Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Smile Powerboaters Are Funny

We spent the day checking out Chicago marinas. We did a lot of walking and saw a lot of boats and a lot of activity.

As we were walking the seawall, we saw a man alone in a 40' Tartan pull into his slip and tie her down without assistance. The boat never even touched the dock or pilings.

A little later we heard a loud bang followed by a louder expletive. We turned and saw a 32' power boat with several shirtless men armed with beer cans scrambling around the deck. The stern had just been gouged by their neighbor's anchor and they were running to the bow to keep the other end from crashing into a different boat. But they didn't spill a drop of beer.

We saw a perfectly preserved 30 something foot wooden sailboat that glistened in the sun. Just down the dock was a 25' powerboat.

The name?

"Size Matters."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: Powerboaters Are Funny

I don't know about them being 'funny' but some power-boaters sure are stupid.

One bright sunny day I was at the top of the mast in the bosun's chair when along comes this power boat kicking up a great wash. I yelled out over the noise of his engine to slow down and gave the universal palms-downward "slow down" signal. The moron thought I was waving to him...although he never slowed down at least he had the manners??? to wave back.

At the marina I always try to moor next to and opposite nice well-kept sailing boats. Less fear of coming aboard to find gouges in my paintwork if I know my neighbours are sailors rather than mere drivers.
PsychedChicken and jromeski like this.
Old 07-22-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I love the names...news ones I've seen recently...

Beer Thirty
Thai One On

WTF?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Power boaters dont have the monopoly on stupidity or poor seamanship.There is as many inexperienced sailors as power boaters. We just don't do it with speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Power boaters dont have the monopoly on stupidity or poor seamanship.
But they certainly dominate the marketplace.

I was in the boatyard yesterday when they got a rush 1/2 lift request. A 40-ish foot cruiser came along to the lift bay trailing lines in the water on both sides. It looked like the docklines had been untied by people on the dock and just dropped in the water as the boat "drove" away.

The boat was hauled & washed etc - I didn't pay any attention.

It was dropped back in and as they were backing out I saw lines trailing in the water again. The hoist operator yelled at them to gather them in but just got blank looks in return. I finally told him to ignore it - more future business.

The reason for the lift? THREE lines from pot lines to 5/8" braid wrapped around the prop.

You sure CAN'T fix stupid.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

it isn't that powerboaters are more stupid than sailors.. it is that -anybody- can operate a powerboat. Have you watched the drivers in the cars around you? Most of them have trouble staying in a well marked lane that is surrounded by kerbs.. put that same lack of ability into a boat with "wide open" waters.. and chaos ensues.

A few of my co-workers are powerboaters.. If I use any nautical terms around them, I get blank looks
wind_magic and CaribDream like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-22-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

It just seems that the powerboaters have the market cornered on stupidity because there are so many of them. They out number sailors by what, eight to one?

That said there is much entertainment to be had by the write a check turn a key crowd.

OTOH, I know many powerboaters who as good as it gets with everything from boat handling to seamanship. But taking shots at the stereotype is fun!!!

For real entertainment hang out at a boat ramp!!!
SVAuspicious likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-22-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
At the marina I always try to moor next to and opposite nice well-kept sailing boats. Less fear of coming aboard to find gouges in my paintwork if I know my neighbours are sailors rather than mere drivers.
Good point!

The last marina we checked out yesterday is still pretty new and only about 25% full. The harbormaster said we could pick any slip we wanted as long as it fit our boat. We walked two docks. One had more powerboats than sailboats. The other had a bit more sailboats than powerboats. I stood there looking at an empty slip with two nicely kept sailboats on either side I felt our boat would be "at home" here. I thought our attraction to being next to other sailboats was mostly about being with like-minded people.

Then I read your comment and realized "at home" really meant "safe".
Old 07-22-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
I am both a sailor and a powerboater. I have to agree with "mad machine" here. It's so easy for someone to have limited knowledge and still operate a powerboat while sailing almost forces a little more education.

That being said, after all these years I am really getting prejudice with jet skis. When I see one now, I immediately think "moron is about to do something stupid" and I prepare for evasive action. It's probably wrong to think that negatively but I admit I do. And kids... I am so sick of seeing kids on these things. By far the most dangerous on my ranking list.

Next worse for me are parents/adults letting far too young kids drive jet skis. I saw an older lady with a little kid sitting in front of her. I was turning to port to go into a channel. Seeing them coming I hugged the nav marker leaving about 200 yards of open water for them to pass me on my starboard side to continue up the lake. As they came closer it was apparent they were about to do something stupid. I slowed to an almost stop. Thank goodness I did as they passed me on my port side in the 5 feet between me and the marker and then cut hard in front across my bow to continue going straight, not into the channel. Um, I think it would be wise to TAKE THE CONTROL FROM YOUR CHILD at that point. They continued oblivious.

Old 07-22-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

For years sailing in a crowded bay one has to learn to live with powerboaters who either don't know the rules or don't care about them. As well, there seemed to be a common lack of courtesy coming from powerboaters coming from this one marina in particular. There was no give in these people who's boats threw three and four foot wakes. You know the type. They appoach at max speed, pass within 50 fifty feet and then everyone on the boat turns to see what the wake does to the little sailboat.

So after a summer of this arrogant treatment i decided to go over to the powerboat marina to check it out. You ever have one of those moments when a devilish thought comes into your head and you decide to go for It? You know it's wrong but? Well i happen to drive over in my Grand Cherokee right at dinner time on Saturday night. All the barbeques were fired up. People out holding their beers. Some already sitting down and eatting. The marina has a five mile an hour speed limit and the roadway thru is dirt. Which after a week or so without rain was now coated with a fine layer of dust. Even at five mph I was kicking some dust. I thought damn this is perfect!!!! i made sure i knew where the exit was and then gunned it. I did a lap through the place at 35mph that put so much dust in the air I couldn't see ten feet behind the car! I could hear people screaming at me and some had actually started running towards the car to stop me. But i had the speed and the angle. After a mile long lap I was out the gate and gone! The place looked like the dust bowl on the bay! Oh sweet satisfaction!!!

Yeah, I know, wrong and stupid! But I sure felt better!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJC45 For This Useful Post:
JamesSkok (07-27-2013), Mark1948 (07-26-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.