Tumblehome stern - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2004 Thread Starter
dnr

Tumblehome stern

Does anyone know when this term originated, and who started it?

Thanks
Doug
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2004

Tumblehome stern

The term ''Tumblehome'' is quite an old term. I believe that I have seen reference to the term in late 19th century descriptions of vessels. The term is probably a lot older than that even. The term refers to feature of a boat design where the topsides (between the waterline and the deck) at the deck is narrower than the topsides lower on the hull.

The source of the term is pretty much self evident as the topsides ''tumble'' in toward the deck.

The use of tumblehome came into being for one of three reasons. The earliest form of tumblehome appears on multidecked warships as a way to move the heavy weight of cannons and ball in towards the center line of the ship as their tophamper weight was being located higher in the air.

When tumblehome occurs on non military vessels and somewhere near amidships it generally came into being as a way of cheating a measurement rule (either taxation or racing) where the measurements are taken at the deck or at some arbitrary point on the topsides.

The Third reason for having tumblehome usually occurs near the transom and are typically assocated with elliptical transoms. In the days when the boom often hung well past the transom and the sheets were often run to boomkins, the tumblehome at the transom kept lines from fouling on the corners of the transom.

When you see tumblehome in a boat today it is generally a stylistic thing trying to harken back to some other era. From a yacht design standpoint, the traditional forms of tumblehome do nothing good for a boat.

That said some modern race boats have taken to radiusing the deck near the rail as a way of reducing drag when rail down, increasing the limit of positive stability, and reducing weight aloft and outboard.

One last point, I don''t know that I have ever seen the term ''tumblehome stern''. I would think that the proper syntax would be ''tumblehome at the stern'' as in ''she displacyed a lot of tumblehome at her stern''.

Jeff
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2004

Tumblehome stern

Ahoy me matey ye be on the right tack, why I be knowing more dan a few of de ladies wit de tumblehome transoms in me time and while it may be that sailboats don''t benefit much me Pirate''s libido sure gets a work out when I sees one. AARRGGHH. Pirate of Pine Island / Cape Coral.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Tumblehome stern

No no you''ve all got it wrong. When Big Red the "POPI" drinks too much rum, which probably happens quite frequently, he (s)tumbles home. They just shorten the word to tumblehome. TRUE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.