SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Tacktick and Navman - help needed (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101648-tacktick-navman-help-needed.html)

Leamar 07-22-2013 06:04 AM

Tacktick and Navman - help needed

Hello everyone - first poster here

I am based in Spain, and have a techy questionon electronics (on behalf of my father). He sails a Jeanneau Sunfast 31, and is looking to replace the electronics (wind,speed, depht and display). He currently has a Navman 3100, and he is looking at a Tacktick wind T033 and a display. These work wirelessly. His depth and speed units are just about ok, and he is pondering whether he can replace the wind and display now, and wait until the end of the summer when the boat comes out to replace the depth and speed units. The question we have is whether it is possible to buy a transmitter to connect the remaning Navman 3100 speed and depht units to the Tacktick wireless display? Any help most appreciated, thanks in advance for your answers.

T37Chef 07-22-2013 08:27 AM

Re: Tacktick and Navman - help needed

I have Tack Tick on my boat for about 5 years now. I have been very pleased with them.

Some with more tech knowledge will chime in and I would contact TT/Raymarine support as well. The only issue I can foresee is you would have to sync the other head units once they are installed. You could probably use the same transducers the Navman uses, probably the same or very similar? (I believe there are only a couple of transducer manufacturers and most of the common brands use the same ones.) I am not familiar with what the current packages are that TT is offering, I installed to T 104 plus a remote unit as well.

Leamar 07-22-2013 11:32 AM

Thank you for the reply! - nice to have good feedback on TT. I spoke to a very helpful retailer in the uk, and it looks like we are going to have to replace the whole kit anyway. Looks like Raymarine has brought TT and is delisting all the entry level TT kit.

T37Chef 07-22-2013 11:53 AM

FWIW, I know some highly respected posters, Maine Sail for example, have had less than stellar reviews of TT stuff.

capta 07-22-2013 05:23 PM

Not to be an ass or anything, but why would you need to connect the TT to the old instruments? Isn't the TT a stand alone item anyway?
If it's true that Raymarine has bought TT, then that is a real shame. Other than their ST-60 gear, I've been most displeased with their equipment and customer service. Hopefully, they will go under for a third time (or is it the fourth?) and have to sell TT to a company with better customer service.

jimrafford 07-22-2013 06:30 PM

I had the entry level package on our last boat. Liked them enough to install on our current boat. Gets rid of a lot of wire.
Raymarine has purchased Tack Tick. If raymarine is discontinuing the entry level instruments I would grab a package ASAP.
Jim

bshipp 07-23-2013 07:26 AM

I have the TT wireless wind instruments, the T120 and the T112. I have not been overwhelmed by them. The first unit did not work reliably, and I ended up replacing the display. That fixed the problem, but recently I have noticed that the display appears to freeze, requiring that I turn it off and on again. I have not bothered to integrate the unit with the rest of my nav system, and I will probably replace the tacktick with something else when I drop the mast again.