Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

This is mainly teh internetz entertainmentz
In real life I get along fine with all types of boaters. We recently had a raft-up that included 2 sailboats, a 26 foot powerboat, 2 jet-skis, and my dinghy pulling a tube. I have been sailing since being a toddler but also owned 2 different powerboats at various times. Look out the window - flat calm - maybe a better day to waterski than sail.

I even sort-of miss the hordes of obnoxious "motor yachts" that used to make an umbroken trail of diesel stink and huge wakes to any popular destination. For the last 5 years or so it has been more like "where is everyone" Nice as the quiet is, it is sad that a whole segment of boaters can't seem to afford to get out anymore. My marina is 1/3 empty and more than 1/2 of the remaining boats NEVER move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I don't really get the us vs. them (sail vs. power) mentality, but maybe it's different where you all are from. Around here, most folks on the water are pretty friendly people and I'd be just as likely to have a friendly interaction with a powerboat as a sailboat, whether at anchor or in the marina or wherever. Just last weekend I spent about an hour talking to an old salty dude at the pub next to my marina. He lives on a trawler in Florida in the winters and spends summers up my way with a smaller powerboat. Great guy, he told me all about cruising around the Bahamas on his boat. I certainly didn't look at him sideways because he does not sail.

As for competence, I spent 7 summers working at a busy municipal marina which saw about 50/50 power vs. sail transients coming and going on a daily basis. Sorry to say, but there were more mishaps around the docks involving sailboats than power boats (although power boat collisions tend to be worse). We would see 30' to 40' sailboats on a daily basis approach our docks without a clue how to operate under power.

I also agree with the comment about towing above. If I were to get stranded without wind and a failed engine, I have no doubt that a privately owned power boat would offer assistance and refuse anything but a beer back at the dock.

So, I see no reason to alienate myself from over half of the people I share my local waters with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
My marina is 1/3 empty and more than 1/2 of the remaining boats NEVER move.
True around here too.. and people are still asking top dollar for slips.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Whats odd to me is that it would seem the cost of fuel has kept many power boaters from using their boats, yet companies like Sabre have stopped production of their Sailboats, and it would seem power boat sales are increasing over sailboat? Or has that always been the case?

I know fuel sales are way down at our club, so that would indicate less use.
Old 07-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

As mentioned by a few others, this is mostly just entertainment..."making fun" if you will. In real life there is always a little tong & cheek among the two, but we're all out enjoying the water...just from two different perspectives.

Some of the most impressive boat docking skills I have ever observed were the guys running the sport fishing yachts at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. The other was the Captain of the Schooner Woodwind in Annapolis weaving through the mooring field under full sail. Both impressive for different reasons.
Old 07-24-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

There are several charter sailboats surrounding my slip. On a weekend morning, I can sit and watch the renters come and go and every one is an adventure. I often give them a hand. The way I see it, they are smarter than me, because if it floats, f*%ks or flies, rent it.
Old 07-24-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

A couple years ago we were sailing back to the harbor after a Saturday race. We had run late so it was 1700 or so and the "fleet" of pleasure craft was bearing down on the breakwater behind us...everything from skiffs to 80' tour boats. As we were about to enter the breakwater I looked back to check traffic and see the big 80' catamaran tour boat a few hundred feet behind us doing easy ess turns -- the rest of the fleet was lining up behind him. Not sure is the turns were to make him "wider" or if he wanted to keep some speed up for steerage, either way it took the stress of being run over away.

That tour boat skipper happens to own a very nice 38' cutter.

Just two days ago as we had made a quick pee stop for the dog and were in the process of raising the anchor when a sailboat with new owners (not sure of their boating experience) came into the cove and proceeded to drop anchor about 100' in front of us, didn't like the set and raised his anchor while drifting toward us. My anchor was off the bottom by then, I gave the Admiral the standard "get the heck away from this guy signal" and we departed the area. Not just the powerboaters.

A few days earlier a powerboat of about 30' anchored near us. He eased in and came to a stop in probably 30-40' of water then stationary started running out the anchor and chain. It sounded like he ran out about 500' of chain all while sitting still. There must have been a reef of galvanized links under him!! The prevailing wind was going to take him away so I wasn't concerned for my boat.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 07-24-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Still think when you see a charter boat like from Moorings be scared,be very scared. Ain't just them.
Old 07-24-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
As mentioned by a few others, this is mostly just entertainment..."making fun" if you will. In real life there is always a little tong & cheek among the two, but we're all out enjoying the water...just from two different perspectives.

Some of the most impressive boat docking skills I have ever observed were the guys running the sport fishing yachts at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. The other was the Captain of the Schooner Woodwind in Annapolis weaving through the mooring field under full sail. Both impressive for different reasons.
As mentioned earlier, I have had both including the identical to below. I am not so sure power boaters are as bad as their "image". The big difference is that they go faster & put up some big wakes. Like people in general, some are considerate and some not.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
Powerboaters Are Funny-alpine.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Like all generalizations there is some truth in it. Within each subset you will find widely varying degrees of skill and courtesy BUT - generally speaking I have found that sailors are more skilled and courteous than powerboaters.

Again, in my experience (40+ years) the really extreme jerks, clowns, stupids, drunks and loudmouths are almost invariably "driving" fast powerboats.

Racing sailors run a distant second.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-25-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Racing sailors and fisherman both contain subsets that demand rights that don't exist in the COLREGS. The worst possible situation is a bunch of fisherman trolling across a race course.
RobGallagher and SloopJonB like this.