Powerboaters Are Funny - Page 8 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree49Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 07-27-2013
JamesSkok's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 20
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
JamesSkok is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Getting back at motobo's with a dust cloud perhaps is the only way TO do it because they are otherwise clueless if you were to do it with a boat wake and I'd not want to create wake damage to any boats anyway.
My experience with motobo's was one I observed from a floating finger pier adjacent to a channel while the skipper's outspoken female passenger/girlfriend on the boat stopped for an infraction kept telling the state trooper that they were only going 10 mph insistently, repeatedly only 10mph and repeatedly insisting what could he be thinking of by stopping them. We weren't speeding, she nagged. I saw the speedometer; only 10, she said. The trooper politely ignored her as he asked the skipper for license and reg, etc. She continued to interrupt and nag the trooper that they WERE going slow and he was SOOO wrong. The young skipper was mortified by this time. The trooper then in a telling manner suggestive of one that Dennis Farina (RIP) would use looked from the skipper to her saying "lady, MOVE to the bow, you know, the front of the boat and shut it or I'll ticket you for interfering...MOVE NOW!". The skipper gingerly took girlfriend by the arm to the bow. The trooper explained to the skipper that "... it's not the speed cap, it's the WAKE! See the guy balancing on the bobbing finger pier (me!). Here's a warning this time 'cause you've got problems enough up in the bow. Have a good outing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #72  
Old 07-27-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ammymorcle is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Informative post. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #73  
Old 07-27-2013
rbrasi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 530
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 4
rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

..Aaaaannnd sometimes Powerboaters are sad.
Bride-to-be, best man missing after NY boat crash
__________________
1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #74  
Old 07-27-2013
PaulinVictoria's Avatar
Remember you're a womble
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sidney, BC
Posts: 1,919
Thanks: 7
Thanked 47 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 6
PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
One guy at my marina is blessed with a wife that is Dolly Parton like in dimensions and works the foredeck in a bikini. He is also blessed with a total lack of boat handling skills, so docking involves him hitting pilings, slamming the boat into and out of gear, and yelling at his wife while her accessories are getting sent various directions by all this
Now. Really. How could this not have been picked up on already? I'm disappointed in you all.
__________________
Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #75  
Old 07-27-2013
big dreams, little boat.
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oakland, CA USA
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
Lateen Luffer is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

My least favorite powerboats in the SF Bay are the ferryboats. They're huge, fast and cut a big wake. They also seem to see nothing wrong with buzzing right my a boat under sail. To my little boat the wake is a little scary- I've been spun around by it when I didn't know to fear it. I guess it's gross tonnage rules. ~LL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #76  
Old 07-27-2013
rhr1956's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Heath, TX
Posts: 487
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 5
rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSkok View Post
Getting back at motobo's with a dust cloud perhaps is the only way TO do it because they are otherwise clueless if you were to do it with a boat wake and I'd not want to create wake damage to any boats anyway.
My experience with motobo's was one I observed from a floating finger pier adjacent to a channel while the skipper's outspoken female passenger/girlfriend on the boat stopped for an infraction kept telling the state trooper that they were only going 10 mph insistently, repeatedly only 10mph and repeatedly insisting what could he be thinking of by stopping them. We weren't speeding, she nagged. I saw the speedometer; only 10, she said. The trooper politely ignored her as he asked the skipper for license and reg, etc. She continued to interrupt and nag the trooper that they WERE going slow and he was SOOO wrong. The young skipper was mortified by this time. The trooper then in a telling manner suggestive of one that Dennis Farina (RIP) would use looked from the skipper to her saying "lady, MOVE to the bow, you know, the front of the boat and shut it or I'll ticket you for interfering...MOVE NOW!". The skipper gingerly took girlfriend by the arm to the bow. The trooper explained to the skipper that "... it's not the speed cap, it's the WAKE! See the guy balancing on the bobbing finger pier (me!). Here's a warning this time 'cause you've got problems enough up in the bow. Have a good outing."
Problems in the bow...Halarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #77  
Old 07-27-2013
CalebD's Avatar
Tartan 27' owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,617
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 7
CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
..Aaaaannnd sometimes Powerboaters are sad.
Bride-to-be, best man missing after NY boat crash
I sail right in this area. They have barges moored in the river near the old bridge for work platforms for the new bridge footings they are making. Unfortunately for this group on the power boat, the barges are not lit up at night.

About a month ago I was sailing at night in this area with some friends from out of town. Logically, they wanted to sail right up to the bridge. Fortunately I remembered the stationary barges there and kept us some distance from the bridge and these floating hazards. Under a full moon we were close enough to see them. Moving at 5 knots has it's advantages...
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #78  
Old 07-28-2013
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,930
Thanks: 58
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
My least favorite powerboats in the SF Bay are the ferryboats. They're huge, fast and cut a big wake. They also seem to see nothing wrong with buzzing right my a boat under sail. To my little boat the wake is a little scary- I've been spun around by it when I didn't know to fear it. I guess it's gross tonnage rules. ~LL
That's Caribbean sailing rules - "De biggest boat got de right o' way mon".
__________________
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #79  
Old 07-28-2013
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,930
Thanks: 58
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
..Aaaaannnd sometimes Powerboaters are sad.
Bride-to-be, best man missing after NY boat crash
a "21' Stingray"?

Any bets on how fast they were going?
__________________
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #80  
Old 07-29-2013
Old enough to know better
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 2,353
Thanks: 18
Thanked 83 Times in 80 Posts
Rep Power: 9
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
a "21' Stingray"?

Any bets on how fast they were going?
Actually the boat did not look that damaged, at least in the fuzzy photos. But yes, folks do like to go way too fast at night after a few drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny Jim H General Discussion (sailing related) 12 12-13-2009 09:33 AM
Florida Powerboaters AtlanticBryan General Discussion (sailing related) 15 04-14-2008 11:09 PM
Funny pic Dave J Beckett Boat Review and Purchase Forum 0 07-05-2001 05:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.