Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Actually the boat did not look that damaged, at least in the fuzzy photos. But yes, folks do like to go way too fast at night after a few drinks.
This is a terribly sad story; I don't condone drinking and boating (or driving), but no one should jump to conclusions here. Enough can go wrong at night without alcohol being involved. I suggest everyone suspend their judgement of the operator until the facts are in. Whether he was drunk or not, he just killed his fiance and best friend. Whatever punishment society and the justice system imposes on him, it pales in comparison to what he is likely feeling on his own.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

Some of the most impressive boat docking skills I have ever observed were the guys running the sport fishing yachts at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. The other was the Captain of the Schooner Woodwind in Annapolis weaving through the mooring field under full sail. Both impressive for different reasons.
Up until a couple years ago that would have been my friend and current YC commodore, Ron.
Yep, Captain Ron.
Old 07-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I saw in the paper today that the "groom" is being charged heavily for that crash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Up until a couple years ago that would have been my friend and current YC commodore, Ron.
Yep, Captain Ron.
I believe Captain Ron's name is Ron Rico - same as the rum. Maybe he's still trying to outrun his past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-29-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

This past weekend we had a club outing...anyway the host boat was a beautiful Passport 44, with maybe the most incompetent skipper?

It took him three tries to set the anchor, then about 2 hours later while everyone was aboard their vessel enjoying stories and food...the anchor dragged. When he re-anchored the anchor went down and the engine off, no attempt to back down on it what so ever??? This was in a creek on the Chesapeake with probably a foot of silt? WTF

I would have liked to give a lesson on proper technique but the time and place was not appropriate, although in retrospect I wish I had. All the time we were having conversation all he did was name drop and sit rather arrogantly in his cockpit telling us all about how great his boat is. I would have enjoyed the conversation if I had respect for the guy, but don't lecture me on what the best furler is if you cant even anchor your freaking boat properly...what a douche bag

So its not just power boaters...although there was this PB who tried anchoring close to us...oh never mind...

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-29-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
My least favorite powerboats in the SF Bay are the ferryboats. They're huge, fast and cut a big wake. They also seem to see nothing wrong with buzzing right my a boat under sail. To my little boat the wake is a little scary- I've been spun around by it when I didn't know to fear it. I guess it's gross tonnage rules. ~LL
I wouldn't be messing around with no large ferry boat...I'm getting out of the way every time. I'm out on a pleasure cruise, they re working.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

So its not just power boaters...although there was this PB who tried anchoring close to us...oh never mind...
I know few here will want to hear this, but over my years of running both power and sail, I've found that as a rule, sailors tend to be far more 'judgemental' and prone to make assumptions about you depending upon what sort of boat you've just stepped off of, than powerboaters tend to be... I know it's a broad generalization, but I think sailors are far more likely to categorize 'boaters' according their type of boat, and to harbor certain prejudices about their boating 'opposites', than powerboaters do... By virtue of the simple fact I've arrived in a marina aboard a sportfisherman or motor yacht, it's very common that my neighbors in adjacent sailboats seem surprised I might have the slightest clue about their boats, or what they are doing cruising under sail... If I've arrived on a sailboat, and am in the midst of a bunch of powerboats, however, I rarely encounter the equivalent assumptions being made, I'm just another guy out enjoying being on the water, as they are...

Certainly, the broad level of animosity that sailors feel towards their powerboating brethren does not exist to the same degree among powerboaters, they tend to look upon us with a sort of bemusement, perhaps, but that's about it... And, I think we would all do well to remember, that if we should all be so fortunate to live long enough, chances are we will all ultimately wind up in a powerboat eventually, and that indeed the ranks of powerboaters today are increasingly being populated by former sailors...

As far as what goes on between the 2 cults on the ICW, sailors often bring many of their problems with powerboats upon themselves, unfortunately...

Just my opinion, of course...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
a "21' Stingray"?

Any bets on how fast they were going?
Actually the bow of this Stingray shows obvious evidence of a collision. I'm guessing at least 10 knots.
Can you imagine going 10+ knots and coming to an instant dead stop? Those people were thrown from the boat and likely bounced off the barge.
If you guys read the article carefully it is not the groom who is being charged but the boat owner. The groom lost his fiancee and best man in this accident. The captain is being charged on suspicion of intoxication which the article does not elaborate on. In any event: vehicular manslaughter.
Glad I'm not him as he is in a heap of trouble whether alcohol was involved or not.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-29-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=CalebD;1066043]If you guys read the article carefully it is not the groom who is being charged but the boat owner. The groom lost his fiancee and best man in this accident. The captain is being charged on suspicion of intoxication which the article does not elaborate on. In any event: vehicular manslaughter.
QUOTE]

Thanks for that clarification. I was one who misread the article to say that it was the groom-to-be who was the operator. Was it a boat for hire, or were they all just out for a ride?
Old 07-29-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

This weekend a very large cabin cruiser was tied at an visitor slip. One of those three level monsters with a power sliding glass door of the deck. An alarm was ringing and an odor in the air. Something went wrong and they pumped a couple hundred gallons of diesel from their bilge into the marina. We couldn't stay because the smell was so bad. A sail boat wouldn't have made that big of a mess, we don't hold that much fuel.