Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013

Old dream is on a distinguished road
Keel cooling

Is their any reason I shouldn't use keel cooling with my yanmar sb12 on my 29 ft boat. How much drag can I expect to have . No interest in racing just want trouble free cooling. I have set it up on power boats with car engines that we modified but drag was not a issue for just cruising in the local bays and inlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel cooling

We used Walter Keel Coolers on a series of 34' hydrographic survey launches for Canadian Fisheries and Oceans in the 90's. Since we were laying up hulls on site we built foam blocks as hull recessess so coolers would be flush, reducing drag. Worked great, but drag could be a serious issue for you at sailing speeds. Best to get some serious designer input here.
Old 07-23-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

I've thought of that on occasion. Many of the boats and in particularly fish boats up here use keel coolers. They seem to work very well. This is just a guess but I think you would definitely need one on each side and you would loose half the cooling effect when your heeled over. Even if it's recessed you would get lots of drag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 07-23-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't using a keel cooler mean that the engine would have a dry exhaust? Not a problem on a larger motorboat, but I would think a dry (and very hot) exhaust on a sailboat could be problematic.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-23-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Wouldn't using a keel cooler mean that the engine would have a dry exhaust? Not a problem on a larger motorboat, but I would think a dry (and very hot) exhaust on a sailboat could be problematic.
That was my initial thought when I started reading this thread. Thinking about my boat, I don't see anyway to make dry exhaust work.
Old 07-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I've had keel coolers on workboats but they had exhausts that went up vertically through the deck. A small keel cooler would create very little drag but you'd still need to keep a wet exhaust unless you could devise some sort of exhaust exit that wouldn't melt lines or sails. Fumes might also be a problem. On workboats you're usually in the cabin when motoring and the exhaust pipe is pretty high.
Old 07-23-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Keel cooling is on the list of things I would like to do with my boat since I have a RW cooled engine. It's the least troublesome form of FW cooling there is.

For a sailboat, you would want to use a "Package Cooler" from Fernstrum or Walters instead of a bunch of pipe looped back and forth. You will be surprised how small it is for 20-30 hp. The boundary layer gets so thick towards the back of a boat that the drag won't be significant with a wedge in front of and behind the cooler.

Dry exhaust isn't practical. You will need to install a second water pump belted off the engine to provide exhaust water. You will also need a small header tank.

Raw water cooled engines like mine have a thermostat set to a temperature that is too low for optimum operation. This is necessary to keep salt deposits from quickly building up. One of the main reasons I would like to convert to keel cooling is to get the engine running hotter as well as being able to make domestic hot water.

Yanmar does not sell a thermostat with a higher setting which will fit my engine so I would need to remove the thermostat and replace it with an external one that would keep all the water in the keel cooler loop at the right temperature. As you can see, there are some design and engine specific issue so a keel cooler conversion should be done with some informed professional help.
Old 07-23-2013

Old dream is on a distinguished road

I will look into package coolers. I have only used cooling pipes on my power boats. Sailing is new to me takes a different mind set for sure. Still haven't found a good option for the exhaust. Don't like running a extra pump if I can help it back to the same problem I have now. Kelp,sea grass,plastic,jelly fish, all that good stuff plugging the intake. But at least I could throw a bucket of water on the pipe till I was out from the beach. I just love poking about in the little bays and estuaries ware most people don't go.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.