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 117 Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
So you agree that they are simply clueless.
Could be in many cases, and for those who do understand the effect of their wakes, they probably have a good laugh while turning your sailboat into an industrial sized clothes dryer with you inside. "Jolly good fun, look at them bounce, lets go find some more to wash down"

Or run down, never assume they see you.

Paul T
post #43 of 117 Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

I always assume they can't. I find it's actually best to assume they are all below, drunk.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #44 of 117 Old 07-24-2013
Dirt Free

Power boaters are not the only drunks. For years I watched the LO300 (Lake Ontario 300 mile race) leave our yacht club for a non-stop 2-3 day race, usually around 180 boats ....... with at least 180 dock carts full of liquor and beer !

Dirt People Scare me
post #45 of 117 Old 07-24-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Or run down, never assume they see you.
What amazed me about your video is that neither boat altered their path. Forgive me for my lack of imagination, but I can't imagine neither person at the helm saw the other boat. And with all those people on board, you'd think someone would have been screaming. At least the guy on the bow had the sense to move aft.
post #46 of 117 Old 07-24-2013

Until they need a tow

In high school my girlfriend and I would spend the day on the river in her 13 foot Boston Whaler. We usually got enough cash tips from towing someone off of a sandbar or something to get a little gas and ice cream in Annapolis

And then there was the crew sailing a Cal 25 up the Severn around midnight with no lights at all showing. They were cussing and carrying on that I passed them "too close" when they are lucky I didn't kill them

You are also neglecting the entertainment aspect. One guy at my marina is blessed with a wife that is Dolly Parton like in dimensions and works the foredeck in a bikini. He is also blessed with a total lack of boat handling skills, so docking involves him hitting pilings, slamming the boat into and out of gear, and yelling at his wife while her accessories are getting sent various directions by all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You were in a power boat - you deserved it.

The best line I ever heard about the sail VS power thing was that "Sailors tend to view powerboaters the way aristocratic Romans viewed the Goths"

Pretty well describes it I think.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 07-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.
post #47 of 117 Old 07-24-2013

Pic taken recently:

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #48 of 117 Old 07-24-2013

I think there may be more of them?

Paul T
post #49 of 117 Old 07-24-2013

I don't really get the us vs. them (sail vs. power) mentality, but maybe it's different where you all are from. Around here, most folks on the water are pretty friendly people and I'd be just as likely to have a friendly interaction with a powerboat as a sailboat, whether at anchor or in the marina or wherever. Just last weekend I spent about an hour talking to an old salty dude at the pub next to my marina. He lives on a trawler in Florida in the winters and spends summers up my way with a smaller powerboat. Great guy, he told me all about cruising around the Bahamas on his boat. I certainly didn't look at him sideways because he does not sail.

As for competence, I spent 7 summers working at a busy municipal marina which saw about 50/50 power vs. sail transients coming and going on a daily basis. Sorry to say, but there were more mishaps around the docks involving sailboats than power boats (although power boat collisions tend to be worse). We would see 30' to 40' sailboats on a daily basis approach our docks without a clue how to operate under power.

I also agree with the comment about towing above. If I were to get stranded without wind and a failed engine, I have no doubt that a privately owned power boat would offer assistance and refuse anything but a beer back at the dock.

So, I see no reason to alienate myself from over half of the people I share my local waters with.
jrd22, Omatako, kellysails and 1 others like this.
post #50 of 117 Old 07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
What amazed me about your video is that neither boat altered their path. Forgive me for my lack of imagination, but I can't imagine neither person at the helm saw the other boat. And with all those people on board, you'd think someone would have been screaming. At least the guy on the bow had the sense to move aft.
"Otto" pilots? Maybe like this one?

Paul T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.